BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- [July]

BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE  Dance/performance number 111 by Legs & Co
Performed by  A Taste Of Honey  and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  06/07/78  Duration of dance --  2.41 mins
Dancers -- Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 105
Rosie    102
Sue      102
Lulu       99
Patti      99
Gill        98
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14qd3s_legs-co-boogie-oogie-oogie-totp-tx-06-07-1978-03-08-1978_creation

   Well Legs & Co's fine run of form continues with this upbeat Disco number and they put in another excellent performance. I quite like the way the dancers exit screen to the left and right, and Flick puts this concept to good use in a few other routines in the future. The disco strutting and hand claps are a nice touch, but by far my favourite part of this is their clothing.
   I could actually envisage all the girls wearing this kind of gear in their time away from the TOTPs studio. Take Lulu, i can see her slinking about in her des res London flat after a hard days rehearsing wearing that loose fitting shirt and not much else. Rosie would be taking an Sunday afternoon stroll in the park wearing her dress. Sue looks so classy, i can see her visiting posh Knightsbridge boutiques dresses in her gear. Patti i can see attending a cocktail party. Pauline is geared up for the roller disco, just needs to strap on the protective knee and elbow pads. So much for my furtive mind.

  Dancer of the day is just so difficult. That walk and turn by Lulu about a minute in with the high kick is nice. Pauline also gets better with every view. But once again its that girl `Sue` who just catches my eye most in this one for me. She makes these moves look so effortless and its no wonder Flick often placed her in central positions in routines. Thats to take nothing away from the other girls who were on top form also.

  This is one of those routines to benefit from being on the box, rather than on a computer screen, which is the way we've viewed it of late. The enhanced images have certainly raised my rating of this and im giving this `9.25 out of 10`.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Suefan
Another fine dance with the various comings and goings working a treat.  We might only see it from the one angle but the great costumes amply make up with some crackers amongst them.  Everyone is on top form but those fast spins, in heels that seem higher than usual, mean I'm casting a Dotd vote for Sue in her pink pantaloons along with an 8.5 for the routine itself.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

With the girls dancing mainly from side to side and somewhat restricted in their backwards and forwards moves, this formation is like a looser version of five-a-side table football. The smallest, Patti and Pauline (she's got the shorts, socks, and of course, the perm) dazzling us in attack, Sue commanding midfield, and the tallest two, Rosie and Lulu, providing the rearguard action. Gill is presumably in the dug-out. And the manager, Flick, is about to switch codes to Subbuteo. Even so, Palitoy would've been on to a sure-fire winner with Table Top Legs & Co.

Anyway, enough of this barmy analogy. This isn't a match and neither are the outfits, but they are complimentary and their fetching styles and variety helps to get this one replays (Oops). I like the shiny set and the pulsing lights, which work well in illuminating the girls without glare. And the now-you-see-them-now-you-don't element is another favourable thing for me. The moves are largely generically disco, but they totally befit the song and they aren't something you can get bored by with these girls. And lest we forget, they were fresh dance-floor actions at the time.

I found it very close between Pauline and Sue for Woman of the Match - I'm off again! - but I finally opted for Sue for pulling off those spins in such high mules.

9/10.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
We are getting spoilt with all these fabulous routines week after week and there’s more than enough honey here for everyone. There is certainly something different about this routine with its finger points and toe flicks that work well with the formation line up. As the ’78 World Cup had just finished I would reward a superb performance from that girl with the great legs at the back of the team. Dotd Lulu 9/10.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Paperboyplod
Another very fine routine indeed, with ll of the bright colours & energy that we saw a few weeks ago with Let's All Chant, I like the fact that there's a variety of different outfits, & Sue's fluorescent pink pants look amazing, & she really throws herself I to this routine, & the rest of the dancers don't fair too badly either.

9/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

I really like this smooth Disco tune and the ladies in their varied outfits all have their strengths.  I also really like the stage set-up for this dance.  Sue certainly performs wonderfully and Lulu looks really hot but I have to confess to being entranced once again by the raven haired beauty in one of my favorite outfits; the slit sided sparkly cocktail dress Patti sports is my subject of course.   She just captures the essence of sexy disco for me here and once again Patti gets my DotD vote.   A 9.5/10 from me and a tip of the hat to the costume dept for this one.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Andeebee
Legs & Co modelling the latest looks from Freemans 1978 Autumn/Winter catalogue.

Lulu looks hot in this, I remember this look on some of the local girls back in my home town.

Patti is sparkly in her slit dress number, I can see why it got P4PM all bothered.

Sue with her wonderful bat wing jumper and pink trews and nice new haircut looks heavenly in this, and that perfect spin earns her the coveted DOTD.

For me this gets 9.25

great track, but the best routine for modelling is coming up later in the year...

