Quantcast

Are we going to the Zoo?

Colm
It's been mooted on here for a few years that I would take up the mantle of hosting the threads discussing their routines.

My idea was, when Ryan completes his thread of Legs and Co routines in 1981, to immediately commence the same for the Zoo routines, working along similar lines to the reviews done for the other troupes...

...but given the ever-changing line-up of the troupe, I would retire the option of voting for a Dancer of the Day - honorary votes can be suggested if you wish, but won't be counted.

I'd also only open threads for proper routines (as listed on Popscene via the old database on the BBC TOTP website), and just give a nod to the other performances where Zoo members provide any sort of accompaniment, as this was more of their forte than the preceding companies.

Scores would still be welcomed, and if given, would sit alongside the many votes cast for PP, RF and L&C's routines.

However, I know the enthusiasm for this troupe isn't as high as that for Pan's People, Ruby Flipper and Legs and Co. Save for a handful of routines, I'm not entirely certain if the thread will receive the level of support the others have had, continue to have, and will potentially have in the future.

If a Zoo discussion thread area is something the forum users may not be interested in taking part in, I am happy not to proceed with leading on this, and I am happy to leave any discussion of Zoo to PD/AC's individual episode threads.

What do you all think? Any comments or observations would be welcome.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Old Grey Whistler
Hi, Colm. Given that Ryan's strapline at the top of the page says "Discussing Legs & Co, Pan's People, Ruby Flipper and other television dance troupes"  then I think a Zoo comments thread would be justified, and I would personally take part in it.  Lets see what the others think as there is no point in you putting in the effort if only 4 or 5 are interested.
One possible problem you may have is whether you would have links for all of their performances. Andee has advised us that he will not be uploading them, and YMG has thus far not included any on his blog other than Sue's performance.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Its a tough call Colm. At this rate i will still be doing the Legs comments well into 2016, as its a struggle to get the minimum 10 sets of score ratings a week for me to move on to the next routine. So you may be waiting a long time if you want the Legs comments to end.

You may have been best (though that moments gone now) to have commenced Zoo comments at the time they appeared on the BBC4 re-runs, what was that around 4 weeks ago now? The routines would have been fresh in our heads and it would have been no problems having Zoo & late Legs comments running simultaneously.

My biggest fear on your suggestion is forum enthusiasm for Zoo, especially folks commenting and rating routines that are not so familiar and easily accessed like the three main troupes.

Colm, if you want my honest opinion, then i reckon you had it about right when wrote said "leave any discussion of Zoo to PD/AC's individual episode threads". But others can still give their opinions on this.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Colm, I appreciate your willingness to host a possible Zoo comments thread. But you asked for an honest opinion, so here's mine.

Since the beginning of this year, when the double dose of TOTP started, I've been struggling even with the L&C ratings and comments. And taking into account Ryan's previous post, it seems I'm not the only one.
The reasons are manyfold. To begin with, I'm actually more a Pan's People fan. Don't get me wrong, I like Legs & Co., but I miss my favourite troupe now that discussions about PP seem to have died. Secondly, 1981 has not really been a good year regarding the performances as far as I'm concerned. To tell the truth, if I only knew the routines from 1981, I'm not sure if I had ever become a big fan of the dancers. And thirdly it doesn't help that the routines are presented in the comments section only months after they were shown on BBC4.
I do plan to finish my comments on the L&C routines eventually, but currently I don't really think I'll be willing to become a regular participant in a potential Zoo thread because what I have seen of Zoo so far doesn't thrill me at all. It leaves me stone-cold.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments, but that's just the way it is.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

I will still be looking in on the repeats, either as broadcast or via the iPlayer, but my interest in Zoo was minimal before they made their first repeat appearance and so far nothing has appeared to change that.  I'm sure there will be two or three interesting dance routines to come but the chances of my regularly partaking in dedicated comments threads about them are remote at best.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Doc
Maybe post a few screenshots along with some facts such as who the dancers were. That would make a reasonable reference section. People could make comments and give scores if they wished.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Hi Colm and thanks for approaching this issue in such a sensible manner.  I have thought about this for a while and my answer is similar to what I see in most of the other members here, in that I have enjoyed a few Zoo performances but in my heart of hearts I just don't have the interest in this group of Dancers that I have in the three previous Troupes and I can't honestly commit to commenting regularly without this spark and connection.  I think leaving comments to the AC threads is fine too and I do hope you'll keep posting Colm.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

My suggestion would be to start a Zoo Comments Section along the lines of the others. Then to take stock of how things are going once a few routines are up. If participation is poor then knock it on the head as it wouldn't be worth your time and effort Colm. I had thought this might just be viable but judging by the feedback so far I sadly have to say I'm rather more pessimistic now. I agree that the fact we'll be commenting about five months after the routines have aired on BBC Four and the possible absence of links does the cause no good.

