Quantcast

BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Both Sides Now
Performed by Judy Collins and reaching number 14 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 05/02/1970 Duration of dance - 3.13 mins
Dancers:  Andi, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZBjKoYX3c

There aren't many Pan's People routines that are leaving me cold. But this is one of them. It's not that I do not like the fine voice of Judy Collins, and the Joni Mitchell composition sure is a beautiful song. So what is wrong with this dance?

Firstly, it's just in black and white. I really don't know why, we have "Green River" and "Wedding Bell Blues" in colour which are from even earlier editions. But the absence of colours is definitely spoiling my viewing pleasure.

Secondly though, would I love it if it was in colour? I seriously doubt it. It's not just that the moves look antiquated, the dresses seem to be rather old-fashioned as well. Furthermore, in the first part of the routine several of the girls are much too static for my liking. And is it just me who thinks that the camera work leaves a lot to be desired?

I think this is one of the worst Pan's People routines that we have, and so for the first time on the Pan's People comments section I will award a rating of only 3/10.

As Dancer of the Day, well noone really stands out here, but I will nominate Andi for her nice little solo at the beginning.
Vin

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
I'm trying to think of something nice to say

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

I'm guessing that this routine was more typical of those early performances by Pan's People & their predecessors, The Go-jo's.
I do quite like this, it's sweet, & would've looked amazing in colour, the ladies look sensationally elegant in those long flowing dresses, & there's some great little dances they do with each other within the wider routine.

7/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

I agree with VV's comments about how underwhelming the routine appears and the standard of the camerawork, particularly towards the end with the close-ups, but on reflection, the choreography is gentle and ideally matches the dreamy sounds of "Both Sides Now".

My Dancer of the Day, on the basis of who's attracted my attention most, is Babs; she's lovely here.

Score: 6/10

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Not a song I go a bundle for but this is fine choreography with the interweaving shapes accomplished with nary a hitch.   Dee Dee and Flick's great big smiles as they near the end of the number tells us that.  It's not typical Pans fare but shows what a versatile group of dancers they were.  Having said that I'm not a fan of the semi beehive hair-does nor of the high waist to the dresses, and those boots don't seem to fit with the rest of the look.  So I'm going to give this one a 7.5 with once again Andi as my DotD for her nice opening spin.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

  First of all lets just be thankful this footage survives, so much from that time is lost. For me the song is dreary beyond belief. Then again Judy Collins seemed to specialize in making these doleful drab tunes, just who actually went into record shops then to by these kind of songs ?
  Yes the monochrome visuals certainly play a part in making this one to avoid maybe. One would imagine in colour this would be 10 times better. Thank goodness Legs & Co were all colour !
   Its an awful record to provide choreography for and indeed to dance to. The 6 dancers do a pretty good job though with some nice moves. I have however seen far worse, so i think a score of `4.75 out of 10` will suffice.

DOTD, all much of a muchness, but i like Lady Powell`s smile, so `Babs` gets my vote.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

VintageVideos
Thanks guys for your most interesting comments. So far this routine has fared much better than I expected. Maybe BeautifulBabs was right in saying that there is no real Pan's People dud?
Vin

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Likes :
Andi and Babs
At least its not wiped
Probably kept mary whitehouse off their backs for a while
Better than iohefu and without you
At least the girls would not have got tired/out of breath doing this.

Loses marks for :

Costumes like the von trapp family in sound of music after Maria made them clothes out of the curtains.

Facing inwards too much

Not at all sexy ..ok it is 1970 but these are the girls who got sprayed gold in their underwear in 1968 the good the bad and the ugly and as Vv said too danced earlier to Green River.

Hair up like the bennett sisters in pride and prejudice- this annoys me in close to you too though it works well in your so vain.

Song- ok flick did not choose but she should have gone on strike for such a non dancy routine.

Unclear whether the girls have legs under their dresses.

This routine often gets compared to Temma Harbour but temma harbour is far better and this drags it down.

Is this really how we want to remember Pans ?

At the end of the routine the girl sitting next to tony blackburn has a v bored look and I sympathise.

so a 4 from me and Babs dotd for smiling through such a square dance-

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

PattiForPM
Sorry, trying to recompose self after almost blowing gasket reading BB's best review yet...

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
you're welcome p4pm Canada may well be re-admitted to the 2014 commonwealth games

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Love to see Pans do a sexy dance to this, wearing those dresses too !

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

I agree 'Temma Harbour' is a lot better than this one. The other B&W clip from that time is 'I'm A Man', it will be interesting to see how these two will be rated. I expect high marks from you for 'I'm A Man':

Vin

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Yes, even i will ramp up the marks for `Im A Man`, thats a `gud un` !

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

lovely babs picture thanks VV I'm a man will be higher than this one as at least the girls look less like schoolteachers in that one

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Paperboyplod
If the routines were as literal back then, as they became later on, the ladies in I'm A Man could've been dressed as men, like in a few Legs & Co. routines in the future.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

VintageVideos
yeah like in 'I Wish'
Vin

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

At least Legs & Co could diversify

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

OK recomposed now.  First off, stop with this criticizing this classic composition by one of the most brilliant Canadian singer songwriters in History; however I must admit not a Dance classic!  Next the clothing is indeed not that becoming for lissom young ladies and the whole atmosphere seems more like a quilting bee than a TOTPs show but it does fit with the tune.  I do like the circling and escalating speed (somewhat) towards the end and I keep looking at the hurricane weather map on the wall and seeing parallels with the Dance but maybe that's just me being silly.  I also like the smiles which creep onto the ladies' faces at times but I really can't say I enjoy this one too much and it really is all down to it not being danceable music IMO and the B&W sure doesn't help as Vin says.  I'm giving a generous 5/10 and giving DotD to Babs for allowing more than a lock of lovely blonde hair to escape the beehive (Flick almost got this award for same reason).  Lastly doesn't Blackbum look young and like a Tracy in Thunderbirds?

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Andeebee
Well my short review will consist of this:

Dreary: - 1/10
DOTD: - Dee Dee

Yup that simple......

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
you're not far wrong adb but deedee for me epitomises the grumpy school teacher look in this routine