BANG BANG [December]

BANG BANG     Dance/performance number 194 by Legs & Co
Performed by  B.A.Robertson
and reaching the number 2 spot in September 1979
Original broadcast date  25/12/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.42 mins
Dancers--Pauline & Rosie

Pauline 175
Sue      175
Rosie    172
Patti     170
Gill       168
Lulu      166
A link to the performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsKze16Nlyw
Thanks to our good friend Glenn.

Two of our ladies are chosen to bang the drum for B.A.Robertson as he performs his summer hit on the Christmas day TOTPs show. The ladies in question are Pauline & Rosie. No disrespect to you Pauline, but i think after this performance we can defiantly say B.A liked em tall and blonde as he spends a lot of this trying to and at times getting his hands on Rosie's bodily parts. Of course this was all in the script so to speak and from the Blue Peter interview done a month after this Rosie recalls how much she found Brian to be very funny and most lovely.

Ive always had a soft spot for this one, though not really a routine, more of an accompaniment. Rosie & Pauline play their parts perfectly, each treating us to a selection of facial expressions to match parts of the performance. Like when Pauline blinks heavily when banging the drum and when Rosie at first likes Bri approaching her ear-hole but turns away from him in disdain. I also like the end as the three of them really have a bit of fun and dance faster.

Just a quick word on Mr Powell regarding his intro. Notice how he goes in 3 seconds from campness with his "ooh its me" to aggressive male trying to burst the balloons (but failing to do so). What a wally.

Rating--Well i like performances with things to look out for and its kinda fun looking out for Brian getting his hands over our Rosie, as we now know she didn't mind. I will happily give this `9.25 out of 10`, as its a lot of fun.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Peter Powell so far hasn't had a good 1979 Christmas day presenting Legs & Co. Firstly he ran out of time to announce them on `Ring My Bell`. Secondly trying to play the hard man and failing badly, he ran out of time to introduce B.A.Robertson, getting as far as B.

Fortunately the ultimate pro Kid Jensen got to introduce the third offering the repeated `Tragedy`.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Colm
What a December '79 for Rosie: having to fight off the attentions of Simon Bates, BA Robertson and possibly a male audience member... but she carries on smiling. I think the two right dancers were picked to accompany this performance, and I love the running on the spot at the end.

Score: 8.5

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Even though they are in a secondary role i still think Rosie & Pauline do a great job.I love the interaction between Brian & Rosie.8/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

BA Robertson's donned a Santa jacket, & he has brought a pair for f helpers along with him Rosie, & Pauline, who Bang Bang On their bass drums in order to emphasise this great debut track from earlier in '79.
This is a fun performance, that's enough to get any party animals joining into the dance routine.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

AC/PD
Love the tin soldier costumes worn by Pauline and Rosie for a routine where they're more of a Christmas accompaniment than anything else resembling an actual dance routine.
It's a bit of an affront for Brian Robertson to give a severely disproportionate amount of attention to Rosie at the expense of a valiant Pauline who looks half dwarfed by the big bass drum she's just about managing to lug around on her person.
A decent song but Brian's faux hard man Cockney act does grate somewhat: really grate and considering how leering he is towards Rosie, perhaps Pauline could count her blessings.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Well i never. I didn't know PD could get so riled up. Heaven knows what hed say if Big Bri had attached his attentions to Pauline instead of Rosie.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Rosie and Pauline look just lovely in their military band apparel and I do like the comedy in this performance but I can't help wishing that Pauline had been allowed to interact with BA too as I'm sure she would have made a great third comedy actor in this piece.  So 7.5/10  for a missed opportunity but a great Rosie performance and Pauline nominated in a supporting role

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

PaulF
Not too impressed with this, BA leering at Rosie and poor Pauline getting ignored, but I wont bang on about it 5/10.
Paul

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Suefan
Good fun and well played by the girls. 7/10

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Our two ladies does good job in this background in this performance. Rosie and Pauline look good in they soldier uniforms and they big drums. We have a big input to the song, because of the flirting B.A. Robertson with our two ladies. Mainly with Rosie most of the time.

So for this we must put, no I've change my mind and can I put Pauline  as my Dotd.

The score is 8 out of 10.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

sueforever wrote
 So for this we must put, no I've change my mind and can I put Pauline  as my Dotd.
Now you've been with us long enough S4E to know we dont have DOTDs for performances with less than five dancers, let alone just two !

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

sueforever
Sorry Ryan completely forgot.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

JEZ
As backing dances go this is ok not aj awful lot of moves in the dance but then again i dont suppose a lot more could be done to bang bang  i like some of paulines facial expressions during this dance , i give a 6

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

VintageVideos
I don't really know what to make of this one. For the most part it's good fun but I've tired rather quickly of the song, and it seems B.A. is doing the same old studied gestures on every performance.

6 / 10

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Andeebee
Rosie hogs the limelight and gets the attention of B.A., but love the scrunched up look of pauline on first hitting her drum.  Fun festive stuff, but not really that taken with it.

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Gorgeous Daze
B.A. gets the tallest and (joint?) smallest soldiers in the regiment and in his Rosie-tinted vision it's very much a case of BANG and bang. It is a humorous song though about the weakness of the flesh so I've no problem with his sweet nothings and other inveigling, but the one-sided nature of it is odd at best. Might it have been scripted this way because Pauline was, after all, a married lady? Whatever, I'd like to have seen more of both the girls, ain't it usually the case? I enjoy the song, there were plenty of worse things I could have spent my pocket money on. I like the smart military attire, especially the tight jodhpurs and over-knee boots. Mmm. Rosie's comedic ability is again evident as she's charmed - up to a point!  Untroubled Pauline is untroubled by neglect and is her usual delightful self. I like the race to the finish line. Pauline in particular I would think is keen at the thought of parting company with that whopping drum.

Arl give it 7/10

Re: BANG BANG [December} **SPOILER ALERT**

Old Grey Whistler
I don't like the song much which is unfortunate as it is stuck in my head at the moment. I know BA's behaviour was scripted by the lyrics of the song, but I still find it a little uncomfortable to view. Maybe Mike was stood at the side of the stage with a baseball bat to prevent Pauline suffering from BA's attention!
The girls look great in their costumes and they perform their roles well, but it is not one that I will watch often, so I will just score it a 7 out of 10.