CA PLANE POUR MOI -- [June]

CA PLANE POUR MOI  Dance/performance number 105 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Plastic Bertrand  and reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   08/06/78  Duration of dance --  2.45 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.

Pauline 101     Patti 96
Rosie 98         Sue 96
Gill 97            Lulu 95
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x235arj_legs-co-ca-plane-pour-moi-totp-tx-08-06-1978_creation

   Of all the Legs performances so far on BBC4 i think this one really benefits more than most in us being able to view it in digital crystal clear quality. For years we have had to rely on the TOTPs2 clip that has done the rounds on sites like this, of course that was better than nothing, but to be able to see the little details make the difference.
   This was the second occasion Plastic B sang his song on TOTPs, but what an inspired decision to get our Dancers to accompany him this time. I really think this should have happened more often to other artists but sadly it didn't.
   Flick went down the literal route again, with bits of plastic, French Bread, well guess its a better prop than Belgium buns.
   I have to say i absolutely loved seeing this in better pic quality, and the song seemed a hundred times better with our girls dancing to it, bet they were out of breath at the end of this energetic dance. As for Plastic, he seemed very taken by our 3 blondes, Gill, Lulu & Rosie. I have a feeling he liked Gill best.
   My favourite moment in this is near the end were it appeared Pauline was tossing her French stick from hand to hand, but on closer inspection that wasn't the case.

DOTD - Gee this is difficult. Im going to give it to `Lulu` for nibbling the loaf at the beginning and it seemed she was dancing to try to impress our Belgian friend, which im sure she did.

Rating, before id seen this on BBC4 it would have been 6/7ish. Now ive seen it clearly, im going high with my rating, this rip roaring performance deserves `9.25 out of 10`

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Paperboyplod
Whatever came over Flick, when she'd decided that Plastic Bertrand would be beaten by French baguettes by Legs & Co., when in actual fact he would've had a Belgian passport, although I'm struggling to think of something Belgian that the ladies could've used to bash him with instead, & make it look like an authentic scene.
I have to say though that PB, does well not to get too distracted by the girls, as he carries on belting out those francophonic lyrics.
There's  not much else to add really to this post, as this routine is basically another of those where the dancers are just there for backing purposes.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

I haven't seen the clear version yet so I have to mark this as is.  Interesting that Flick mistook (on purpose or not I can't recall) "Plane" for "Pain" in her literal translation as we've noted before.  Plastic Bert certainly seems primarily interested in Lulu and Gill to me as he's always next to one or other of them and I can't blame him although he's missing out on the three other beauties  of course.  Those leotards are back in action and my feelings about these have already been expressed elsewhere but suffice to say these ladies can wear them as often as they want as far as I'm concerned; I just miss the sixth one.  Lulu's haymakers with the loaf near the end get her my DotD narrowly over Gill and it would have been less close if she had connected.  I find this one fun and give it 7.5/10 but it does lag behind the best Dances by some margin for me.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Andeebee
Enjoyable romp from Mr Bertrand (who didn't even sing on this or any other music he did - shades of Boney M there), each time I watch this it gets better.  Lulu is top of Mr B's attentions by the looks of it.  just a nice fun romp with french sticks and plastic macs......bad lip syncing, but hey who cares.

Been giving alot of DOTD awards to Lulu of late, and she gets another one.....bet the BBC canteen wanted those baguettes back for lunchtime soup.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Doc
Dotd: Lulu stands out in this one.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

In a weekend that seems that seems very `Pans People` orientated, in order for me to enter this particular Legs & Co performance onto the ratings board it needs to have more than 4 sets of scores which its got right now. Hopefully another couple of you guys will give ratings to the thing.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Suefan
Its a fun anarchic romp but not one I watch that often so a 7 from me.  All the girls use their loaf but, from tucking in early to those hefty wallops towards the end, Lulu always springs to mind with this one so I'd like to pick her as my Bread Waitress.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

I've already had my Sunday dinner and now I want some French bread...

While the dancing is spot-on and energetic and the girls interact nicely with Bertrand, the camera work distracts from the dance and those zooms during one of the choruses are slightly dodgy.

