BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

VintageVideos
Thanks for all the comments so far, not a very popular routine as it seems, but I'm sure there must be some more opinions on this one.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Hmmm. I've been trying to think of some positive things to say here, bit it isn't easy. The song doesn't do much for me, and old-fashioned as it is the girls' matronly appearance is more dated still and therefore unsuitable. It does at least do its bit to highlight the wide diversity of Pan's People routines. Five years between this and Barbados? Seems more like 50. Being in black and white doesn't alter the routine at all, only our experience of it. But as experience is a key determinant in how we assess the dances it's bound to affect the ratings here. Monochrome can favour some, Audrey Hepburn for one, but it's no medium for a dance troupe. That vortex of a backdrop and the dresses might be a kaleidoscope of colour for all we know, but everything looks dreadfully dull. An impression which is not lightened by the overly courtly dance.

There is some quite nice twirling and spinning and it does at least have a gentle innocence to appreciate from the vulgarized world of 2013. But all in all it's like watching the Women's Institute Apprenticeship Ball. DOTD Babs for catching my eye the most and letting her hair down a bit.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Andeebee
most of the early 70's ones are pretty dreadful, doesn't really pick up till bout 73, when good old glam came in

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

JEZ
I know this routines doesent seem to rate much with the majority of members on here ,but pheraps i am one of the exepetions ,first of all the song isnt bad at all ,which always proves a bonus for me ,second the outfits matched the style of judy collins single and the music ,not even mary whitehouse would have cause for complain at these outfits ,if every routine was done using skinpy flimsy clothes everytime ,the whole thing every week would simply become very predictable ,by using differenet styles of costumes to fit in with the mood of a song proved imagininivity ,and im not really sure how else flick could have interpretated this song any other way ,other than pheraps making it a ballet type routine ,the constant twirls in and out of each girl looked great ,and the camera close of up of certain dancers also worked well ,pheraps the dresses looked a little better in colour ,but apart from that the whole thing worked well ,i give a 7 .5 for this routine ,and i definitley can say that dancer of the day for me was babs ,her hairstyle on this ,was what made my desision

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

bucksby
I do like the song and it isn't a bad routine but the dresses are pretty awful to be honest. They made the routine look older than it is (and so does it being in black and white) You can only do so much with a slow song and and I think all things considered I will give it a 7. Regarding the colour issue there should be an attempt at recolourising those early 1970 tele recordings they would look so much better, it is just a cost issue I think at the end of the day. Anyway dancer of the day for me is Babs

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Who's That Hurll
This is pleasant Sunday afternoon fayre, with a cup of tea and a biscuit alongside you. It is certainly more watchable than some people have given it credit for and the twirling and leaping is not over done and fits in nicely with the tune.
DOTD Babs. 7/10.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Andeebee
ha ha I can picture you WTH, with a tea and a biscuit, china cup shaking slightly when the girls come on....

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

No real stand outs here, so I'm going for the Boss. Flick for dotd.
Still living in 1979

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Old Bill
Wow... some people really don't like this one do they??

I think it's lovely! They look lovely, lovely dresses, lovely hair-dos, a lovely song, and some lovely lovely moves.

It would have been even lovelier in colour... or would it though? The black and white could be adding to the general wisftul feel to the song. Maybe the dresses were black and white anyways! I wonder if the monochromacy is subconsciously affecting people's enjoyment of it. It all fits in with a still very 60s feel - a few years later they would have been dancing under big swaying plywood clouds a la Living on an Island.

It gets a healthy 7/10 from me. And DotD - this is hard, they're all on a par. So it has to come down to the hair. Louise and Flick both look fantastic with their hair up (up-ish in Flick's case) and as the last couple of my DotDs have been Louise, it's the boss for me today.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Lookmacinanger
A very gentle but well constructed routine that is perfectly paced for this track. 7/10. Dotd Flick

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

L&C4me
9/10 - DOTD Flick

This takes me back.

I originally watched this in B&W because that was the type of TV we had at the time. So it appears the way it was for me back then.

This is such a dreamy, very reflective song that I feel the choreography was spot on. They dance with a dreamy elegant flowing presence and a background of an intangible otherworldly galaxy around them. The dance flow and costumes are reminiscent of the Sound of Music, very much the substance of pleasant contemplation.

