BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Best Disco in Town by the Ritchie Family should quite possibly plead guilty of being the very first Disco Medley.  It was co-written and arranged by Jacques Morali and Richie Rome.   Morali also conceived this three lady Group from Philadelphia and famously also had the Village People idea.  Rome lent his first name to the Group but added a T to avoid confusion.  At this time the Ritchie Family consisted of Cassandra Wooten, Cheryl Mason-Jacks and Gwen Oliver but there were many subsequent personnel changes apparently.  Wooten and Mason-Jacks later contributed backing vocals for John Lennon’s last album Double Fantasy in 1980.

         BEST DISCO IN TOWN   -   Ritchie Family                                    Sept 30th  1976

                                   DANCERS:      Cherry, Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

                             LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x269lq9_ruby-flipper-the-best-disco-in-town-totp-tx-30-09-1976_creation
This suede-fest is a lively happy performance with all members doing their part and significantly and sadly it is Cherry’s last stand.  I think it shows Ruby Flipper doing what they do best; an action-packed visually engaging Dance to a good beat.  It would be easy to imagine this one being popular in Cabaret.  I like the brightness and warmth the Dancers exude and there are highlights from all participants once again.  My own favorite is Cherry’s “Love to Love You Baby” section but Lulu is so sweet here and Patti’s “Hi” at 1:43 is great, as is Sue’s question at 1:21.  I like the varied costumes and the frills add to the fun for me.  The boys are good too but I can only really watch the four lovely ladies in this one to be honest.  Anyway I do enjoy watching this one and will award 8.5/10  and DotD for me goes to Cherry but it is awfully close I admit.  Let’s hear some other views….

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Absolutely love this one. A great medley of songs performed by the Family Ritchie and Ruby Flipper put in a sterling performance. A real feel good factor to this, with each dancer looking like they are thoroughly having a blast and lots of lip syncing to boot. For DOTD, well all four girls dance and look terrific. `Lulu` does have a few nervy moments but her uber-cuteness, good looks along with her smiling face secure her my nomination for DOTD.

Rating, no problem with awarding this `10 out of 10`.

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

For her final appearance with Ruby Flipper, Cherry, doesn't really get an overly milking-it sort of send off, I'd at least have expected her to perform a part-solo performance within the man routine, & we only really get to see her close-up when the song medley hits # Love To Love You Baby #.
The mainly sepia colour-scheme, kind of makes it look like an old photograph, that's suddenly burst into life, after being frozen in time for a good couple of centuries, very lively & jolly it all is, despite, presumably being tinged with sadness about Cherry's impending departure for an acting career, The Bitch would be beckoning, but it looks like she did go out on a high note.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

 Is it Wednesday already? Oh I see, Ruby Tuesday!

This is a real good one and one of Ruby Flipper's best routines, ain't no doubt about it! Take a good disco song, some decent dresses and then let the fun begin! And fun it is. Everyone's in a great mood, and for once the camera work is just right here. The routine has a nice bright and warm atmosphere. I like the mixture of group dancing as well as some fine solos.
My favourite moments are during the "Bad Luck" part:

As an interesting side note, the medley includes a song that had been a charting single for the group in the year before, "Brazil", so you could say they took it to the charts twice!

10 / 10  DotD: Lulu

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Top notch disco number from The Ritchie Family (even thou I prefer Quiet village), excellent all round performance nice and easy 10/10

DOTD: Sue

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Colm
There's so much I love here:

The opening shot, with the six lined up ready to go, and Patti's passioned "WOO!" as the music kicks in
Everyone moving fluidly and in unison during the routine
A wealth of smiles from everybody too, and they come across as genuine too
The zoom outs from each dancer during the last chorus
Cherry, Lulu, Patti and Sue in colour-coded boots

DotD: Cherry - for that brief part-solo to the only time TOTP featured a bit of *that* Donna Summer record, her parting shot... a better epilogue than the overture.

Score: 9

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

PattiForPM
Thanks lads for your votes and comments.  I apologise for the jet lagged mix-up in timing.  I looked at the date of the last offering too and it was 14 days before but forgot it wasn't going to be Wednesday yet and the time of the last one was just before midnight so I confused myself!  Anyway it seems as if this is going to be a well-deserved vote catcher and now I'm starting to think I under-marked it a bit myself.  Keep those tributes (or otherwise) coming...

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Suefan
This is a great send off for Cherry.  The girls costumes have a certain primitive quality set off by the colourful boots and everyone is having such a good time it is a joy to watch and gets a 9 from me.