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

AC/PD
Despite being a contradiction, I see this as a carefully choreographed free-for-all, due to the entering and exiting stage left or right and the non-uniformity of the varied outfits. It's almost as if the ladies have a choice of dancing when they want to and then leaving the floor and returning at will.
Additionally it's a bit we're privy to a live audition where the moves match, but the costumes don't. "Never mind the costumes girls, just show us what you can do"
What impresses is that the whole routine's shown in a single take, with no cutaways whatsoever from zooming away from the flower on Pauline's tight curls right through the end with a move to the side, almost as seen through the eyes of a dance judge, who may well be going off to have a word with the lighting operator because 'the one at the back, dressed for a picnic in the park' isn't getting enough light on her.
In amongst the dance-floor disco moves, the ladies perform a nice little D.J. moment, by incorporating the action of spinning the disk and listening to the sound on the a single headphone. If they were in flats, I wonder if they could have invented the Moonwalk a few years early.
Effortless Sue does indeed look like she's just arrived from a clothes-shopping expedition 'up West', didn't have time to change and so dumps the bags off stage and gets straight into the routine. Maybe that's why they disappear from view every so often - to make sure no one's pinched the Bond Street shopping bags. (Also randomly checking on Rosemary's picnic-basket)
As for the one in the pink shorts: as well as the roller skates, I can picture her whirling around with a carefully-balanced drinks tray  on the tips of her fingers as a Martini girl , but without the famous slogan....
Pauline leads the frontline with Patti playing slightly withdrawn and her moves, spins and high kick clinches the Bottle of Champagne accolade.
DOTD: The Martini Girl

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Old Bill
Gosh... it's so pink! It's like I've had strawberry Angel Delight smeered into my eyes.

But the real sweet course here are our very own angels & Co.

Thankfully I'd watched it before reading GD's table-football analogy. I can't get that out of my head now!
Too bad Gill had had to be dropped from the line-up though, sometimes that empty place is rather apparent.

Like others have said I like the going off into the wings, and that they're doing own thing quite often.
But it is all a bit like a prototype for Take a Chance On Me.

But all very enjoyable, even though I must say I don't like the costumes much. A vision of the 80s style that is to come...

7.5 / 10.

And BoogieOogieOogieroftheDay is Sue. For managing to dance in those slip on shoes if nothing else!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

What a choice to make - I initially thought of awarding Patti to take the honours this time around, as she is highly alluring here - then again, everyone is; I like the contrast of the outfits all connected by pink.

My top two are almost inseparable - Pauline is, as always, on target with the moves and brings 110% of fun into the bargain; but  taking the prize for this one from me is Sue - also injecting fun, vitality and immaculate spins along the way.

My score: 8.5
Stu

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Stu
Really enjoyed this, sometimes it makes a nice change when the girls are dressed individually, and they all looked great. It did look to me like the stage and choreography was set up with all six girls in mind, so it's a bit of a shame that we're a girl down here, but I though it was a great upbeat number. Pauline catches the eye in those shorts just edging out Sue in her satin pants!

9/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

So we were deprived of seeing Hazel Payne & Janice-Marie Johnson (pic of Janice below)

but there was no real reason to mourn for long as Legs & Co provided a more than adequate compensation. A classic disco tune, attractive outfits, what more could we want.

8.5 /10

DotD is beyond question for me this time, it's got to be the Queen of the Dancefloor, Pauline. She's looking just too cool here.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Doc
For getting to the front for a change Pauline!

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
4/10   DOTD...Sue

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

bucksby
another classic track would say the routine was a classic though it's good but doesn't really truly excite me. The outfits are fine and I think Patti in particular looks great. DOTD Sue. the routine an 7

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

This is the pink routine for me, because everyone of the ladies are wearing pink in there costumes. Sue who is wearing bat winged blouse and pink trouser with pink shoes. Lulu wearing fitted shirt tied with belt and pink shoes. Patti is wearing a pink cocktail dress. Pauline is wearing pink hot pants and pink blouse and shoes. That just leaves Rosie that can hardly be seen at the back of the stage. But is wearing a pink summer dress and a large brimmed hat. The song is a great disco song the only hit for A Taste of Honey. Flick uses another trick she uses a lot. The ladies come on and off the stage at veriest times of the routine. With some great disco dancing.

The Dotd go to the wonderful Sue for her great solo moments. That means great spins and disco movement. And moment were she flicks back her head just fantastic.

The score is 9.50 out of 10.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
There is an awful lot of pink in this routine what with the clothing and the lighting. No need to wear my rose tinted glasses this time. The girls look as though they are on the catwalk modelling the latest fashions. The choreography is good and the dancers have plenty of freedom of expression.  It is just a shame that Rosie and Lulu are stuck at the back.
I will score it a 9 out of 10. Sue is DOTD as she catches my eye the most.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Doc
Pretty good routine but I deducted a point for keeping Rosie in the dark and only allowing Lulu a brief glimpse of light. 8/10.

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
It looks like the girls were doing some clothes shopping in a department store and when they popped out of the changing rooms, the disco lights came on, the in store Radio tuned to A Taste of Honey and they couldn't resist strutting their stuff in the aisle. The dashing in and out reminds one of a certain ABBA routine from earlier in the year and Sue has gone pirouette mad - however it's hot pink Pauline who stands out from the crowd. 8/10

Re: BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE -- 1978

Mikey
Very nice disco record, not one that gets played on so called classics stations, but its a laid back sound that is like ear candy to me. So the routine plays like a pink themed fashion show on fast forward as they zoom in and out of the wings in various formations of solos and group pieces. Lots of nice posing and standard disco styled moves are incorporated, and the routine feels light and upbeat inkeeping with the song. I did like the mock dj'ing towards the end, very droll, in fact there are so many little touches i keep seeing more all the time. Nothing outlanding this time on the outfits, but Pauline's is my favourite and shes my DOTD too. A decent routine i'll give it 7.5/10.