BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

The people who bought this kind of record Ryan was religious sanctimonious types.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

Dancer
I first saw this routine on TOTP2 and noted Steve Wright's comments which were true to be fair.  This routine did really nothing for me.  I did not like the dresses very much but that maybe because they were in black and white.

I was not a fan of Judy Collins music in the seventies at all but have to say she is now and her Greatest Hits CD is a guilty pleasure of mine.  She could certainly sing well and I would have loved to have seen her live.  She introduced Leonard Cohen to the stage as he suffered terrible stage fright and put him at ease.  I was not keen on Amazing Grace but it did grace the charts copious times in the early seventies and again was very sanctimonious.  In my opinion her best song was the 1975 hit Send in the Clowns from her album Judith.  Having heard this song done so many times by different people Judy did it proud and I would have liked this to get to No.1.  Pans People should have danced to the latter and I always wondered why they didn't.

Both Sides Now though was a boring sombre song and Flick did her best devising a routine for it but it is not one I watch again and again.  Could be archived and I would not mind.  I will award best dancer to Andi and give the dance six out of ten.  I would give higher but it was in black and white and not much close ups of the girls.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 1970

CoffeeThing
Another tune that brings back memories of young childhood. Quite a technical routine and clearly of the earlier variety. I watched it fondly. 7.5/10 and Flick gets DOTD for not only a wonderful personal delivery if her vision but for that incredible smile near the end. It's sad to think we have lost some of these lovely ladies.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

MADMAX
Wow this is old, B&W the song is OK the routine is fair, the rotation allowed you to see the girls,(Oh Flick was dancing) certainly no one of there sexier dances but for what it is I'll give it 6.5

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Doc
It's in black and white because the BBC threw the colour version in the bin! TOTP was colour from 1970 but policy was to reuse the tapes after any potential overseas sales were exhausted because no one would want to watch them again would they! A number of early 70's performance survive thanks to B&W telerecordings or home video recordings on B&W machines (colour ones were too expensive!).
Still living in 1979

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Everything'sRosie
Deeply unfashionable and with lips so incongruously fixed in a smile, one wonders if Colgate had some sort of sponsorship input here. But enough of Tony Blackburn, what about the Pans dance? Not one of their finest outings, I admit, but it's pretty inoffensive. And what are they supposed to do with it? Folkies don't make music to dance to. In their exclusive world making light of their introspective meanderings would be seen as something only the great unwashed would do. But, alas, it was served up to Flick for Thursday night consumption, and she had to come up with something. Light-footed and feminine intertwinings are the order of the day, and that's about it. The frocks are awful, like something newly married middle-class women, circa 1970, might wear to an after christening party in a suburban garden, weather permitting. I like the hair-up though, more young woman than girl.

Worth noting, not a single "thumbs down" on YouTube (as of writing). But for me just a 5/10

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

This routine starts with our ladies in a circle. And from that moment we have circular movements through out this routine with spins and soft leaps. These movements go well with this classic song by Joni Mitchell. Even the Laura Ashley Dresses and boots seem to go well with this routine.

I choose Andi for dancer for this routine. With her wonderful spins in this routine.

So my marks will be 6 out of 10.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Ironically one of the dresses appears to have survived and was offered for sale on EBay a few years back.
Still living in 1979

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Thanks sueforever. "Both Sides Now" has just become one of three Pan's People routines that have achieved 26 ratings. Not bad for a dance whose average is so low that it didn't even make the Top 100. There must be something fascinating about this routine that caused a lot of members to rate it.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

