BFI event in London.

Doc
Part 1 has just finished:
Diana Ross - Sorry Doesn't Make it Right got it's first showing along with 1 1/2 other performances following it.
Barbados v1 got a repeat showing as part of one the recently recovered DLT shows. He was edited out at the BBC's request only showing up in the background of the playout track.
Hot Gossip singing on Pebble Mill was also seen.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc
The second TOTP was very good with another showing of No Woman No Cry. The crowd found Bruce Forsyth hilarious.
There was another Hot Gossip, Super Casanova I think.

Re: BFI event in London.

Mikey
I liked the Marmalde cow thing, but i'm sure i've seen it before.

Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right was followed by "Mac & Katie Kissoon – Don’t Do It Baby" which i thought was rather good, i cant remember what was next (a bloke?) but it was cut off.

On the 17-7 show i think Barbados came earlier on (near the start) than Popscene have it listed, but good to see that again. I noticed some of the sets used the diamond shapes as used in The Hustle maybe they were repeats from that show.

Apart from Floyd (who was singing) i couldn't recognise any of the Hot Gossip people in the 1984 clip

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc
I think Debbie Ash was there.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc wrote
Barbados v1 got a repeat showing as part of one the recently recovered DLT shows. He was edited out at the BBC's request
As suspected. The BFI might have stood up and told them to get lost, but I suppose they need to keep them sweet to go on securing the BBC's 'non-lost' material for DVD release etc.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc
Both Kal and BFI representatives said they were unhappy that they had to edit the shows but the BBC said they would not allow them to be show if it meant DLT appearing. Ironically a picture of Jonathon King appeared in the 2nd shows countdown. Host David Hamilton, who was very good, said he better not comment as he's still employed by the BBC.

Re: BFI event in London.

Mikey wrote
Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right was followed by "Mac & Katie Kissoon – Don’t Do It Baby" which i thought was rather good, i cant remember what was next (a bloke?) but it was cut off.
I think it was Gilbert Becaud, which appears to survive complete elsewhere.

(27) DIANA ROSS – Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right (danced to by Pan’s People)
(NEW) MAC & KATIE KISSOON – Don’t Do It Baby
(13) GILBERT BECAUD – A Little Love And Understanding ® *

As you can see the order on the BBC database is woeful out, as it quite probably is on most of the missing shows.

24-4-75: Presenter: Ed Stewart (Wiped)

(29) STEPHANIE DE SYKES – We’ll Find Our Day
(9) 10cc – Life Is A Minestrone
(16) PETER SKELLERN – Hold On To Love
(NEW) MAC & KATIE KISSOON – Don’t Do It Baby
(NEW) GARY GLITTER – Love Like You And Me
(10) SUSAN CADOGAN – Hurt So Good
(11) THE THREE DEGREES – Take Good Care Of Yourself ® * WATCH
(13) GILBERT BECAUD – A Little Love And Understanding ® *
(28) THE CARPENTERS – Only Yesterday (video)
(27) DIANA ROSS – Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right (danced to by Pan’s People)
(1) BAY CITY ROLLERS – Bye Bye Baby ®

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc
The first bit of 17/07/76 wasn't shown as it started half way through the Alex Harvey Band. I'm pretty sure that the Lynsey De Paul performance was on the Levine tape and the Bay City Rollers appearance is the same as on one of the editions the BBC has.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc wrote
As you can see the order on the BBC database is woeful out, as it quite probably is on most of the missing shows.
The orders for each show in the BBC database were simply sorted alphabetically by artist. The running orders on Popscene for lost shows were more or less guessed by whoever put these orders online. So basically they're doomed to be wrong.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc wrote
I think Debbie Ash was there.
Damn. Should have gone

Re: BFI event in London.

I wish i'd noted down the running orders now, oh the benefit of hindsight. Hopefully Popscene will update them in due course.

Mental notes from the 9-10-75 show

(3) THE DRIFTERS – There Goes My First Love ® - this was on the same stage (which has 3 tiers i think) as the "ART GARFUNKEL – I Only Have Eyes For You (danced to by Pan’s People)" from 25-9. They were wearing bright red flared trouser suits.

From memory the last few were in this order

(27) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – No Woman No Cry (danced to by Pan’s People)
(NEW) JOHN MILES – Highfly (great track!)
(NEW) BRUCE FORSYTH – Sandra (best of the day, lol )
(12) BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH – Scotch On The Rocks ® (this was weird they all just stood there doing nowt)
(1) DAVID ESSEX – Hold Me Close (a video/concert performance)

Looking at the Cherry rehearsal pic of 'Sorry' i can now see the outer circle painted on the floor where the audience would have stood around. Near the start the camera panned from left to right so you could only see them through the gaps between the backs of peoples heads.

Re: BFI event in London.

GD, the Kaleidoscope bloke seemed pretty hacked off they had been asked (told) to remove DLT. DLTs name was on the credits though.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc
There was a shout of 'there he is' when he appear in the background on the playout track. I think there might have been a few cheers as well.

Re: BFI event in London.

BeautifulBabs
Ok so the sorry doesn't make it right routine got screened  is it a bikini routine ?-- pleased for those who made it to see but nothing else new ?

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc

Here's the rehearsal, all clothing remained on for the actual performance. The only difference was they were surrounded by an audience that were holding up sorry signs.

Nothing else new for PP has been announced yet.
An interesting comment when asked about future music discoveries was that some people were holding on to rare footage thinking that it's really valuable despite them being told that it's only likely to attract an audience of 50-100 to a screening and very little else.

Re: BFI event in London.

Dancer
I find this dance one of their most boring.  I know you really cant do much with Diana Ross's ballads but the song itself was totally naff for her.  It did nothing for her in America.

I remember the Band of the Blackwatch Scotch on the Rocks. That would have been a perfect routine for them rather than watching the live band.

Re: BFI event in London.

Doc
I'm sure you were doing Cherry's twirls in the playground the day after.

Re: BFI event in London.

Mikey
Oh Boy are there some errors in this article. 1969 TOTPs, eh?

http://www.samiraahmed.co.uk/oh-boy-why-certain-radio-1-djs-are-missing-believed-wiped/

Re: BFI event in London.

Gorgeous Daze
Errors and just the tone and lack of love for TOTP one would expect from a luminary of the BBC, Channel 4, Guardian, Independent, Big Issue, PC Herald. (I made the last one up).

Thanks for updating with the 'Ed Stewart in unrepentant heterosexual shocker' link, love.

Re: BFI event in London.

Yes I always get the feeling that there is some footage out there held back by someone who thinks that Christie's are going to show interest.  Their fan base is slowly depleting now with age.  Would be lovely if we could get hold of some of the 1974 stuff or anything prior really.