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

bucksby
A great track it always been one of my favourites from this era. Not sure if it is a medley or an early sample record but whatever it works well. As for the dance it's good, not outstanding I am slightly put off by the outfits with the exception of Patti's I don't think they are great and are very drab. I know Patti's is the same colour but hers is a bit better than the other girls. Overall 7 for the routine and DOTD Sue.

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

PaulF
A good upbeat number in which everyone is enjoying themselves, this makes it a pleasant routine to watch and I think I even noticed my foot tapping so I will give it a 9/10.
DOTD Sue.
Paul

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

PattiForPM
Thanks once again for voting friends.  Seems this one is very popular and rightly so but it still needs more assessment methinks

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

JEZ
This has got to be my fav ruby flipper routine along with cant help fallin in love ,infact i would say it beats it ,i just love everything about this dance ,i love the song ,the costumes ,the dance moves and facial expressions ,i have no doubt its a 10

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Totally agree Jez. This is one of those performances that i find hard to believe everybody hasn't awarded a maximum. What is there not to like about it ?

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

BeautifulBabs
It's a great routine but the song doesn't do it for me and the lyrics I find a bit uncool- while trying to be cool
"djs are the best there you'll never get a rest there
if you make a request the dj will do his best "
"its no place to sit in your seat hey"
more like an advert for a school disco than studio 54
Phil is too tall for the group and I don't think the yellow outfits work on the blokes

so 8 and dotd Cherry especially for her love to love you baby moment
i do give ruby tens but not for this one

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Doc
 A good RF dance but not quite good enough for a maximum but worthy of a 9. Dotd to Cherry.

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Lookmacinanger
While watching this performance I feel like I’m witness to a metaphoric passing of the crown of ’Head Girl’ with Cherry abdicating her position and our heiress Sue taking her place in which she will reign gloriously for the next five years.

Looking at this routine in the context with the whole Ruby Flipper concept in mind I realise this medley of disco tracks by ‘The Ritchie Family’ was probably one of the most suitable for them to be given to interpret and I’m delighted everything appears to click into place. Some interesting camera tilts which enhance the lined-up views of the troupe and although I can be distracted by the colours of the outfits I don’t let it affect my enjoyment of the performance.

Cherry final solo has all her hallmark signature moves which leave me to sadly lament her moving on, but also to wish her well as Ruby Flipper move on to the autumn of their tenure as TOTP residence dance troupe. 10/10 Dotd, Cherry

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments again friends.  I agree the lyrics here are a bit vacuous.  The handing over of the "Head Girl" accolade is an interesting point Mac.  I felt that Sue and Cherry were the focus of attention in later Pans and that Cherry seemed to get #1 costume choice in several RF performances but of course there's loads of room for debate here.  In any case I do think this was a fitting last hurrah for Cherry.  Anyone else want to weigh in here?

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Gorgeous Daze
I find myself with similar feelings to what I have about The Continental. It's a happy and very good performance to the medley, but I'm afraid I want TOTPS, not Seaside Special. The Richie Family have watered down disco and rendered it into cabaret, and ironically their own original contribution destroys any chance of it being one of the best disco medleys. The 'song' and well-suited routine is just too light entertainment, sanitized and like a curtain raiser before Ken Dodd provides the main entertainment. The muted tones of the costumes further contributes to the bland feel of it all.

DOTD Cherry for bringing some sensuality to the 'Love To Love You Baby' segment.  7/10

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

VintageVideos
I usually avoid commenting on other members' ratings, but I do find the relation between Ken Dodd & the Ritchie Family rather far-fetched. It's certainly not the kind of music that a rock lover would listen to but it was the earliest disco medley to chart, as far as I can tell, and thus it was groundbreaking. Firsts aren't always best, but without the success of 'Best Disco in Town' it is highly questionable if other artists would have ventured into that genre, and therefore it deserves some credit.
Regarding 'light entertainment', well I guess a lot of the Beatles hit records could be considered 'light entertainment' nowadays, so the song would not be in bad company.

Re: BEST DISCO IN TOWN

Gorgeous Daze
I just find the whole thing like something out of a variety show. But not the main act. I chose Ken Dodd semi randomly because for better or worse he was a main act. For me the routine is well done but no more than mildly entertaining. And despite its pioneering credentials the song sounds to my ears like cabaret disco, and that's not the sort of thing that floats my boat.

I agree with your point about The Beatles, Vin. Light entertainment is not necessarily mediocre and it all depends on what's being performed and in what way.