BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PattiforPM
  We're back to RF Mk2 but bear with me.  This is another Neil Diamond song so perhaps Ms Martell had a little crush on the Native New Yorker.  Beautiful Noise was on the Album of the same name released in 1976 by Mr Diamond and the Single reached lucky #13 on the UK Charts apparently.  The album was produced by ace Guitarist Robbie Robertson of "The Band" fame who is, I need hardly mention, Canadian.  I rather like the song's lyrics and anyway I have already covered Neil's Bio so here's one verse:

           It's a Beautiful Noise,  made of Joy and Strife
           Like a Symphony played, by the Passing Parade
           It's the Music of Life

 By the way Lena's version isn't quite as good but tolerable I think.  Also I have admit that while researching this I got completely distracted by the song "Cherry Cherry" by Mr Diamond and other Cherry devotees might like to have a listen to this too as some of the lyrics seem very relevant.  Irrelevantly here's a  link:

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqlSNgbb1c

  Sorry about the diversion

                   BEAUTIFUL NOISE  -   Lena Martell                          Aug 1st 1979

                                   DANCERS:     David, Nick, Lulu, Patti, Rosie

                                    LINK:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsOzTaZ2KaY

    Well I am going to come right out and say I like this one better than most of the other RF Mk2 efforts and I think it comes down to three things.  Firstly the ladies' costumes are interesting, particularly the 'partial skirts."  Secondly the song is a little more lively, allowing some dancing to take place.  Thirdly there's a nice Lulu close-up, albeit far too brief.  Anyway the same drawbacks of the Lena voice and style apply but I enjoy this a fair bit and like the futuristic appearance of the Troupe and the tiny ear-buds so I'm awarding 8/10  and await your pleasure with some trepidation as always.   Maybe your gratitude for the costume dept not putting Lena in the same outfit as the Troupe will lead to higher marks than I expect

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Suefan
Certainly one of the best from the Glasgow excursion.  The dancers get a reasonable amount of camera time, the figure hugging costumes and partial skirts make for an interesting look, and the song is fine so I'm giving this a solid 7.  If D and N had joined O on the sidelines I'd have been tempted to have gone higher but they didn't so I haven't.

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PaulF
No Sue so nil points.

I quite liked this and found my foot tapping and enough shots of Lulu to keep my attention and a worthy 7.5/10
Paul

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

A group of cyber men have arrived on stage I see, but they seem to have already discarded their headgear, never mind doing that during the dance routine, as at least some of the dancers were known to do.
Lena also sports a silvery costume, but there's an obvious difference, the dancers are heaps more animated with their movements, rather than having that fashion shop mannequin look, even for somebody present to primarily provide the vocals, I'd have expected Lena to move about the stage at least leisurely.

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PattiforPM
Thanks chaps.  Looks like this one might outscore some of the other Lena's Music efforts and rightly so IMHO.  Yes Lena is a little wooden and Okon was still a bit miffed at being typecast in the Ghetto so didn't show up for this one but I think the rest of the Dancers put in a pretty good day's work.  More reviews would certainly not go amiss here

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Agree with what the guys have said so far on this. Some nice camera time for our gals, dressed in cute costumes and yes this is in my top-two of RF two, if you know what i mean. Im not so sure Lena's interpretation of this song is such a beautiful noise though, not my cup of tea im afraid. But the dancers are good to watch and i reckon `8 out of 10` is about right.

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PattiforPM
Cheers Ryan.  If this form continues this Beautiful Noise will be the most bodacious RF2 performance by some margin but maybe all this will change once the rest of our regulars have their say
LNV

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

LNV
I know that quite a number on here have remarked that to their ears Ms Martell’s singing is not such a beautiful noise. Lena’s grandma-ish old-style crooning does look of its time in that it is doubtful that a singer of her type would today be given their own tv show.  However for all this, it is a jolly little tune that Lena can convey to us and being a song with a finger clicking jauntiness to it, gives the RF2 troupe a chance at some proper dancing; which is of good quality. So much so, that I wish this had been performed by Legs & Co.

It does raise a chuckle in me how in the ‘70’s it was foreseen that sometime in the future say by the year 2000 [which was a long time into the future, or so we thought back then !] we would all be wearing clothing made from some as yet unknown metallic silver material. We have here RF2 wearing a mixture of ‘70’s large HiFi headphones, so much of the era  and what to me is garb that is supposedly futuristic.

The headphones are a miss but the rest does work well. Space age disco dress I suppose you could call it.
Anyway what has proved to be timeless is a nice little dance driven forward by the cutie for all time Lulu. To quote what was said about Shakespeare, “Shakespeare was not of an age, but for all time.” And I can’t envisage Lulu going out of fashion anytime soon either. All I can see really is Lulu in this dance, I briefly notice Rosie and the rest but it is Lulu who is at the helm of this dance train. Someone should coin a new word to describe a dance that is not a solo but where a single dancer is obviously the centre of attention. More than just a standout performance as happens often, more a magnetic moment that an individual has within a troupe dance.