  Memories, how they do provoke and console oneself. I can distinctively remember the song 'Both Sides Now' from the time, so must have seen a performance somehow and somewhere but, try as I might, I cannot recollect seeing this Pan's People routine from the time. I was watching TOTPs by this stage- early 1970- but probably not every week then, so I could have seen it at the time, but any flicker of recognisance lies lost in the fog of long distant time. Do I like this routine? It is early Pan's- one of my very favourite periods- so the answer is clearly yes. It has a sweetness and charm which may have been typical of the time from the girls. It is a very circular performance, with circling movements in both bodies- as they twirl gracefully around- and arms, particularly as they are held above the head. And another attractive feature from this routine are the three girl hand held circles seen in the centre of the stage. All this seems to be emphasised by the swirl design of the set in the background. Coincidence, possibly? But very serendipitous.
  From the bikinis of Green River to the long, almost maxi length and high necked dresses of Both Sides Now. This does show the versatility of Pan's People and the ability to perform a routine in any costume as required. I feel the dresses suit the song and music admirably. Although we only have the black and white footage to examine, it has left me wondering about these gowns. They do seem to be the same design, but were they all the same colour? Probably they were but until any colour detail arrives to confirm that, the doubt remains. With these long dresses, flesh-coloured boots and hair pinned up in a bun, I think all the girls look very attractive, elegant and enchanting. From the sexual hotness of Green River to the sensual demureness of Both Sides Now in a few brief steps.
   Judy Collins is an artist I can recall well from the period, or a little later. And one I liked more in times gone past than I do today. I might find her vocals a little too smooth nowadays, but I remember very well taking a trip from London to a bland concert hall in Reading one evening to see her in concert. This was about 1980 or 1981, I would have been about 20 or 21- and I reckon I was easily the youngest person there! ( This recollection does cause me to reflect on the passage of time. It would only have been about 10 years after Both Sides Now was in the charts- but she did seem like an artist from another, long-gone era. So fast was the music business in the 1970s ). She recorded a lot of memorable and high quality cover versions from artists like Joni Mitchell- as we have here, Bob Dylan and numerous artists. All done to a very high standard as was her norm.
   As stated above this routine exudes a great charm and a pleasurable lightness to me. Also, as I find, it is difficult to separate one single dancer above any other, so typical from this tight-knit group of Pan's. Andi has a head start for her elegant first solo and nearly stole the whole routine. But for me it had to be Babs for DOTD in this, her huge smiles while holding hands with Ruth and Flick in their small circle dance, and later at about 02.30 in the routine. She seems just so happy to be there!
   The routine as a whole I mark as 9/10. I like it very much- it even reminds me so much of the early 1970s. If any one has a ready to leave Time Machine can you set the controls for February 1970- I want a one-way single ticket please.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Hanway2
  Probably makes no difference to anything, but I should have pointed out when mentioning their hair that the Members all have theirs pinned- except for Babs and Flick!

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

PattiforPM
Your reviews make a really good read Hanway and I must commend you for the interesting reminiscences.  Now that you have completed your unbiased assessment, I would ask whether you have read one of the funniest reviews I have ever seen on here by BeautifulBabs (a real Pans Fan but not a fan of this Dance).  I come back to read it much more often than I watch this Dance I must admit!

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Hanway2
 Thanks for pointing that review out to me, P4PM. As I am deliberately avoiding earlier reviews before making my own comments I had not seen that, recently. I had read them last year but not since. This is in order that I am not swayed by other opinions before forming mine.
 But Beautiful Babs and me came to the same decision for DOTD and for the same reason!

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

VintageVideos
Thank you Hanway2 for sharing your memories with us. I can't believe that it's now more than five years since I wrote the intro for this routine. I was still a Pan's newbee then, with BSN only the 10th routine that was featured on the PPCT.
Even though I hardly ever watch it, I would rate it a bit higher now than I did back then, but nowhere near the 9 you gave. This routine is still waiting for its first 10, but you came closest so far.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Suefan
VintageVideos wrote
........ I would rate it a bit higher now than I did back then......
Redressing the balance I feel on reflection my 7.5 was a spot on the over generous side.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

VintageVideos wrote
Thank you Hanway2 for sharing your memories with us. I can't believe that it's now more than five years since I wrote the intro for this routine. I was still a Pan's newbee then, with BSN only the 10th routine that was featured on the PPCT.
Even though I hardly ever watch it, I would rate it a bit higher now than I did back then, but nowhere near the 9 you gave. This routine is still waiting for its first 10, but you came closest so far.
   Damn, I should have given the routine a 10! This is the first of what I call the 'hippy dances' that Pan's performed for the first few years on TOTPs, meaning about 1970-72, and you know what- they all resonate very highly for me. It's what I like.
  Also, about the Judy Collins concert I went to as mentioned in the review. I knew I had the date written down somewhere, so had a look through some old papers and found it. It was on 9th October 1980 at the Hexagon, Reading. I was therefore 20 years old. I think the concert was about half full, certainly not completely full, to see Ms. Collins that evening. I do not remember too much about the set-list, but I do feel that it was a decent enough performance, though.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Caracalla
This is actually one of my favourite Pans routines ( though I fully expect to be pursued by villagers with flaming torches for saying so!)
I think the clothes are very pretty and the girls look lovely, particularly Dee Dee. The camera work isnt great but then so much of it wasnt very good before Flick took over direction. Also the camera failings aren't the fault of Flick or the dancers.
They make very good use of the small space with balletic leaps and intricate moves. The overall look is pretty. The music is very nice and the lyrics poignant. I also love the slight rocking/waiting pose of the girls round the outside at various stages.
Excellent work ladies.

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

PattiforPM
I'll get me torch

Re: BOTH SIDES NOW -- 05/02/1970

Caracalla
haha!
i shall retreat to a high precipice... oh dear
1234