BAD GIRLS [July]

BAD GIRLS   Dance/performance number 172 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Donna Summer  reaching number 14 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  19/07/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.30 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      155
Pauline 154
Rosie    152
Patti     151
Gill       148
Lulu      147
A link to the dance--http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20youh_legs-co-bad-girls-totp-tx-19-07-1979_creation

Legs & Co come to the end of the long list of routines they have danced to Donna Summer records, with just her combo with Babs Streisand to come at the end of the year. I think we can safely say Flick has gone for the jugular here with a no holds barred literal routine with our girls done up like very convincing call-girls (a bit to convincing, their very good at it dont you think). Yep, one has to tread a little carefully i guess when discussing this dance as the subject matter is a bit controversial. Dressing six girls up to look and act this way on a popular BBC show that was considered family viewing and deemed acceptable back then, just couldn't see it getting past first base these days.

The routine itself is okay. Very colourful and a bit of time has been spent designing the set, though though lamp posts look a bit shaky to me. We even get the bonus of a live animal on set, and that looked a little shaky too !

`Lady of the night of the day`-Well id like to give it to Gill, not for her canine handling skills, but because she looked quite gorgeous. But would Gill be gum chewing, swinging a hand bag and hanging around under a lap post to get business. No i see her as a high class `by appointment` only type of girl.

I thought `Sue` excelled here and she is my DOTD. Gosh, am i suggesting she looked the best in this role, suppose i am

`Rating`, lots going on, decent enough song, all six looked great, `9 out of 10`

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

PattiforPM
I really like this, he guiltily admits.  I think the set is one of the classics like All Right Now and totally suits the subject matter and the ladies play Prostitutes extremely well (and I see this as good acting and nothing else!)  From the ever-popular split skirts to the deft handbag handling everything is done well as far as I'm concerned.  The pooch is a nice little touch too.  Gill is good here and Lulu too with her come hither segment but for me the strength is in the two powerful Centres.  Of course I have to say that the beautiful creature in green and red with the effortless high kicks narrowly steals the prize but both Sue and Patti are fantastic.  Rosie and Pauline are fairly quiet I think but these eyes have failed me before.  So it's Patti  for DotD and I am giving this fine Street Art 10/10  as it really is eminently watchable time and time again and it's another of the Legs outings I vividly recall from its first showing.  Finally, as Ryan notes, I would like to thank Ms Summer for providing some fine contributions to the Legs & Co Greatest Hits Soundtrack.

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Flick's 'hit em between the eyes' approach is memorable and, as has been said already, the ladies act their roles very well.  The set, the outfits, the high kicks, and enthusiastic use of the handbags is spot on, although I keep waiting for somebody to loose their grip and see one of those bags go sailing across the studio!  As well as around the posts a little movement along the street would have been nice which, given the proximity of all those lampposts, must have been the best lit thoroughfare this side of Main Street, but for me the inclusion of the pooch was a mistake.  Had the scene been set indoors in an expensive boudoir then possibly, but the mean streets of Gary were no place for such an innocent creature, even if it wasn't raining!  Sue and Patti draw my attention but since Flick has given the come hither moment to Lulu I'm not going to argue.  So Lulu as Dotd with 8.5 for the routine.

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Flick has made this dance routine as literal as the powers that be would've allowed, the ladies are dressed as Bad Girls, presumably 'working the lane', for the purposes of plying their trades, shall we say, I wonder if the name of a certain '90s television prison drama was inspired by this fine Legs & Co. performance, & I couldn't help but notice the dog tied to that fire hydrant, was it Dirty Den's giant poodle, Roly?

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

PaulF
I am not easily fooled, these ladies are far too lovely to even begin to be bad girls.
Good routine 8/10 and well performed by all despite wobbly lamp posts. Shame Gill was on the end of the line up as she was sometimes missing from the picture but what I saw of her and her extra responsibilities of dog handling give her my DOTD vote
Paul

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

This is a nice example of fusing an element of acting into the routine - and it works here, matching the theme of Donna's song, while at the same time and given the subject of the song, not being provocative.

