Babs' Childhood Home

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Hanway2
  Thanks for the interesting photographs of the Victoria Club, Michael. And the background connection to Babs.
Also, I see another interesting looking pub, the Rockwood, which fortunately seems to have survived, among the other outlets you mention- even if the wall sign with the pub name has been moved over the years.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Thanks for the photos and info Michael. Amazing how diminished the Victoria Club looks in its modern context. Sorry but not surprised to learn of the way your home town has gone. It's a similar story in the majority of places I visit nowadays.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Everything'sRosie
Very true. The Victoria club was so much prouder as a stand alone building, now it just looks like part of an ordinary street and barely distinguishable from the hairdressers and the inevitable bookies.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Michael
What in interesting piece of history. I was aware that Babs had modelled for a children's publication in the early Sixties, but have never seen a copy. Yes, I would also be very curious to see the article. I wonder the photos featured were of Babs' home in Wendover?

Best wishes,

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Mikey
I'll see what i can do Michael.

Also i'm no historical expert but the clothes in that B&W pic look early 20th century to me, at least pre 1940, and the house on the left had been demolished at a later date to fit in with the other building maybe 1950s.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Michael
This post was updated on .
Thank you! It will indeed be interesting if a copy of the photo story can be found.

Well spotted: The sepia photo, which I half-inched from the Francis Frith website, dates from (if I remember correctly) Edwardian times.

The building to the of the left of the Victoria Club in the up-to-date photo (judging by its architecture, and that of the other buildings in the same block) were constructed, I think, in the early Sixties.

I'll have a look at some other photos of the area and see if a more precise time can be pinned down; it will be interesting to know exactly how Kingsbury Square looked at the time Mary Lord was offering dance lessons in the Victoria Club.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Mikey
Bad news Michael, i made an enquiry about the book and Babs does not appear except for the cover, its mostly comic strips apparently.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Michael
Thank you very much for following this up, Mikey. What a shame it doesn’t include photos of Babs and her family in their lovely little cottage, or enjoying a drink at The Packhorse.

I’m sure I spotted a photo of Babs, playing records (or something similar) in what was described as her bedroom. If I can track it down again, I’ll compare to what I know of the property’s layout.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Mikey
Michael, are you referring to the pic of Babs holding a guitar?, its on page 2 of the 'Babs' pictures.

Re: Babs' Childhood Home

Michael
Yes, that's the one! I've just found it myself.

Sadly, the photo doesn't show Babs in the bedroom of the Wendover cottage.

When I get a chance, I'm going to browse the local newspaper's library to see if there are any articles about Babs and/or her mum.

Have a relaxing Sunday evening.