BABY STOP CRYING -- [August]

BABY STOP CRYING Dance/performance number 117 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Bob Dylan  and reaching number 13 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   10/08/78  Duration of dance --  2.37 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Sue.

Pauline 111
Sue      107
Rosie    105
Lulu     104
Patti     104
Gill       103
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12a8v4_legs-co-baby-stop-crying-totp-tx-10-08-1978_creation

  Its not often i come across a record that Legs & Co danced too that i cant stand, but unfortunately this is one such occasion. How this man, with his morose and gloomy singing style is liked and admired is beyond me, but hey, each to their own.
  Gill danced beautifully here and took full advantage of Flicks choice to make her the lead for this. I have in the past been on Gills case in the odd performance, mainly 77, but in 78 she has been bang on the money in most routines. Theres something about a pretty girl in a red dress that i find appealing, and how i love Gills hair. I reckon she could have been a `Harmony Hairspray` girl back in the late 70s.
   Nice touch by Flick to deck the others out in identical blue dresses, but they don't have the striking affect of the lady in red. Having the dancers in silhouette is another of FCs traits, and we will see this used again 2 or 3 times in the future.

The rating on this one for me will suffer because of the cheerless way the song is delivered, `7 out of 10`

DOTD--No brainer for me and most of you i guess, the gorgeous `Gill`.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Paperboyplod
Another of those routines, featuring the best of both worlds, a group dance, with a solo performance as well, in this case by courtesy of Gill, in a stunning full-length red dress, she clearly stands out, against, the other four dancers, sans Rosie, in their complementary blue outfits, during the fleeting moments that we actually set them properly, for most of the time, they're only silhouettes.

8/10

DotD:-

Gill

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Andeebee
I'm in Ryan's camp over this, great routine, dreadful song, if this was done to another track it would be full marks, but alas I can only deliver

7/10

and of course like everyone else Gill will sweep the board for DOTD in that striking red dress and Goldilocks hair.

I'm hoping at least one from next week will sweep full marks, not gonna say which one.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

AC/PD
Ryan's NOT camp, Andee.

It's a nice expressive dance to a song which sounds like it was recorded back in 1970.
Totally tough to dance to, but Flick and the ladies have essentially made the best of a tough situation with effective silhouettes and shredded dresses.
It would be a travesty if the original lady in red, with her sensitive dance moves, wasn't to clean-sweep the DOTD accolade.
7/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

I like this interpretation and I agree the downer here is Mr Dylan with his whiny song and perennially dodgy vocal performance.  I must defend his record however and say that he has many great tunes and fantastic lyrics to his name and albums such as Desire and Blood on the Tracks fully justify his legendary status.  Sometimes one has to listen to people covering his songs to appreciate this most, like Springsteen's stirring version of Chimes of Freedom.  Anyway back to our subject matter.  I like the silhouettes and the blue team vs red team approach and Gill is truly outstanding and very sensual here.  The usually unbeatable blue team therefore takes a thorough whupping from the triumphant red team resulting in DotD for Gill and 7.5/10 on the scoreboard.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Fantastic routine with Legs and Co interpreting Dylan with stunning simplicity, with disco anthems all conquering in 1978 I fully appreciate this musical diversion. 9/10, Dotd Gill

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Colm
I won't be the one to upset the red apple cart...

DotD: The arresting and beautiful Gill

Score: 8.5

Definitely got props for the "blue team" - another glorious opportunity for them to execute individual moves.

...and I don't mind "Baby Stop Crying" as a song, but Dylan's earlier work is more palatable to me.
Stu

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Stu
This post was updated on .
Not keen on the song, I've never really been able to see the appeal in Dylan's music to be honest. However we're not here to mark him, we're here to hand out scores and opinions on the real talent on show, and I thought, bearing in mind the song, that the girls did a pretty good job of it, and I found myself quite enjoying this more artistic routine. As others have alluded to, the DOTD is a no brainer.

7/10

DOTD - Gill

Stuey

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
I'm another one who has never seen the appeal in Bob Dylan. Especially his vocals. He seems to have a disproportionate amount of dull, earnest sorts among his fan base. So it's to my surprise that I think this song is good; it reminds me of Kevin Ayers.  All it needs is another singer!

Four dancers in silhouette mark the song's excellent intro before giving way to Gill. It's almost like a fanfare. Because I believe this could well be Gill's finest moment up to this point. Her turn in the spotlight in this vivid red dress is accomplished, sultry and conveying of emotion. For all of them it's a performance of moves more than dancing and it works very well with the song. And the mixture of silhouettes, translucent images, and overlays are also effective. Putting the dancers behind screens can often be off target, but I think it works this time. I like how after keeping us on tenterhooks the sky blue quartet finally emerge from silhouette in a dignified line at the commencement of the second verse. But even before the end when they shrink back into shadows there's no doubt who is the star of the show.

A sensitive routine.