My dancer of the day is Lulu who once again is top reveller in what is a fun performance.

My score: 7.5 - could have been higher if the camerawork was better.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

VintageVideos
Too much Plastic in this performance for me, and poor Bertrand seems to forget the lyrics a couple of times (no surprise when you think about it). I'm not very fond of the song to be honest, but it is an achievement to compose a hit record with just a single note!
The girls are great and seem to have a lot of fun, but my fun is a bit spoilt by the central presence of the singer from the country of pommes frites (which would have been the correct food accessoire), so just a 7.5 from me.

DotD: Lulu

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
A relentlessly brisk routine for a relentlessly brisk song. I do recall that if nothing else it made a great soundtrack for a go on the fairground dodgems back in 78. But as for the likes of the pre-romantic plastic punk -and Raffaella Carra - no wonder it was still considered ok to laugh at Johnny Foreigner. He does look well pleased to be performing with Legs & Co, but to be honest he seems like he would be the same if it was The Smurfs. I also wonder if plane was mistaken for pain or whether the bread sticks are a coincidental generic French motif. Whichever I think they're there owning to the langauge the song is in rather than a misidentification of PB's nationality. Needless to say the girls are pleasing to behold in their leotards and frills. The routine is pretty much a constant stick-tease, and then the fast cuts near the end work well in heightening the effect of a well-desereved pain attack on this phoney.

DOTD Lulu returns from injury to cosh the opposition. Necessarily too much PB so 6.5/10.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Well this is a notable effort from all participants. Very decent of Roger (his name isn’t really Plastic) to try and lend a hand by standing in for Patti. This a nice diversion from the disco classics that we have been treated to recently and I think it worked very well. 9/10. Dotd Lulu for defending Britain’s interests in the Common Agricultural Policy.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Old Bill
I find the combination of someone who looks like Paul Nicholas's little brother, dressed in one of Terry McCann's best suits jumping around a la Johnny Rotten to some finely polished soft-punk all rather odd. Rather than spitting at the audience he looks like he rather share a glass of champagne with them (I wonder if he ever met Sailor...?)

In his first performance he did indeed look mighty lonesome on the stage, so the addition to our belles is welcome, although it would have been nicer if they'd done away him all together. He seems to think he's the star!! :-O
It is nice that he has a bit of a boogie with the girls, but then what single young Belgian chap wouldn't?! It's too bad though that during the guitar solo when we might have seen more girls the director, possibly under Flick's direction, gets all punky with the very fast cuts from camera to camera. Quite distracting.

Anyways, this dance doesn't do much for me. All bit fast & frenetic, and a bit darkly lit. The baguettes are a humourous touch - I wonder if Flick chose them just as a typically French [sic] prop or if she did indeed read 'plane' as 'pain'? I can understand the choice of bread though, I've tried with frittes and mayo after some Lambic beer and it got messy.

But Andee - I think the BBC Canteen still has the baguettes, judging from the last time I had one.

Just a 6/10 from me. And Lulu for DotD.

And for the mono-liguists amongst us, here's Plastic's musings in glorious English. "The King of Divan" by all accounts!

Wham! Bam! my cat Splash
lies on my bed with his tongue puffed out
by drinking all my whisky.
As for me, not enough sleep, drained, persecuted,
I had to sleep in the gutter where I had a flash
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo! in four colours

Allez-oop! One morning
a darling came to my home,
a cellophane puppet with Chinese hair,
a  plaster, a hangover, drank my beer in a large rubber glass
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo!like an Indian in his igloo

This works for me, this works for me
This works for me me me me me
This work for me
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo! This works for me

Allez-oop! The chick, what a gas!
What a vibration! To be sent on the door mat
filed, ruined, drained, filled
You are the King of the divan she says to me in passing
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo! I am the King of the divan

This works for me, this works for me
This works for me me me me me This works for me
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo! This works for me

Allez-oop! Don't mind, don't worry
Don't affect me It’s not today
that the sky will fall on my head and I'll be without glue
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo! This life’s  for me

Allez-oop! my chick has gone away,
flew away, finally had enough, to break
the sink, the bar, leaving me alone like a complete jerk
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo! I've put my foot in it