DotD: Lulu

Score: 8.5

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

bucksby
yeah great routine. Shame we can't vote for the dog. Lulu gets my vote because of her cheeky smile bad girl indeed. routine gets a 9.

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

In this routine by our ladies are dancing. To the song " Bad Girl " by Donna Summer. We have the ladies dressed as Ladies of the night. And as Ryan says could you do this routine now. I can say in one answer no, today you would have so many complaint to the B.B.C. Especial on a family show such as Top of the Pops.
But now for the routine they are on good form. The set is good, we have six tall lamp posts. Were the ladies dance around in sexy movements. We also have Gill carry a small dog on and fasten it to a fire hydrant. The ladies are wearing costumes that suggest ladies of the nights. Also they are swing small handbag all way through the routine.

Now coming to the Dotd, any of the ladies could have got it. Because manly all the ladies do the same movement through out the routine. But for me three ladies stood out. This was Lulu, Patti and Sue, so out of the three ladies I will go for Sue.

Again flick and the ladies are on fire with there routine. So my score for this routine is 9 out of 10.

LNV

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

LNV
Rosie looks to me to be the most at ease here, but I would say that wouldn’t I. Maybe as it’s a dance that asks for a certain amount of character portrayal, Rosie’s Italia Conti training with emphasis on acting as much as dance gave her an advantage.

I’ve observed as far as I can be sure, that only Sue & Pauline’s round handbags do not follow in colour with their clothing, as with the other members of the Troupe. Anyway I am watching a dance like this and that is what I notice !

Gill starts us off by tethering her poodle to the fire hydrant, so are we in New York or Paris then ?  I think the poodle is supposedly suggestive of the Parisians famed fondness for their poodles as well as other things; Legs & Co are playing the part of filles de joie, afterall.

Are they Bad Girls ? Of course not. I mean would the Beeb really allow such things on a Thursday evening, back in the day? Legs & Co in their colourful outfits are more to be seen as Disco Divas. Dancing to a song by sung the Disco Queen of the time.

Lulu and Rosie have come along way since those innocent poses at the Suspicion lamp-post, with their now unashamed squats and high kicks.

It's all good clean fun with a hint of naughtiness.

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

This ain't the Donna Summers [sic] I know'...'Mediocre', was John Lydon's characteristically candid appraisal on Juke Box Jury and I agree that this is relatively lacklustre material from the Queen of Disco who served our girls so well. But making the best of it, tonight Legs & Co are dedicated to giving a good time. Nothing unusual there, we can say, as the camera/punter moves along a gaudy line of tarts with hearts post dancing. It's permissible to a family audience because these ain't the Legs & Co's they know and most children wouldn't have had a proper grasp of what a lady of the night was and fewer would recognize one. And wisely Flick didn't throw in the high raunchiness of, say, 'Supernature' or 'I Want Your Love'.

Gill ties her lap-dog (a nice inclusion, even if he or she would rather not be there!) to a fire hydrant - things could get heated. As it turns out it simmers nicely and occasionally fizzes but it doesn't quite sizzle and come alight for me. Mind you, they can chew but I wouldn't want to see them smoke. Very difficult to swing and manoeuvre the shoulder-bags in unison and sometimes it shows. All in all a conceptually distinctive routine but a middling one for quality.

For DOTD Gill looks like 'Honey' would slip easiest off the tongue and I've a feeling she would have scooped a few nominations had we seen more of her. However, Lulu seems to be asking for it most and she gets it. Ooh er.

7.5/10

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

As I suspected, getting those handbags in the correct position to certain beats in the music did prove to be a challenge with the odd mishap in rehearsal, while I understand Flick's original choreography had the girls grappling and hanging off those lamp posts.  This was fine in rehearsal, when tall iron posts with solid bases were used, but proved to be a non-starter come the recording as the lamp posts on the set weren't solid or secure enough to take any weight so a somewhat tone down routine ensued!

