BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- [May]

BACK IN LOVE AGAIN   Dance/performance number `100` by Legs & Co
Performed by    Donna Summer  and reaching number 29 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  04/05/78  Duration of dance --  2.29 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie

Pauline 96           Gill 92
Lulu 93               Patti 92
Rosie 93              Sue 91
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23krk5_legs-co-back-in-love-again-totp-tx-04-05-1978_creation

  The 8th out of 12 performances that Legs & Co did for Ms Summer`s songs. What i be correct in saying this is the weakest song that Legs danced too from her, the clue to that is the final chart position, 29. Actually Flicks produced perfect choreography here, gentle rhythmic dancing which matched up quite nicely to the blandness of the song. The costumes that shes decked them out in are in my opinion a bit to `mumsy`. The sort of thing the girls would of wore when picking the kids up from school in the early 90s. Not sure if the thing they are dancing around is meant to represent a fountain or some kind of large garden feature, but again it kinda works in this routine.

  Sue certainly picked a good couple of weeks to jet of to the Med, these last two have been ones to miss. DOTD, well those costumes seem to be perfect for curly top girls, and `Pauline` gets the nod here.

  My rating, well its not a great routine, but on saying that the routine that Flick came up with matched the song so well, so i will be generous and give it 6.75 out of 10.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Andeebee
I flatly refuse to watch this, the version on the blog and on my UKGold copy is muddy, the BBC4 version is lighter so will put this up on Sunday, where I will flatly refuse to watch it.

It's not great, it's a weak song that shouldn't of been picked for a routine, very poor.  it's not the fault of Legs or Donna Summer's fault, but the company (suspect Casablanca) who decided to issue this poor fare for a single release, it's not like the world is starved of a Donna Summer single.

The next single of notice is MacArthur Park, which if you haven't seen it I won't spoil i for you, it's a strange routine.

nothing to say on this, looks like Xmas has come early for this routine with lots of tinsel....the only bit of interest is when you get the close-ups of the girls with the bad (or good) idea of back lighting which almost made their flimsy tops see thru...

hard to pick a dancer:-

Rosemary

marks: 2.5

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Doc
For looking pretty in pink, I'm going for Rosemary.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

This is one of those routines, that easily out-shines the song accompanying it, but that doesn't mean that the routine's truly outstanding, the set looks nice enough, it has a kind of Shakespearian feel to it, the ladies do some nice dance moves, I particularly like the close-up poses for the camera, as the girls sashay around the stage. The costumes look a little frumpy, so that doesn't really help matters, overall it's a good routine, but it would've been enhanced by a better choice of sound-track.

7/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Old Bill
A dismal song - surprised it ever got picked as a single. But not a bad dance considering, but it is just too ploddy and dull for even Flick to come up with anything fantastic with I suppose.

The skirts are nice, but the jumpers are non-too flattering.  Although like Ryan says funny how the jumpers suit the perms... Pauline looks great. But there again Rosie looks great in it too - although maybe they're just stood in front of the lights at the right time! ;-)

Not enough Lulu and no Sue. *shakes head*

6.5 / 10 and Patti for DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

AC/PD
I find this to be very much a Pans' People type of routine and the finger-wagging moments remind me so much of Get Down that I half expect a bunch of labradors to come to heel.
Those tops look a tad heavy to dance in and the image is very much school-run : that or lounging around at home for a late 70's 'dancers at home' type of photoshoot. I do like the accessorised flowers for each of the ladies which match the individual skirt colours.
There's a shot near the end with a great big post in the way, which reminds me of those football stadia where the view's slightly obscured by such a post.This one blocks the dancers.
I still think the song's sung by Diana Ross, such is the Supremes style of it.
However, Flick and the ladies can only work to the material presented to some degree and it was always going to be a comedown after the dances from the previously-aired edition.
5/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

JEZ
I really like this dance ,and the song ,i think the dance is a bright and happy dance ,i like the girls outfits very much ,and the studio props and scenerary,the only downside is just the little bit of interpretation of baby that the girls have to do ,otherwise i would consider it a rather classy dance ,i think dancer of the day is patti,and the routine gets an 8 out of 10 from me
JEZ
Stu

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Stu
Nothing too fancy going on here but I really enjoyed it, and like Jez I too liked the outfits.... good stuff... well done.