This works for me, this works for me
This works for me me me me me This works for me
Oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo!
This works for me This workss for me, this works for me
This works for me me me me me

Jeremiah 31:13
LNV

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

LNV
“What's this doing here I hear you say! Because its magnificent. Ca Plane Pour Moi (Sire Records 1977) is as punk as they come and was a massive hit all over Europe reaching #8 in our charts. I still remember Pans People dancing to it like it was yesterday.”
http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/plasticbertrand.htm

There they are again...getting a name check as the folk memory of Pans People reverberates down the years, even if as here mistakenly so, but what an imperishable brand name it has been! Poor Legs & Co their greater dedication to their craft as Flick mentioned once in an interview, is so easily forgotten and confused with what must be the best remembered all-girl tv dance group ever.

Maybe it is the leotards that Legs & Co are wearing that brings to that particular viewer’s  mind the hazy image of Pans’. Well, in watching the dance all I can say is what a backhanded praise that is for them.  Lulu is at one of her career peak’s of being an irresistible nymphet. Is anyone else dancing here? I don’t know what it was like back in the day for the Girls  in having to deal with their celebrity or who got the most attention, but I would be surprised if Lulu didn’t attract a great deal  of male interest.  The camera doesn’t allow us to see anyone else clearly but Lulu, most of the time the other dancers’ backs are turned to us.

7/10 Damn this is hard to score. The other members of Legs don’t get a look in. Lulu is a sexy chick so not too low a marking but not much dancing really is there or supposed to be as it’s “Punk” with make up your own rules, there are no rules...pogo-ing thingy.

DotD: Lulu proves she doesn’t loaf about as the undoubted highlight of the performance is her beating the Belgian with her baguette.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
Always liked this song for some reason, would never have guessed it was from 1978...thought it was early 80's.
Getting the girls to join in really makes it more enjoyable. Found it hard to pick out Gill for most of the performance which was frustrating, but Lulu's performance really takes some beating. Great fun.  7.5/10

DOTD...Lulu...superb!!!
Stu

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Stu
I really can't stand Patrick Kielty! I know it's not him, but that's what I see, and I don't like it! Anyway it shouldn't take any of the shine off a pretty fine performance, especially from the flirtatious Lulu.  Good stuff! Although my marks are probably slightly lower due to an irrational dislike for a look-a-likey!  :-)

7.75/10

DOTD - Lulu

Stuey

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

AC/PD
Shame Plastic never got to perform duet with the X-Ray Spex lead singer Poly Styrene.
Mention has been made about French sticks being used as the prop of choice in the presence of a Belgian...can you imagine how long dainty chocolate would have lasted under those studio lights?
A hopping energetic free-for-all dance routine in this one, with the energy created, slightly victorious over the unfortunate literally angled camera shots.
Wouldn't mind my chances of facing off against Pauline in a baguette duel, but the clear chemistry between Monsieur Bertrand et Madame Cartwright...elle est la champ pour la Danceur du Jour.
7/10
DOTD: Lulu

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

We have a routine were the ladies are dancing with the artist. With this one we have Plastic Bertrand sing a happy song. Were our ladies dance around him. Wearing different coloured  leotards and holding french bread sticks.

So for the Dotd this must go to Lulu, because you see her more.

So the score must be 7.75 out of 10.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

bucksby
I think the girls' presence is justified here, cheesy song with cheesy routine and it works. Plastic Bertrand to his credit does seem to apreciate the girls' appearance A 9 for me. DOTD is hard (tempted to give it to Bertand lol) but Lulu gets it for me.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
So we have Legs & Co dancing around the stage waving baguettes around, accompanied by a Patrick Kielty lookalike. This is one of the more surreal moments of 1978.  It's all good fun but it is not really what I am looking for from Legs & Co, so just 7 out of 10.
For her dexterity with her loaf, Lulu gets DOTD.

Re: CA PLANE POUR MOI -- 1978

A very strange one but fun.Their first punk routine is suitably energetic and full of visual humour.A favourite bit is when Lulu wheels her loaf around as if to whack our Belgian chum over the head.8/10.
DotD:Lulu