But as well as the importance of a dedicated section for discussing the final phase of Flick's work on TOTP a ZCS would help keep OFTD ticking along once we've hit the bottom of the Legs & Co well around October. And however it would go I can at least think of one routine already screened that's guaranteed double figure ratings in more ways than one...so even if this doesn't go ahead an extremely selective ark is a must.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Suefan
Gorgeous Daze wrote
......however it would go I can at least think of one routine already screened that's guaranteed double figure ratings in more ways than one...
I've already released said routine from the confines of the Zoo and appropriated it to my Legs Lists and I recommend a similar appropriation over its eventually forthcoming comments thread !

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Gorgeous Daze wrote
My suggestion would be to start a Zoo Comments Section along the lines of the others.
Given the response so far from the others on this, i cant see that a dedicated Zoo comments thread to be a winner. If this had been done at the time of Zoo's introduction to the show, then maybe yeah. With the downbeat comments so far, id be surprised if i create a Zoo sub-forum for comments. If Legs are struggling to reach ten sets of comments per routine these days, then Zoo would also. I do think the best way to comment on Zoo is through AC's weekly TOTPs thread, and i encourage folk to do so on that.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Dancer
Yes I thought about this initially but as members have stated above and Ryan I don't see the point in a whole new entity for Zoo because there was so many of them and I noticed in one comment last week that one or two dancers do not appear until 16 months down the line.  I don't know who is who.  Like Vintage Videos I am a huge Pans People fan and I am sad that comments have gone by the way side a little but I intend to put a fresh topic on that one soon.  I also enjoyed Ruby Flipper and Legs of course but Zoo are not tickling my pickle at all.  I did like the Get Down on It dance but that may be because it was a good well rehearsed dance that was easily interpreted and plus the fact the lovely Anita was there.  There are just so many in the group that I could never identify a single dancer.  I think (from my opinion) that we should comment on the dances as Ryan places the individual TOTP topics on here but this is my opinion and is without prejudice.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Colm
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I'll go with the apparent consensus, and leave discussion of Zoo routines to the relevant episode threads.

However, what about the routines on Yewtree'd episodes?

I reckon they deserve a shout-out, as there's a few which will be of interest to the board (the Christmas '81 double-bill of "Can You Feel It" and "O Superman"; the return of Mary on "Don't Walk Away"; the last dance for both Anita and Mary on the Hill Street Blues theme - and an honourable mention for the first Jeffrey Daniel solo to "A Night to Remember").

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Dancer
Thanks for that Colm.  I never thought of the Yewtree'd editions.  I was drawn to your last paragraph as I had never seen these performances and moreover that Mary returned.  I tend to like Zoo's performances more when Anita is with them and she is an excellent dancer.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Who's That Hurll
Colm, do you know who the girl in the gold top is from the 24/12/81 episode? Was she a regular member of Zoo?

WTH

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

I know i'm not Colm but she is called Erica.As well as dancing to Altered Images on 24.12.81 she was on the 01.07.82 show dancing to Yellow Pearl.

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

SuPaLu
Here's Mary as part of Zoo dancing to 'Don't Walk Away'.
Hot Gossip's Mark Tyme is there along with Eddie who i love in Roxy's 'Take A Chance With Me'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4bRyH4Lqk

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

Doc
Always nice to see more of Mary!

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

According to the the thread below (created by Colm), Erica appeared 4 times with Zoo.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/List-of-Zoo-appearances-per-dancer-tp4007535.html

Re: Are we going to the Zoo?

SuPaLu, have you given any further thought to creating a pictorial identification guide to members of Zoo which you said you'd consider compiling earlier this year?