BLUE PETER [December]

BLUE PETER  Dance/performance number 192 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Mike Oldfield  reaching number 16 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  20/12/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.06 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      174
Pauline 173
Rosie    170
Patti     169
Gill       167
Lulu      165
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cjcx2_legs-co-blue-peter-totp-tx-20-12-1979_creation

            ***THIS WILL NOT BE SHOWN ON BBC4 ***
157 weeks ago in December 1976 Legs & Co danced a nautical jaunt to a Mike Oldfield track and here they do so again, but with no Chalky the parrot. Those that attended my Derby event a few months back would have seen this routine done in the actual Blue Peter studio, complete with an end of routine interview by the girls. The bright studio lights and white walls on that occasion made this a much better viewing experience.

The actual tune is a bit tedious after a couple of plays, rather like the show back in the day if memory serves. I must have seen an advent crown made every Christmas during my childhood on BP. Not sure letting kids loose with candles was a smart idea and i would imagine many a living room went up in smoke.

Yeah im digressing cause i cant really think of much to say about this one. Its all jolly Jack tar stuff but its not one i play to often. A bit meh.

DOTD, i will award a Blue Peter badge to `Sue`.

Rating--Make Ryan walk the plank as hes only awarding `5.5 out of 10`. (though can i stress the girls perform the routine splendidly).

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Andy
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Gorgeous Daze
I bet I'm not the only one who feels like letting out a big 'Hello!' at the end of this one.

The nautical outfits are fab, exploiting the TV-land loophole by which the Plimsoll line doesn't apply as long as you're wearing a sweater. The jolly hornpipe is so shipshape and Bristol fashion that it seems like part of the daily routine on the good ship Legs and Co. Blue Peter badges all round. It's likability is based on a tight crew of friends, clapping along to their own performance, always there for each other with a hand-up. Included in the moves is keeping-a-look-out recycled from when two were Dancing With The Captain. If it's the opposition you're looking out for girls you'll need the telescope. And there are touches of chivalry like seen in Portsmouth when they last dropped anchor with Mike Oldfield. In a fun and frolicsome couple of minutes the crow's-nest of a sequence is a well-drilled stand-out for me. I better stop now before I go overboard with the nautical stuff. (Splash!)

Me hearties with Patti and so is me DOTD.  8/10

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

The ladies look just lovely in this performance and it seems just brimful of happiness and cameraderie to me.  The set could perhaps be more interesting but the ladies are highlighted well and overall it is just good plain fun.  I am awarding 8/10  and my DotD goes to midshipman Hammond   BTW I commend the crew for their dainty footwork

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Our ladies in this routine are dressed in nautical hooped outfits. With large blue belts around there waists and neckerchiefs of blue. And white sailor hats on there heads. They are dancing to Blue Peter Theme done to a sailor hornpipe by Mike Oldfield. It interesting that they did this routine twices, the ToTps one and the other on Blue Peter itself. Both are done so well on the programes. But if I had to choose I liked the Blue Peter one because we got a interview with our ladies.

The Dotd must go Sue for a great lead.

The score must be 6 out of 10.

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

This jaunty hornpipe of a routine is great fun and gets a 10 from me with 'Sailor Sue' as my Dotd.

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

This must've been a last minute filler dance routine, when another track was 'frisbied', it's all very simplistic, dancing on a stage that looks like  a part of the blue peter studio, with the ladies dressed as sailors, it's a fun performance, but it just feels like the starter before a main course.

7/10

DotD:-

Gillian

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Colm
I love the smiley nature of this routine. And how in an age where cross-promotion between BBC shows barely existed, the connection to "Blue Peter" is pleasant.

DotD: As I like her intro moves, I have to boost Gill's tally for '79 - as I've said before, '80 looks very bright.

Score: 8

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

PaulF
A jolly jig with all the ladies looking gorgeous. 7/10

DOTD Pauline stood out to me on this one.
Paul

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

A jolly routine and very enjoyable.8/10
DotD:Gill

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Old Grey Whistler
7 out of 10. DOTD is Gill
The dancing is fine but I find the music extremely irritating!
Much preferred Portsmouth.

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

VintageVideos
I like the jolly sailors, they take me back to innocent times even if I could never watch Blue Peter. And here's finally a routine to a complete song (yeah I know it's very short). Not earth-shattering but very pleasant.

8 / 10

DotD: Gill

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

JEZ
I dont realy remember the totp showing of this routine back in 79 all i can remember is the blue peter showing early 80 so i presume i missed this edition of totp apart from the set the dance is more or less the same i think , its not one of my favourites  but a nice little dance nevertheless which is worth an 8

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

AC/PD
A very cheerful routine which, from memory of September's Derby event, was duplicated step for step in the Blue Peter studio a month later. The costumes are perfect for the marine theme as are the dance moves with plenty of interaction between the ladies.
8/10
DOTD: Pauline and her prime pins

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Andeebee
I am not really taken with this, prefer the Blue Peter studio version.......overall a throw away jaunty number which brings back memories for a young ADB....now where did I put that Advent Crown....

Scores: 7/10

Sailor of the day: Sue

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Adorable Gillusion
5/10   DOTD...Gill
Stu

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Stu
Don't like the song, but the girls drag it up with a perfectly executed eye catching performance.

8.5/10

DOTD  Pauline

Stuey

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Mikey
Legs and Co dancing to the Blue Peter theme?, err ok then. Actually i quite like it, there are obviously a limited selection of nautical themed movements but they are all present and correct here, echos of Dancing with the Captain i think, but its a lighthearted affair and i can't complain after the overall excellence of 1979. 7/10. DOTD Sue.

Re: BLUE PETER [December]

Doc
A jolly little dance, I almost expected John Noakes and Shep to come on at the end 8.. Dotd: Close but probably Gill.