Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

Young Mister Grace

Up until now, I've always turned down the many kind offers to help out with the website financially. I've always thought that bringing cash into the situation, however freely given, would be in danger of altering the friendly atmosphere of the site and of this forum.

However, I now face a tiny financial crisis: with my bank account currently overdrawn, I can't make an online payment for the overdue server bill to bring the site back to life. And since it's the weekend, I can't get to a bank to put cash in to cover the overdraft.

This means the site will be down at least until Monday 2nd June, possibly longer.

I can make a paypal payment to the server company to cover the server payment, but I'll need funds in my paypal account, and I can't do that via my bank.

With this in mind, I think it's time to give up my previous squeamishness about cash donations, and put out a request to regulars for donations.

I've added a paypal donation button to the bottom of this message. I've left the donation amount open so the amounts up to you, but I'd suggest a £5 donation. A few fivers would be enough to cover it

Please don't feel any emotional blackmail pressure to donate: that's the last thing I want. But if you’re feeling flush and fancy helping out, I'd be most grateful.

I'm sorry it's come to this: it's all down to my lack of organisation, I'm afraid

You've all done vey well!

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

Everything'sRosie
Hi YMG
No problem. When I get home later I'll donate. On my phone at the moment and i'd prefer to use my laptop.

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

I'm in

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

CoffeeThing
Glad to help and done. YMG, you might get charged PayPal fees on this if you haven't set it up to 'pay a friend' which us fee free. I'm not entirely sure how that's done but a quick poke around the settings should yield the info.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Thanks for all your generous donations. I've paid the server bill so we should get back to normal later today.

Cheers

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

mojo2007
tried to send YMG a message but it bounced ,
mojo

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Thanks for all the generous donations everyone. The site seems to be fully functional again.

Cheers
You've all done vey well!

Re: Begging Bowl: getting the website back up

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I thought that the generous members who contributed money to help me get the site back up earlier this month deserved a small tribute on the site itself, so I've put a "Thank You" note at the top of the site's sidebar.

I'd like to list all the donors by name in that "Thank You" note, but there are a couple of complications:

1. The PayPal donations came through credited to the donors real names: I would assume nmost if not all of you would rather be credited using your Forum identities.

2. I can make a fair stab at working out who's who based on the names I already know anmd the support messages I got further up this thread: but I'd rather not take the risk.

3. Whether it's forum handle or real name, I'd like explicit permission before I mention anyone by name anyway.

So if any or all of you are happy to get a thank you credit, can you email me and confirm your forum name? In fact even if you don't want a thank you credit, can you email me to let me know you don't?

And of course, thanks again to everyone.

You've all done vey well!