Originally, I thought Judi Collins had got a downer on clouds, love & life. Her tone of voice emits mixed messages very skillfully. She's really considering her change in attitudes as she moves through life, observing behavours that unintensionally developed along the way.  On reflection, the only one she has a downer on is clouds and she is sitting on the fence with regard to love & life. Quite realistic really because love can be the most satisfying yet fraught element. We cannot fully know and appreciate these last two untlil they are almost over, with life being a continuous learning experience .

It is great to see Flick dancing to this, with her demeanor that fits this song so very well.

Usually I favour dances with sleek moves, skimpy attire, moody presence and a very feminine look. However, I enjoy this very very much. Such a lovely song, melody & nicely appropriate dance routine with a presence of years gone by.
Jim

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Mikey
Well i have a bit of a soft spot for this much maligned routine. Despite the airy fairy song, its one of those dances that gradually builds in terms of energy and complexity throughout the course of the song, until the final minute it sparkles into life with spinning and leaping all over the place. At one point the 3 dancers spinning in a middle circle swap with the outer circle and then continue in the same formation which all looks very technical and impressive to me. The symmetry of the presentation is another plus point, and no one seems to make any mistakes the whole way through.

The outfits aren't much to get excited about but we can watch Green River or I Want You Back for the skimpy ones.

Despite the b&w issue i still find this very watchable and so its 8/10, DOTD Andi

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

PaulF
I don't think that this was as bad as some of the scores reflect. The routine is nicely matched to the song, the girls perform admirably, and always nice to see Flick dance. Yes its an older clip and the camera work is not good but the routine and performance are still worth a 6/10 and DOTD Babs.
Paul

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Old Grey Whistler
This is a fascinating thread to read as there is such diversity of opinion.  The title Both Sides Now could apply to the reviews with quite strong pro and anti opinions being expressed.
All things considered , I think this is quite good. The dresses look a little dowdy but would probably have looked a bit better in colour, and I think a more skimpy look wouldn't have matched the song. I am no fashion expert but I think the dresses would have gone better with shoes rather than boots.
The routine gets off to a slow start but gradually picks up pace and there are some nice gentle movements. The song is really good but not ideal dance music - compared to Legs & Co, I think Pans were quite unfortunate with some of the songs that they had to dance to, but I think they squeezed what they could out of this.
So I am happy to give this a solid 7 out of 10 with Andrea as dancer of the day.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

PansLegs
This has the unfortunate fate of various negative factors coming together at the same time in one performance. Judy Collins has a fine voice but I am not a particular fan of folk music, finding it quite downbeat and usually a little depressing and this cover of Both Sides Now is not very uplifting. Then we have Pans looking harsh with hair up and wearing some rather unflattering dresses with the combined result of seeming much older than their years. Add to that the lack of colour in the existing recording and the performance looks as if it could have been from some drab 1950s variety show, not the No.1 chart music show from just into the 1970s!

It is one of Pans strengths that they were able to tackle a wide variety of music and provide some very different visuals to go with that music, but the juxtaposition of elements here really disappoints. This could be partly due to half expecting a fun filled, colourful explosion of youth during this era and when that doesn't happen it feels like a complete let down. There's no doubt there are some skilful and traditional style dance moves on display during the performance but that's not enough to lift the overall result.

In complete contrast is the mini performance from the opening titles of this episode, the 2nd of three known to exist. This example has the troupe in the sort of upbeat mode we would expect at this time with go-go style moves and attire to match. In black & white it still comes across as a great opening to the show (even if the girls already have their hair up in readiness for the later performance) but compare it with the colour version I have mocked up and it's easy to see how much of the freshness can sometimes be lost with the colour drained. Even so, I don't expect the main number from this show to be that improved even in colour and therefore I can only give it a 3. Andrea is my DotD.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

VintageVideos
PansLegs wrote
compare it with the colour version I have mocked up
Great work, PansLegs. It looks very professional to me.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

PansLegs
Thanks Vin, I nearly gave up it was taking so long.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Doc
I get the feeling that those dresses would have been intended to give the new colour TV a work out, unfortunatley in black and white they just look dreary.  It's a fairly sweet dance that is slightly better than Ain't no Sunshine that I've just rated so I'll give it the same mark 7/10.
Still living in 1979

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

VintageVideos
Heartthrobfan wrote
Is the other miniskirt dance anywhere to be found?
it's here (though in pretty bad quality!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b42rYhKNIQ
1234