BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- [October]

BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE  Dance/performance number 127 by Legs & Co
Performed by    The Jacksons  and reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   12/10/78  Duration of dance --  2.40 mins
Dancers --  Rosie & Sue

Pauline 117
Sue      116
Rosie    114
Patti     112
Gill       110
Lulu     109
A link to the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXQ9UUTY6Y

          ***THIS IS A DANCE YOU WILL NOT SEE ON BBC4***
Here we have Rosie & Sue putting in a superb performance but id love to know the thought process behind this. You would have thought this song would be the main routine for the week with the whole troupe taking part, afterall it was a popular ditty at the time. But Flick gave us only two girls, shame coz all six in these costumes would have been a feast for our eyes.

How did FC decide on which girls to select for this duo. I cant help but wonder but would Rosie have liked this to have been her day in the sun, by that i mean her turn to put in a solo. Im sure that she could have danced a similar style to this alone, but i feel Sue was chosen as a kind of safety net for Rosie, maybe because FC just didn't fancy Rosie up there alone. If this was the case then FC was wrong, because its Rosie who owns this routine. She makes a wonderful job, with her range of amusing faces and her sense of fun. Okay shes not as gifted in the graceful department like Sue, but she makes the most of what shes got, and puts her long legs to great use in this.

Obviously Sue plays her part too, but for me its Rosie who catches the eye. The spangly costumes are great aren't they and they sure look a treat in those short shorts. Again the camera man does wonder down to the nether regions, but its basically shots of the girls rear ends, and that feels more acceptable than the close up shots in the previous routine. I also like the shots of the uncontrollable feet !

There are so many little dance moves in this i like and there is some nice byplay between our gals. I feel a little frustrated we don't get a better shot of Rosie pointing at Sue in her little solo, and for me the fish eye camera work goes on a bit and id have just preferred a single full shot instead.

So onto my rating. I was really tempted to give it the maximum, both girls are knockout, great song, sexy costumes, spot on dance moves. Ah what the hell, both these dancers have earned this a `10 out of 10`

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Not 100% what Rosemary is up to, but she looks like she is having a wonderful time (and for once begrudgingly overshadowing Sue) mad wide eyed stares, bum wiggles, hair tossing

The brief from Flick: go crazy, and that's what she is doing, Sue is just second fiddle to what is Rosemary's moment to shine with those very very long legs and short shorts....

Wonderful 2 mins of disco madness...

10/10

DOTD: eh.......Rosemary if this counted of course

Shame this was vetoed from DM, but hey that's what the overflow channel is for, to pick up the slack...

PS to watch this correctly, there is a wheel under the video, click that and set to 480...have fun

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

VintageVideos
Absolutely love this one. Even though there are just two girls, this is a top routine. Such joy! Makes you want to get up and join!
If ever a proof was needed, that it only takes two to produce a 'tenner', there you have it. And I agree with Andee that Rosie is just crazeeee here.

10 / 10

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Andeebee
I must be going crazeeee as well, as that is the fourth 10 in a row from young Andee

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

VintageVideos
I noticed that all three of us have each awarded two 10's today!

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Good tip about watching this in 480p Andee. By the way, just check Sue out in this at the 50 second mark. Im not sure ive ever seen her lip syncing away like that before, or indeed lip syncing ever. Just proves she was really into this one.

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Andeebee
Yes it is a good tip and the best way to watch it and the same applies to the rest of the YT ones, hopefully I set the DM to watch in 480, but if it doesn't then hover over the top of the video and one of the buttons there allows you to change the video view.....

And yes I did see Sue lip-synching this briefly, Lulu rubbing off at last....

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Indeed we have Vin, great minds with great taste

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

I still think Sue catches "Lulu-itis" towards the end of the April '77 "Sir Duke" routine... and there's her "home" bit during the Banana Boat Song verse on "The Carribean Disco Show". Maybe in the case, "Sir Duke" and "Blame It on the Boogie", it's a case of The Goddess getting "Lost in Music"...

Anyhow, to the dynamic duo here, and they are glorious. Rosie's facial expressions match the mood and the tone just right, and she is as divine as Sue in her movement.

A good job this isn't DotD-eligible as it'll have been hard for me to choose!

