BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

The Rubberband Man
BFI have issued a Press Release announcing a collaboration with Kaleidoscope that has rediscovered a number of missing pop programmes. An event at the National Film Theatre will showcase these discoveries.
Two complete missing episodes of Top of The Pops from 1975, the landmark 600th episode (BBC, TX 9 October, 1975) and the 17 July edition will be shown.

"The exciting line-up includes the first UK television appearances by Cliff Richard & The Drifters (Oh Boy!, 1958) and Blondie (Granada Reports, 1977), lost episodes of the much-loved Top of the Pops (1975) and influential Colour Me Pop (1968) as well as early on screen incarnations of Rod Stewart (A Day in the Life of Rod The Mod, 1965) and Kylie Minogue (Motormouth, 1989).

This toe-tapping celebration of rock and pop will be hosted by broadcast DJ and former Top of the Pops presenter, ‘Diddy’ David Hamilton plus a wealth of special guests to relive their experience and bring these moments of televisual pop history to life.

Tickets for Missing Believed Wiped, SATURDAY 22 July, 15:30 and 18:00, NFT1 go on sale to BFI members on 6 June and non-members 13 June."

The Press Release, which is very long, can be read here :-
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/downloads/bfi-press-release-missing-believed-wiped-pop-discoveries-showcase-announcement-2017-05-25.pdf

Not a free event, like the Birmingham ones. Anybody interested?

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Old Grey Whistler
Chris Perry from Kaleidoscope was on BBC Breakfast this morning at about 8.55 talking about this. Good to know that they are still able to find new footage.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

BeautifulBabs
Hi just read on my phone are there pans routines we don't have in these 2. I don't have time to check atmo?

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Legsfan
The 17th July edition is listed as Pan's People dancing to Barbados by Typically Tropical which already exists, but is a restricted routine and the 9th October 1975 (600) edition is listed as Pan's People dancing to No Woman No Cry by Bob Marley & The Wailers which also exists, but is also listed as restricted.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Old Grey Whistler wrote
Yeah if anybody out there wants to watch and listen to Chris talking about lost TV, then go onto the iplayer (about 3 hours into the programme). I understand that days Breakfast News only stays on for that particular day, so it wont be there to much longer.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

The Rubberband Man
Yep, they showed Cliff Richard, Sparks, a clip with Marc Bolan and a dancing frog, and a politically incorrect song sung by Bruce Forsyth. Fans of any of those artists would be interested in this.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

BeautifulBabs wrote
Hi just read on my phone are there pans routines we don't have in these 2. I don't have time to check atmo?
Both Pan's routines were shown as part of the Vicars collection.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

The Rubberband Man wrote
Not a free event, like the Birmingham ones. Anybody interested?
I applied for the day off a few months ago as I'd heard there was something special going to be shown!

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

In case anybody missed it, they showed snippets from the following performances:

Cliff Richard on "Oh Boy!"

Sparks performing "Looks Looks Looks" on TOTP 09/10/1975:

From the same TOTP episode, Bruce Forsyth and "Sandra" (singing the lines, "she's a great little housewife, though sometimes she talks like a fool", no wonder it missed the charts!):

T. Rex with a dancing frog ("New York City", TOTP 17/07/1975):

Blondie's UK TV debut (Granada Reports, ITV, 1977):

Good stuff, but will the public ever see more than those excerpts?

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

The Rubberband Man
The thing behind Marc Bolan looks like an early version of an Internet meme.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Dancer
Wow - this is an excellent find.  Remember the Sparks performance as I was a fan of those but not Bruce Forsyth.  Let us hope they find some more for collectors especially from 1974.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Legsfan
There are two timings for this event, 3:30pm and 6pm. Is the event repeated so that two sets of people can go or will different material be shown at the different times? For example Top of the Pops at the first slot at 3.30pm and Blondie at the second slot at 6pm.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Just reading on Popscene that the BFI are going to edit out the DLT links on the two TOTPs that they are showing.

Surely this cant be true. If so, then the world is truly going mad.

I most certainly will not be attending this event therefore out of protest.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Legsfan
Outrageous! What next they will be editing out the sound track to avoid copyright!

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Gorgeous Daze
If it is true as Kaleidoscope's policy is opposed to such hypocritical idiocy they should consider withdrawing cooperation until the BFI see sense.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Everything'sRosie
Ridiculous. DLT has served his suspended sentence. He groped someone (an adult) he shouldn't have done, but he did, and has paid the price both in reputation and financially. That should be the end of it. This is starting to sound like persecution now. If I was him I'd be onto my lawyers.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

The Rubberband Man
The BFI Press Release clearly says they will be showing "2 complete missing episodes of Top of The Pops from 1975", and "Featuring some of the biggest pop stars and teen heartthrobs of the moment, these previously lost episodes [are] presented by Dave Lee Travis".

So either the Press Release is wrong and they are not showing complete episodes, or the source that says DLT is being edited out is wrong.
Either way, clarification is needed.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

Doc
I've had it confirmed that the BFI will be taking part in a shameful rewriting of history and will be cutting all evidence of DLT out of the showings.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

AC/PD
The comments made by fellow OFTD'ers to this shameful (ashamed?) revisionism and, in particular, ER's usage of the word "persecution" sum it all up.

Re: BFI Missing Believed Wiped Pop Discoveries

The Rubberband Man
I’m appalled to hear that the BFI are choosing to take this action. There is surely no justification for the BFI to edit Dave Lee Travis from both showing of Top Of The Pops. I assume, on this basis, that others are going to be edited out of TOTPs, such as The Bay City Rollers.
TBH, what is the point of having the event if censorship like this is allowed to dictate what is permissible for us to see and what isn’t?
I was undecided about going, but the decision has now been made for me.