 Lulu is a fine dancer away from all her obvious charms, as I have said before. Technically I would not know  or care. As a dancer you are either blessed with an apparent ease of movement or not, a smooth dance dynamic. The choreographed movements just flow freely from Lulu and I am carried along with her into the expressive flow of the Routine. Starting from her palms lifted upwards, moving up and down, to twirling her hand as the other is placed on the earpiece with a gentle turning of the hips at the same time. It’s all magical to watch.

Okay Lulu is at the front and the camera  stays almost exclusively focused upon her. Nevertheless when all eyes are upon you, for example just as when taking a football penalty, you either have the composure and ability to deliver or not.
Lulu scores easily here and without a doubt delivers.

10/10 Dance as shown by Lulu can be a beautiful game too.

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

JEZ
I never thought in 1979 that I would be saying years later that I actually like lenas version of beautiful noise ,I do like the neil diamond song anyway and the dancers just add that touch of liveliness to the show ,it wasn't the first time david tate had danced this song ,2 years earlier he was throwing himself down on his knees to teri scobles interpretation of the disc ,I love lulus hair on this dance and I award an 8 for ruby flipper 2 effort in this ,after all I think the dancers deserve a little boost in the ratings and there is as much choreography involved in this dance as there was with some of ruby flipper 1976 line up of backing dances they did on totp

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Colm
Out of the Flipper Mark 2 routines, this is certainly more interesting than others which have been offered up for discussion recently. Lulu is certainly the focus of the routine, and she looks cute with her hair tied back. A pity we don't see so much of Patti or Rosie.

Score: 7

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PattiforPM
Thanks again lads.  Wow, a 10 from LNV and a really nice tribute to the lovely Lulu, who is indeed a worthy flag-bearer here.  There's only one RF2 Dance left now and without giving anything away I doubt it'll challenge this one for popularity.  But maybe I'm mistaken....

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Old Grey Whistler
This is without doubt the best dance from the Lena shows and I quite like it.
The song and Lena's singing have enough tempo for the dancers to exploit and they pull off some nice moves.
I will score it 7.5 out of 10. I would have gone higher if we could have seen a bit more from Rosie and Patti.

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

VintageVideos
Well, how could I dislike a song about a German city ("Beautiful Neuss", geddit)? Seriously, this isn't half bad, and while I'm still not ready to apply for membership of the Lena Martell fanclub, her rendition is at least tolerable. The dancing is really nice, I like the costumes and the fact that the dancers get a bit more air time. I may even watch it again. There, I've said it.

7 / 10

DotD: Lulu

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Paperboyplod
Ah my favourite dancer, gets DotD from our leading Germany (World Cup) supporter, but alas I think that there's absolutely no dancer of the day from Ruby Flipper '79 dance routines.

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

VintageVideos
You're right Justin, but she's my DotD anyway

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PattiforPM
Here on the RF Comments Thread there is no RF Mk2 DotD as you all say but also slack rules and you're welcome to say who would have received your accolade or indeed to have a larger than average and more sparkly signature if necessary

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Gorgeous Daze
This is like an excerpt from a sci-fi film where a starchy schoolma'am (she'll go to any lengths to find the truanting Okon) has journeyed into tomorrow on the Fabulous Futurama Ride. She rather likes what she finds, enough to sing a happy new song with the aid of an Autocue. If not beautiful it's at least a tolerable noise emanating from Lena's mouth this time, and the musical arrangement is actually quite charming. The fashion of the future looks great and I like the cutesy choreography. Lulu gets the prime spot and the dancing suits her down to the ground: she's so loveable! It mostly compensates for the lack of camera attention Patti and Rosie are given. And as always you find yourself wanting the camera to move away from Lena on to the dancers, but being realistic we get a good deal this time.

Back to Bible study Monday: Revelations Chapter One.

Pleasant and enjoyable. 8.5/10

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

PattiforPM
Thanks GD.  Interesting notion for a song title that "Tolerable Noise."  Sounds like something John Lydon might not have released.  Beautiful Noise and the Schoolma'am are nestled at the top of the RF2 ratings now it seems and I must admit to some relief that it has met with everyone's favour to this degree (thanks Lulu!)

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

bucksby
better than expected. I have always liked neil's version of beautiful noise and whilst lena is doing her best to murder every song she covers, I suppose this is one of her better efforts probably due to it being a country-ish song. Girls look fab of course Lulu caught my eye on more than one occasion I might add and she is DOTD. overall a 7. nice outfits too although probably not suited to the song

Re: BEAUTIFUL NOISE

Mikey
Ding-ding seconds out, its round 4 (i think) of Lena Martell vs OFTDs. My main issue previously (well apart from the singing) has been the under use so to speak of the dancers hired for this show and over focus on our host school ma'am. Of course its her show and she's entitled to present it how she sees fit, so why involve Flick at all then?

Ok, this time its better, those silver metallic outfits look nice (Lulu is particularly prominent) and at least they have ear defenders to drown out the singing, oh those are headphones are they?. Whilst not much of the stage area is used, the dancing is an improvement and more camera time seems to be offered, i'm not keen on Rosie being too much in the background though.

All in all its improved but it still does not feel like a TOTP routine, so 7/10, Lulu would have been a shoe in for DOTD.