BUCKET T -- 12/10/1968

Bucket T
Performed by Jan & Dean
Original broadcast date 12/10/1968 Duration of dance - 1.29 mins
Dancers: Andi, Dee Dee, Flick
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DrXOW5-ocM

The Vanity Fare, The Casuals, The Merseys, The Love Affair, The Grapefruit, Harry Nilsson, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, The Who, Sandie Shaw, The Easybeats & The Troggs… all these artists featured on Beat Club No. 36, broadcast on German TV on 12/10/1968, still in glorious black and white. The hosts of that show were Uschi Nerke (who still is an icon in Germany) and DLT, long before he presented his first episode of Top Of The Pops. To kick things off, Beat Club had hired the "Go Go Girls" from London called Pan's People, dancing to Jan & Dean's "Bucket T".

William Jan Berry and Dean Ormsby Torrence were pioneers of the "surf music" craze in the 1960's. They had a string of hits in the US, most notably "Surf City" which went to No. 1 in the US in 1963 (No. 26 in the UK). "Bucket T" had originally been released as the flipside of the single "Batman" in 1966. Now, and I quote wikipedia, "a T-bucket (or Bucket T) is a specific style of hot rod, based on a Ford Model T of the 1915 to 1927 era, but extensively modified, or alternatively built with replica components to resemble a Model T." This should explain why the song begins with the sounds of a starter.

Beat Club creator Mike Leckebusch was always known for his creative and sometimes controversial ideas. The visual design of the show was often way ahead of its times but just as frequently also ahead of its audience and viewers. "Bucket T" incorporates several visual effects which may look cheap today but were quite revolutionary 46 years ago. Yet there's just a thin line between visual enhancements and annoying effects.

This Pan's People performance is unique as it is the earliest full routine (excluding support routines) that is publicly available (a few full performances on "Beat Beat Beat", which predate Beat Club, are probably still in existance, but up to now they are nowhere to be found). Unfortunately it was just used as a kick-starter and thus is a tad short. The style is still very much the Go-go dancing of the 1960's and doesn't bear much resemblance to Pan's People how we know them from their TOTP performances. For that reason, this routine isn't very likely to gather high ratings from our members. But, historically it is an interesting 90 seconds to watch, if only because there is so little else left from that time period.

As only three members of Pan's People were featured in this performance (the first on this thread without Ruth!), it's not eligible for Dancer of the Day. But I just love Dee Dee's infectious smile here and so she would have got my vote! My rating of this dance is balanced between the historic value with its almost comical appeal and the fact that I don't play this often as I much prefer Pan's People's later work:

6 / 10
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Paperboyplod
It's not a dance routine for anybody who's particularly sensitive to the stroboscopic lighting effects, that were totally pointless, & should've been preceded by a health warning, as I'm certain, would've happened these days.
But that niggle aside, the ladies really look like they're having a ball, dancing to such a energetic track, if rather a novelty one, by the sounds of it, & there's a great Flick moment where we get a close-up shot of her, looking directly towards the camera at her viewers.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

It might not be what we would come to expect from Pans but I like this, all too brief unfortunately,  bit of 'Go-Go' ing.  I shouldn't have wanted it every week but as a kick-starter it certainly got my motor running.  A shame I cannot choose a Dotd as I'd have given Flick my support for her great dancing and expressions, but I can give this a score which is an 8.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Great historic recording this.  I love those short minis and the 60s Go-Go style but yes the strobe lighting is annoying and it is frustratingly short.  Dee Dee's smiles are great and Andi looks interesting in her short haired version but if there had been a DotD I too would have been nominating Flick.   Overall I think 7/10  is fair for me.  BTW how on Earth did DLT get the Beat Club gig?  It clearly wasn't his linguistic prowess!

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

ok thanks VV a Babsless dance from Babs time
will it be sunday best from bobbie gentry next week just to wind me up..

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Andeebee
well if you can find a copy on the net BB, as I won't put it up to upset the BBC...

Not a fan of early pans, but a fan of early Dee Dee thou.....yes I gave my DOTD away straight away.

One of the few surviving Beat Club early editions, but really don't like the 'Surf sound' from back then.

5/10

DOTD: have a guess I gave it away earlier

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Nah not my kinda thing at all, but ive seen much worse. Awful song, watchable routine, but not one id choose to play again.

 Okay then, `60s chick Flick`.  was my favourite dancer in this routine. (im now fully aware this is not a Dotd vote)

`6.5 out of 10`

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

I am well aware that my intros are a bit long sometimes, so here's a gentle reminder that your votes for DotD will not be counted as only three of the six ladies were present in this dance
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Mikey
Short, sweet, and wobbly (the picture that is). Its nice to see an early clip but despite all 3 being very enthusiastic i dont think it will be winning any awards soon. Nice to see Andi with a different hairstyle here too. The strobe effects look ok to me, and add a little to the performance which has no set and could be a little bland otherwise.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

so are we striking out the dotd votes for disco connection also with 3 dancers ?

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

PattiforPM
These boys are sharp

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Andeebee wrote
well if you can find a copy on the net BB, as I won't put it up to upset the BBC...
ADB I would love it if you upset the BBC - go on license fee strike at least
they upset us by wiping early 70s pans

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

BeautifulBabs wrote
so are we striking out the dotd votes for disco connection also with 3 dancers ?
Well spotted BB. Over to you Vin

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

VintageVideos
No. That was a completely different situation as Pan's People only consisted of four dancers at the time when 'Disco Connection' was performed. So there was only one dancer missing in the line-up.
The rule is easy: Routines will only be eligible for DotD if no more than one dancer from the regular line-up at the time of the performance is missing.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

PattiforPM
Game Set Match.  Thanks for the clarification Vin

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Yes thanks vin but I still think lee may have been on a second week's sick leave for disco connection  ( caught infection in the jungle)even though she had danced her last. I just find hard to accept that Pans were ever down to 4 permies even at the end.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Suefan
Lee had already firmly packed her tent and set sail for pastures new prior to the visit to the reading emporium.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

ok thanks Suefan a safari tent I'm sure perhaps with a broken mosquito net  but I'm still voting for a dotd though if in vain on any routine with 2 or more regardless of rules....

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

PaulF
7/10, hate the strobe effect but love seeing Flick perform. Nice smiles from Dee Dee as well.
Paul

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Old Grey Whistler
I don't think I have ever seen DLT looking so young!
I'm quite glad that this clip is in back & white as I think the strobing effects would be quite painful to watch in colour.
It is nice to see Flick dancing, just a shame that so many of her performances have been lost. She would have been my dancer of the day.
It's a bit short and spoilt a little by the effects, but the girls do a good job and look to be enjoying themselves so I will score 7.5 out of 10.