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Adorable Gillusion
6/10   DOTD...Rosemary

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Old Grey Whistler
Before looking at this performance, I had a gut feeling that it was going to be a classic. Unfortunately although it is good it falls a little short of the mark. As Suefan has already mentioned, the unstable lampposts probably resulted in the final performance being watered down from what was originally planned.
I like the handbag swinging. 'Legs' always seemed to make good use of their props, whether it be umbrellas, handbags or sticks of French bread.
Although they are portraying 'bad girls'  they don't look sleazy and even Mary Whitehouse would struggle to find anything to complain about here. The dog is cute as well.
I'll give it 8 out of 10. Tempted to give DOTD to Gill for her dog handling skills but we just don't see enough of her. Rosie seems to catch my eye the most so gets my vote.

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

VintageVideos
Sadly not one of my favourites.

7 / 10

DotD: Lulu

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

AC/PD
David Jensen inspires Ray Winstone's one-note career path with the introduction of 'Baaaaaaaaad Girls'and a routine involving a bit of situation role-play. As Colm said, they bring 'an element of acting into the routine'. How many of them convince with the relevant 'look'? About half, I'd say. I imagine the ladies had a good laugh upon discovering the chosen record for the latest routine and also a whale of a time vamping it up. It's raunchy but there's also restrained class and style within, approaching the boundary but not taking the opportunity to overstep it - Cold Chit-chat with standards. Aided and abetted by the less than secure lamp-posts, which can't really be blamed for wobbling after those 'gyrations' it's a well lit set, with a nicely chalked-up backdrop of bars and appartments. Noticeable after the 48th viewing are a couple of studio guys peering over the wall and perusing the action around the 1:58 mark.
Although less than prominent, Pauline sums up the enjoyablely tongue-in-cheek nature of the routine as Donna Summer begins to sing : swinging the handbag (What do they contain? Tambourines?) hand-on-hip, flashing her'I'm enjoying myself' smile and then going into carefree 'what the heck' mode, chewing nonchalantly. Moments Rosie looks like she's spotted either a cab or a client.
DOTD is between either of the book-ended options, Madam Gill looking every inch the pricey pro. or lusty Lulu who looks up for it..a laugh and a game of cards, that is.  As there'd be no doggy distraction, funtime Lulu it is.  That pooch looks so very obedient whilst tied to the fire hydrant and hopefully it had  good life as well as a bowl of water once proceedings were over and was used to a life of canine luxury with top notch food bought from the girls' 'earnings'.
8/10
DOTD: Lulu

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Those lamp posts didn't even look capable of taking our lightweight ladies pulling on them which is a shame as a L&C pole dance routine would surely have been good to see. The routine is very colourful but seems to lack the wow factor of some of the more recent routines, all the same very watchable 8/10. (That dog was far too well behaved).
Bad girl of the day: Rosie and her long legs, wow! (My mistake there was a wow factor after all).

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Andeebee
MMMM babies one week, hookers another, I think Flick took the literally meaning of the track and put it on the screen, I wonder what 1979 audiences thought of that.

I do detest this song by Donna Summer with a passion as it was the move away from Disco for her, and onto the 1980's bleep bleep stuff (or in this case beep beep)

The ladies do look stunning in this, but the dresses make them look bow legged., but they all look so damn yummy I'll get my wallet (and it probably wouldn't be a cheap night)

9/10

Tart of the day: Lulu

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

PattiforPM
Andeebee wrote
 look bow legged, a cheap night
Tart of the day
Sorry ADB, these words are not coming up in my Legs & Co Dictionary.  Can you help?

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Mikey
A striking similarity between the record cover and the look of the set, although Floyd dressed as cop sadly didn't happen and we get a cute looking 'dawg' to hang around the set instead. Our six pretty women look great dressed in hooker-chic, and use the lamposts as the closest thing we'll see to a pole dance. The side scrolling camera does seem a bit quick at times, with only fleeting glimpses of the dancers as it whizzes by, but the longer shots work well and give a good idea of the routine as a whole, another cabaret style performance i think.

The song itself, hmmm not great, it sounds a bit flat, but the routine does lift it a few notches so i'll give overall a 7/10.
DOTD Sue

Stu

Re: BAD GIRLS [July]

Stu