8/10

dotd - Pauline

Stuey

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

A tad underwhelming for the century not out; at least the whole routine fits the twee mood of the song. As PD mentions, the costumes and the actions recall "Get Down", but this lacks the same adorable appeal somehow for me.

I thought it a coincidence that the Ruby Winters promo on the same episode was filmed in a similar courtyard garden to the set the ladies dance in... albeit a real one.

My DOTD here is Pauline and my score is 6/10.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
This routine effectively gives us a chance to recuperate from Nightie Fever. Only for the new edit to knock us out again at the end of the show! The outfits must have been chosen to suit the American sixties girl group sound of the song. The skirts have a bit of razzle about them and are the kind of thing a girl would wear to go dancing before the sixties really started swinging. And the perms have indeed found a top to match. The set is more curious. A classical Greek garden at Christmas it seems. I agree the routine has a definite all-round Pan's People feel, especially with the finger wagging. Overall I find it light and pleasant, if unremarkable. My one real criticism would be the girls spend a little too long with their backs to us admiring the greenery.

DOTD luvly luvly Lulu, for doing the best close up solo bit. She had moved into a hot run of form. Chivalrous soul that I am, I offer to walk her home from the garden party.

6.5/10

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

VintageVideos
Again, I quite like this one. OK the song is nothing special but the settings and the costumes are fine, and it all flows along nicely. Some members have mentioned similarities to Pan's People, maybe that's why I rate this routine better than others have. My main criticism would be the camera work with too many shots from the back.

My rating is 7.5 out of 10 and DotD is Patti.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

International roving correspondent coming to you from the South RIM of the Grand Canyon and how great to be able to see Legs performances from here too (wonders of both the Entertainment and Natural Worlds together!).  Anyway I like this gentle dance and feel it balances some of the faster and raunchier ones adding to the range of the Troupe.  The song isn't my fave but does have a slightly vintage Motownish feel to it.  The moves are smooth and the huge sparkly gazebo is an interesting venue.  Patti is stunning in red and Rosie's pink is picturesque too.  My DotD vote is Rosie's by the merest hair and my mark is 7.5

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Good to see your green light on again PattiforPM. Hope your vacation is going well, but will be glad when your back with us again.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

bucksby
I think some of you are being a bit harsh I don't think the song is that bad, certainly no classic but listenable. It was issued by GTO. The set seems to remind me of Christmas decorations (tinsel) which put off a bit but the girls do alright and I think Lulu is my DOTD. Routine a 7.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

The GC and L & C, two W's of the W you lucky fellow!

As for the dance this is another I like, its gentle cadence, those lovely jumpers (what any sensible young lady would slip on for a stroll around the grounds on a late Spring evening) but no second pink skirt so I can only give this one a 7.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Doc
Of course they are all my favorite, but I do have to admit that I think Rosie has made a step up in loveliness in the routines so far this year. The other noticable change this year is we are beginning to see a much more cheeky and confident Lulu and I'm sure she'll start picking up more votes now.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Legs and Co on the money yet again with this routine. Good retro feel to this track and ideal that 5 of the girls were on duty this week to avoid any congestion around the water feature. 7/10

Dotd Lulu

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
This isn't my kinda thing normally but I really enjoyed the routine. The skirts and see through blouses look great and fit the song perfectly. Particularly like the dancing to the chorus part of the song.... very catchy. Set looks great too...all good 7/10

DOTD....Gill just pips Rosie as the most beautiful looking lady.

Re: BACK IN LOVE AGAIN -- 1978

SuPaLu
I love the retro look to this.The song is good and catchy.The feel is light and breezy,and they convey a sense of joy at being 'back in love again'.I love the dancing throughout especially the chorus.10/10.
Dotd : Rosie.