BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 20/12/1973

Buried Alive In The Blues
Performed by Janis Joplin
Original broadcast date 20/12/1973 Duration of dance - 2.26 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcrAEXeTtMM

Much has already been written about Janis Lyn Joplin, who would be 72 years old now had she not overdosed at the age of 27. Her death on October 4, 1970, came as a shock to the music world - just sixteen days after the passing of another rock icon, Jimi Hendrix, also aged 27. Janis Joplin and her band had been in the process of recording a new album at that time, an album that would be posthumously released in 1971 under the title "Pearl". It became the biggest selling album of her career.

Even though the album wasn't yet finished when Joplin deceased, she had already recorded all the vocals for "Pearl" - except for one track, the almost prophetically titled "Buried Alive In The Blues", to which she had been scheduled to add her vocals on the day she was found dead. For that reason it was decided to include the unfinished instrumental on the album as the closing track of side one.

Fast forward to December, 20, 1973. After taking a break on the sixth episode, Pan's People were invited again to guest in the seventh episode of the third season of the "Two Ronnies". The music chosen for the dance: "Buried Alive In The Blues", the instrumental track from the album "Pearl" as performed by Janis Joplin's backing band, the Full Tilt Boogie Band. I find this a rather odd choice of music for a routine on a comedy series, even in 1973, but then we have quite a number of odd choices of music on the "Two Ronnies".

Indifferent may be the word to best describe my feelings for this performance. It isn't bad - the routine looks well-rehearsed so the dancing is fine, the girls seem to enjoy themselves and we get a number of standard "Flick moves". But in my opinion this routine lacks something. It simply doesn't thrill me. Maybe it's too standard with too little variation. Maybe it's too serious. Maybe there are too few close-ups. Maybe it's the music. It's just a clip that I never play, and I'm afraid that won't change even after I watched it again while I was preparing this introduction.

Of all the seven routines from the "Two Ronnies", this is the last to be featured on the Pan's People comments thread. The "Two Ronnies" were certainly a different experience for Pan's People, a possibilty to demonstrate their skills outside of the restraints of the TOTP studio. But the results were mixed: a couple of excellent routines, but also a number of uninspiring performances. "Buried Alive In The Blues", unfortunately, belongs to the latter category.

7 / 10

DotD: I really haven't got a clue who to pick, so I will name a dancer that I rarely choose, videlicet Dee Dee

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

Paperboyplod
I'd have no idea what the ladies are meant to be doing in the form of mime, If I had to guess what they may be doing, there's some strange pulling movements with their arms early doors during the dance routine, but of course it's from The Two Ronnies, so I'd expect something a tad wacky, that fits in with the comedic nature of that programme.
I do like the matching outfits, the colours are a really great combination, & also suit the stage set.

7/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

I'm not indifferent to this routine but having said that it doesn't get much play time.  That's entirely down to the music which isn't up to much, but I do like those costumes so a 6.5 with Louise my Dotd.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

mojo2007
agreed not their finest hour but still worth an 8 , a lot better than the ex-Beatle number on the same series. Ruth really does hide her lovely face too much so I will pick Babs for this number

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

I too think this a little mediocre fare from the great Pans People.  Despite some good moves and quite eye-catching garb, especially those blingful waistcoats,  this Dance doesn't quite make the grade and I agree it's the music's responsibility for the most part.  I do like the Little Bit of Love finish though.  For me it's 6.5/10 and DotD is a lottery won by Cherry

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

PansLegs
Let me first say that Pans look rather splendid in their purple and spangly cropped turquoise tops complete with chain! However, despite some decent moves and good close-up shots passing along the line, the end result is underwhelming.

Although the type of backing here may have limited things to a degree, the aforementioned good moves are repeated too often and then in between the repetitive arm movements also outstay their welcome. I feel if all the separate movements had been performed singularly the whole routine would have lasted about 30 seconds. There's rather too much punching the air which comes across as stilted and to a degree there is a feeling that stock moves have been slotted in one after the other. Despite drifting around the stage the single camera doesn't help in terms of pacing so a mediocre 5.5. Dee Dee seems the most focussed so DotD.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

I quite like the Ronnies routines and this is another which makes for pleasant viewing. I like the 1960s feel to the song and routine. Im also very partial to watching the dancers adorned in those sexy tight in all the right places trousers.

`Louise` grabs my attention from the off and she is my choice for DOTD.

Rating is `8.5 out of 10`.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
Sorry to learn why this was an instrumental but I do prefer to be spared a Marlboros & Jack Daniels throat - which this extracurricular stint guarantees anyway. I like the outfits (as far as flares go!) though the uniformity is overall a minus feature of The Two Ronnies. A vibrant mix would have helped counteract the sub TOTP music. One can see enough classic moves, it's the unorthodox stuff like the rooted slow motion rocking and the languid gunslinging that I find most interesting here. Imagine those partners walkin' into town!

DOTD Louise.  8/10 even with the music.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

Mikey
A gold star then to Mr Barker and Mr Corbett for inviting Pans on the show and giving us these excellent 'interludes'. Quite how they never gatecrashed at least one performance i dont know, more fool them. Well this not the best of the bunch but it has its moments, i like the use of the single camera here as it moves side to side, up and down taking the viewer on a ride into the dance. The purple trousers are a big 'yes', and those fist pumping dance moves are stangely alluring as is that slo mo rocking at about 1.30. Ruth and Louise have that hair over the face look i like so much, but i'll pick 'purple' Cherry as DOTD. 7.5/10 for the dance.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 1973

Old Grey Whistler
This is a good routine and I do like the costumes but it just lacks a bit of a wow factor. Maybe Messrs Barker and Corbett didn't want anything too spectacular overshadowing them on their own programme. Everyone seems to be well synchronised. I do wonder sometimes, when their hair gets over their eyes, as to how distracting that was for them. Louise seems to capture my eye the most so gets DOTD and I'll give it 7.5 out of 10.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 20/12/1973

pans were certainly busy in 1973, with the Two Ronnies as not exception, but I can't quite get into this at all, lovely outfits, but it's just a filler for the score, and not on par with the other clips from the series.

Scores: 5/10
DOTD: Louise

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 20/12/1973

Doc
Unfortunately most of the Two Ronnies performances tend to leave me a bit cold. I think with this one the music is just a bit annoying, which is not a great start and the dance lacks anything memorable. 7/10.
Dotd: could be anyone but Cherry caught my eye just like she used to before Sue joined up.

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 20/12/1973

Another uninspired routine.5/10
DotD:Louise

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 20/12/1973

CoffeeThing
I like these Rons routines, I like the Rons, and these bring back memories. Quite enjoyed this, a bit of energy and nice outfits. 7.5/10 and a close one for DOTD as Cherry really went for it and looked great, but it's beautiful Babs who really stood out

Re: BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLUES -- 20/12/1973

Everything'sRosie
Hmm, don't know what to make of this one. It's not that it's bad, and the girls do put some energy into it, it just that it refuses to come to life. It's about as interesting as cardboard. The music doesn't help of course, and what it would have sounded like with the Joplin vocal we can only speculate on, but without it, it just comes across to me as a directionless drone. Which makes it a very weird choice to choreograph a dance too.

Just a 5/10 from me.
DotD: Like a penalty taker short on confidence I went straight down the middle and went for Louise
Queens of My Soul