DOTD Gill.  8.5/10

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Suefan
Not I should imagine an easy song to choreograph but Flick provides an interesting visual delight.  Aside from "Danicin Easy" I believe this was Gill's first proper TOTP moment in the spotlight and boy its been worth waiting for.  So Gill for Dotd and an 8 for the routine.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

L&C4me
This post was updated on .
9/10 - DOTD Gill

Dylan Baby Stop Crying

Sue , Patti, Pauline, & Lulu are clothed in elemental aqua blue. They are goddesses of water, Chalchiuhtlicue and represent the flowing barrier Gill must cross to get to the  bad man she loves who is on the other side.

The opening scene sees our dancers in silhouette, showing the river ebbing, flowing and meandering. Lovely Patti then guides us to a very beautiful Gill for the start of her wonderful routine.  Gill opens by pointing and looking up from the bottom; where she has been with a man who treats her badly.

Gill often has the classic look an English village teenage beauty, lovely to behold. However,  I have not seen her look lovelier than during this routine. In fact she is quite spectacular! Her dance movements are smooth , broad, flowing, sweeping and very elegant.

Dylan comes in now with his story. He says she is back where she belongs and so is probably her husband who is trying to console her. He fails dismally because in his frustration and bewilderment. He tells her to get his pistol, possibly to deal with the bad boyfriend she is upset over.  At the same time he's telling her that she knows that to him, she can't do wrong and also to him, the sun will always shine. He wants to stop her pain and help her.

He tells her to go down to the river, as we see our water goddesses emerge as a flowing current, swimming and ebbing. He tells her he will meet her to pay for her to cross. Gill is now seen trapped behind the barrier she sees in her mind.

I like very much the way the girls dance in differing movements as we see at this point in the routine.

The song is a bit miserable because of the conflict and heartache in the story. It was never that successful but the music has a nice quality about it. Again, Flick Colby & legs & Co have enhanced this into quite an artistic  and beautiful ensemble.
Jim

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Doc
One of the easiest dotd decisions ever. The lady in red Gill.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

VintageVideos
Love L&C4me's explanation of the routine. I was instantly hooked by this one when I first saw it a few weeks ago, it's more like a piece of art to me and not just plain entertainment. Definitely one of my favourite Legs & Co. routines (and I don't mind the song either). Gill is simply breathtaking.

9.75 /10   DotD: Gill
Vin

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
9/10  DOTD...Gill

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

bucksby
boring song (how did it get to 13?) but the girls and Flick have saved it with a pretty good routine and a fantastic solo from Gill. Gill is of course DOTD and the routine gets a 9. It is always an achievement when Legs make a dull song worth sitting though

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

With this routine to Bob Dylan's Baby Stop Crying. We have one dominate dancer in this routine. This is the lady in the red shredded dress, Gill who does a great solo alway through. The other ladies are in gray shredded dresses doing dance movement. Mostly in shadow behind white screens. The only time we see the ladies is for a few moments and behind the screens again.

The Dotd goes to Gill.

The score 6 out of 10.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Old Bill
I can not stand Bob Dlyan. Right, ok now let's move on.

This is a very imaginative and creative dance - like someone said above - more of a piece of art or an interpretation of the song, than a straight forward dance. And well done Flick for that. And it's all very well executed, so well done girls for that.

But such stuff is wasted on such a simple unreconstructed philistine such as me, it all looks very clever and impressive but I don't get it. I'm sure all the silhouettes and the position changes mean something... but God knows what. I want a nice fun jolly dance to watch and forget about the world - not a piece of arty theatre, but that's what Bob Dlyan demands I suppose. Good dances come from good tunes, pop or rock n roll etc., not Dylan's dirgey pretentious 6th form nonsense. His reputation precedes him in my mind, and I don't even know if he's singing a nice cheer-up-luv song about a heart-broken song, or he's banging on about Kissinger's handling of the oil crisis. Or something. Anyways, we're not here to moan about Zimmerframeman but to love our dancers. Which I do - but not this dance much.

Also, I'm not really a fan of when everyone is doing their own little thing at the same time.

6/10 and Gill DotD, of course.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
I have to confess that I am a Bob Dylan fan, although I think by 1978 his best years had probably passed.
Flick has tapped into the meaning of the song well, and choreographed a nice artistic routine. I like the bit where the ladies in blue emerge, but the star of the show is undoubtedly Gill who is stunning in this.
I will score this 8 out of 10 with Gill as DOTD.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Doc
Not a song that you would expect to have a good routine for but this one works well. One slight niggle is that you can see the girls through the screens as well as the shadows. 9/10.

Re: BABY STOP CRYING -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
The set, with it's shiny floor and glass screens reminds me of the type seen on chat shows or variety shows and that gives it a professional touch. Gill looks ravishing in red and gives full expression to a Bob Dylan song that may have seemed a difficult proposition on paper. 8.5/10  DOTD The Lady in Red.
WTH