BUCKET T -- 12/10/1968

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Gorgeous Daze
Can you imagine a German DJ presenting TOTP in his native tongue?  I assume that DLT got the job because the German charts were dominated by English language records and Britain was hip. Which must have helped open doors for Pan's People too.

The clip looks almost like a parody now. Flick and Dee Dee seem to be equal parts taking the Mick and having fun in their throwaway dancing to a throwaway song. But particularly as it's a performance short of duration and of skirt, the strobing through blinds effect is irritating. And it's not right for the bubblegum sound. It seems to have been a case of 'We've got some new effects and we're gonna use them!' The girls look damn hot though and all in all it's an agreeable couple of frothy minutes.

6.5/10

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

I like Flick and Dee Dee's smiles, but I can't see any from Andy...

Score: 7

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Doubleday
I like it! of course it's a bit dated, but to see the young trio strutting their stuff is fantastic. Incidentally I see Paris fashion week has been featuring skirts held up by just strips of fabric which is, er, very new and exciting except that Pan's did it forty-five years ago!

I prefer Over, Under, Sideways, Down from this era, but it's still a great piece, and the end link's worth a bit und DLT kann gut deutsch sprechen unless VV tells me otherwise . So I'll go a bundle and say 9 points

And finally ... the 'sleeve notes' are brilliant. VV please take (another) bow !!

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

VintageVideos
London/The UK were very hip in Germany at the time, that is probably why DLT got the job, and his mixture of German & English just added to his charm. Besides, he had been a DJ on Radio Caroline and thus gained popularity. Unfortunately I don't know any more details about how he got on 'Beat Club', and I was too young at the time to remember anything about it.
Watching him host the show alongside Uschi Nerke is quite a charming experience (fortunately all Beat Club episodes still exist). He always appeared as a very likeable and funny type of guy, never creepy at all.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Mikey
I wonder if they also did this routine on TOTP?. The outfits look the same as in this pic Jez posted last year. Perhaps they only had the 3 made.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

BeautifulBabs
Likes
it's survived
girls look like they are havin fun deedee and flick  at least
go go style of early pans
outfits
good quality picture for the time
Andy's hair style

but :

Only 3
Ruthless, Babsless and Louiseless- could they not afford the air fare ?
Annoying jingly track like an advert for a cheap brand of tea -
sounds like 'cup of tea' too much and tea is not sexy
don't play this often
short length
timing/sync of moves quite average

all things considered a 6.5 thanks for great intro VV and enjoyed rewatching this

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

PansLegs
Two years is a long time in the world of pop music and even longer in the rapidly changing styles of the sixties, so this track from Jan & Dean sounds positively ancient against the backdrop of 1968. We have to be thankful of these German television appearances and that those TV companies actually valued their recordings and kept the tapes in their archive.

The small stage and camera set-up meant our three dancers had to stay relatively on the spot, creating motion with wild arm and leg movements, still very much in the go-go style era of early Pans with outfits to match.

This serves as a good approximation to the look and feel of the sadly long lost (as far as we know) early appearances on Top of The Pops the same year and therefore is an important record (Flick had of course changed to a blonde by this point). It's an all too brief opening to an episode of Beat Club although the track outstays its welcome well before the end of the sequence but because the visual is so different to what came later on I will rate this relatively highly.  8/10, Dotd Flick for some interesting facial expressions.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

VintageVideos
Thank you PansLegs for revisiting this thread. Just a gentle reminder that, even though you may name your favourite dancer in any of the featured routines, Dancer of the Day is only active for routines in which no more than one member of the line-up is missing. For that reason, Bucket T doesn't qualify for a DotD nomination.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: BUCKET T -- 1968

Doc
The song is one that you wouldn't be bothered if you never heard it again. A fairly basic routine but this clip is far more important for it's historical value and thanks to a much more enlightened archiving policy in Germany we still have it. 7/10.
The close up of Flick reminds me of Mary some 7 years later.

Still living in 1979

Re: BUCKET T -- 12/10/1968

  A fun packed short routine to a nonsensical song- and we are very lucky to still have it to view. The three girls look like they are having a lot of fun, and look very good in their costumes. And our first opportunity to see Pan's in boots- obviously something we would see a lot more often in the forthcoming years!
  The special effects are interesting but may be off-putting for some. The strobe lighting creating an eye catching silhouette of the girls.
   It is simple but effective routine and I sense an early outing for some of Flick's trademark moves,  to which we will become accustomed in later dances.
  The routine I will award a 7/10 as it is appealing without being over special, and for Dancer of the Day I find it difficult to choose between Flick and Dee Dee, big smiles all round, but I find my eyes are drawn to Flick most of the time on this, so it has to be Flick on this occasion.

  Edit- I see that DOTD nominations are not accepted for this, more than one member missing, and not scored now anyway. But I will still like to award them for my own benefit for all routines from here on.

Re: BUCKET T -- 12/10/1968

Well, this is the first time that I have watched this routine properly and I like it. It is another great appearance from Pan's People from the 1960s, though it is a shame that we only have half of the dancers in this. A good extra to this performance is the appearance of DLT which is always good to see, especially many years before TOTP.
If I could pick a favourite from this performance it would be Andrea.

Rating: 8/10
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.
Mel

Re: BUCKET T -- 12/10/1968

Mel
Nice golden nugget from Beat Club.Go-Go style dancing and outfits,girls look good dancing in unison,looks tight.
I felt the strobe lighting may have been a bit over used.More camera work may have been better.
Not to keen on the music,but all in all I did enjoy it for what it was.Very lucky it exists.
M6
12