Score: 9

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

No but the lip-syncing in this is extra special because its done on stage before an audience. `The Carribean Disco Show` obviously wasn't, but i agree Sue was also in terrific mouthing form in that.

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

PaulF
I love this one, I have watched this numerous times in the past and it always cheers me up.  Two gorgeous girls having fun in skimpy costumes with no scenery or fancy camera tricks to spoil the veiwing. 10/10
Paul

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

And the audience were "behind" (not to mention bored) L&C on that "Sir Duke".

I've also realised The Goddess will overtake poor Pauline on the attendance list by the end of the year...

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Yep Sue will scoop quite a lot courtesy of those Racey boys plus a dose of fish-eyed Galway at Christmas.

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Colm
I think I've spotted another possible moment of Sue-syncing - it looks like she's mouthing "amour" when she turns around on the chair (mere seconds before she blows a kiss) during "Chanson d'Amour".

I did have to watch that scene a few times before I posted that, and I'm quite certain I'm not seeing things

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Nah Colm, not for me, its just a sexy smile. But i will take any excuse to watch her in that again.

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Boogie, that's what Sue, & Rosie, certainly did here, & who can blame them, & d'you know what, I'd like to have some of what they must've been consuming, before that performance, the ladies look like they're on steroids, with such frantic limb motions, at times it tired me out just watching them, but this was always going to be up there with the best dueted routines.

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

I agree these two ladies give it their all and anyone who can dance alongside Sue and hold their own, let alone shine like Rosie does, deserves all the kudos we can award.  They look great in their shiny outfits and those shorts are hypnotic but never keep still for more than a few seconds at a time.  This is a great dance song and I must admit I really like watching the Jackson boys perform it too but these two ladies take it to a new level.  I too think a team of six dancers might have really grabbed us with this one but there's no taking it away from Sue and Rosie.  Really the only issue here is the missing ladies and I continue to struggle with whether this is sufficient reason to subtract marks when it is such a great performance.  OK I will withhold something and score this 9.9/10

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

I don't blame you all for giving high points. You see two gorgeous ladies in similar costume with the dicky bows. That they had    danced in " Everybody Dance ". The routine is joyous to watch from two great dancers. the song itself is that type of get up and go song. Where people just want to dance.

The Dotd will have to go Sue. I must say it was very difficult to choose from both ladies were great. But I must stay faithful to my favourite.

And now for the score it must be my first 10 out of 10.

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

Thanks for your comments guys, this seems a popular performance. Just a reminder SFE, that DOTD is not in operation for Legs & Co routines that feature less than five dancers. I will post the next dance comments from the 12/10/78 edition tomorrow.
RYAN
LNV

Re: BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE -- 1978

LNV
What’s that song, a whole lotta Rosie ?  Yes there certainly is here and it is almost all too much to be taken in. But more of that later. Is not Boogie the very example of how to make a Routine a success by keeping it uncomplicated both in terms of choreography and more importantly in its presentation ? Put the talent on stage and let it shine for all to see. The more a Routine moves away from this assertion; it inevitably becomes entangled in its own attempts at cleverness.

Enough pseudo theory. Rosie and Sue make this dance an adrenaline increasing, heart racing affair. Rosie’s swirling posterior is on the verge of being indecent. It jiggles about with the same free flowing swiftness of a conductor’s baton to the beat of the music. It is so animated that it almost seems to have a life of its own. Remarkable.
I notice that Rosie is panting at the moment where she stops and points to Sue to take over and do her little solo spot. It mirrors Sue in MIH at the finish. This reminds me of how much energy goes into a performance, it all looks so effortless but these dance numbers are really quite a workout for the Girls.

The close up on the sprightly shoe shuffle at the line of course of: “I just can’t control my feet” is a highlight, even if very brief. Rosie displays her range of quirky faces and eyes in wonderment stares.  She is into the part totally and that is why she shines so brightly in the Routine. It is unquestionably one of Rosie’s star moments, whereby she dominates the piece. Another example of where being in tune with the dance inwardly gives the performer more impact with the viewer that mere technical ability.

Sue and Rosie do compliment each other well and it is hard to think of another dance companion for either one that would bring similar success to the Routine. That is a moot point as what we have here is a fun and vivacious performance, which Rosie conveys emphatically to the viewer.