Quantcast

CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE

Welcome to the Ruby Flipper Comments Thread and I P4PM am pleased to act as your host.  Most, if not all, of you have contributed to Ryan's Legs & Co Comments and more recently to Vin's Pans People Comments Threads and I hope you'll do the same here.  Feel free to comment on the Dancing and Music and anything else pertaining to the performance and all opinions are welcome.  Please mark the performance out of 10 if possible and designate a Dancer of the Day if you feel you can.  In advance I ask for your forgiveness if I stray into irreverance or irrelevance as always.

                         CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE - Stylistics      May 6th 1976

                                  Dancers:  Cherry, Sue, Patti, Lulu, Gavin, Phil, Floyd

 LINK: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bs63_ruby-flipper-can-t-help-falling-in-love-totp-tx-06-05-1976_creation

   I'm starting at the beginning with Noel Edmonds introducing Ruby Flipper dancing to this Elvis Classic from Blue Hawaii (1961) with life breathed back into it by the high falsetto of Russell Thompkins Jr.  The Stylistics' music was fertile ground for Pans People dances and this abundance continues here with what I take to be a well thought out first appearance for this mixed gender Troupe.  One wonders if Flick was concerned about how it would be received but it is an endearing start with Sue and Cherry wondering where Ruth and Mary went before the new and skilled "fools" rush in to join them.  Lulu and Floyd look very young indeed whereas Patti and Phil seem to ooze experience to me.  Gavin is already showing his gymnastic versatility.  It is all fun and well done I believe and I'm going to award 8/10 and give Lulu the DotD for looking quite edible while being obviously a little nervous.  Special mention for Floyd, who on his first appearance on TOTP as a teen briefly dances with Cherry and bumps bottoms with Sue; personally I would have retired at the apex of a career right there!  I await your comments with interest and don't worry the Thread starters won't all be this long! (oh and BTW this was Patti's first TOTP -wow!!!)

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

PattiForPM
Note to self: Inexperienced Host has to highlight own Thread today as created it by editing instead of new build; Nitwit!

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

    Aah the start of an interesting 5 & half months in TOTPs dancing with our `In-betweenies` and what a start too. Again Flick was bang on the money with her choreography, Cherry & Sue looking all confused and then the newbies come `Rushing In`. Also the routine was as gentle as you can get, nothing intricate, just gentle rhythmic moves, not to taxing.
    Yes young Lulu looked nervous for a split second, a shame the camera caught that, but she hid her nerves quite well. Lets not forget that Floid & Gavin were making TV debuts too, Patti & Phil had been around TV cameras before.
     I wonder if the dancers in this thought they, ie Ruby Flipper were going to be in it for the long haul, or were there mumblings even at this stage to the fact that Flick was using males dancers in her dance troupe. As much as i enjoyed RF, they never made a bad routine, even the Duck raises a smile, i have to confess that the real business of TOTPs dancing begin in earnest again in October of this year.
    This is a bright, colourful start to their tenure on the show and with lots of decent routines to come, i guess i ought to be guarded with my ratings. But i enjoy watching the thing so it 9.25 out of 10 for me.
    Dancer of the day, well its got to be one of the newbies. I will go left-field in my selection and award it to the athletic looking Gavin for showing of his gymnastic skills. I cant believe ive just voted for a geezer, but i fear the poor man may have ended up on zero points.

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

A competent start for the new boys and girls and a nice touch from Flick, well played by Cherry and Sue, in the way they are introduced.  However, the rather random raid on the dressing up box together with an average tune brings down my score a little to a 7.

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Andeebee
I think this was just basically a 'Hello' we are are the new kids in town, on this routine, saying we are not 'Pans People', yes interesting start to a strange 5 months, would of liked to of seen how far this troupe would of gone before the Beeb pulled the plug on RF.

7.5

Dancer: the gorgeous Sue

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

PattiForPM
Thanks for the Comments guys.  This does seem a popular performance with a range of favoured Dancers.  Perhaps reflects the wisdom of Flick in not allowing any of her new Dance Troupe to dominate the first time around.  If there are more opinions, as I hope, I'll start a league table and DotD table like my colleagues...

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Paperboyplod
A rather ingenious opening to this first ever Ruby Flipper routine, on stage walks the two dancers from Pan's People, making ordinary viewers believe that it's a PP duet, only for there to be a twist a few seconds later, when five completely new dancers to come along, & at that point you know that there's been some major changes made, should you have missed Noel Edmonds' & what's all this, male dancers?
The actual performance then, & every dancer is dressed differently, far more interesting at leat than, the minimal set, about the most interesting thing being the strings of coloured light bulbs.
There's a lot going on in terms of the actual dancing, everybody seems to be doing different things, & Floid's clearly making his presence felt, quite a shock to the system for all of those more used to the previous more orderly PP routines.

7/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

JEZ
as the old regulars will know by now that when pans had left ,ruby flipper never really did get the excitement from me like it did whilst watching pans people had done before ,if i missed editions of totp during the summer of 76 ,i wasnt really that bothered ,i still watched the show ,and i remember various performances from the dancers at the time ,but i was so glad when they brought back in the all girls troupe in late 76,now in recent years when i viewed the dances again ,ive really enjoyed the routines ,but back in 76, i would have preferred the dance troupe to be all girls ,i think probably at that time ,any musical entertainment variety show that was on ,always featured mixed group of male and female dancers ,and i cant really remember any other tv programme from that period in time ,that had their own set of just female dancers on a show ,so totp with pans people were unique at that point of time in history ,i always associated mixed dance troupes with the likes of ,the young genertaion ,second generation ,new edition etc ,now thats not to say that they werent good dancers in their own rights ,but it was just on every variety show available at the time ,anyway back to the point ,an excellent song and routine to start the birth of ruby flipper ,infact its one of my favourites dances of the group,so ill give it a 9 ,thank you mr p

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

I reckon Ruth and Flick handled the sudden switch from PP to RF correctly with a routine that is simple and not in-your-face, yet still fun and inclusive.

We get adequate introductions to Phil, Lulu, Floid, Patti and Gavin; even with early signs of individual "characteristics" shining through (yes, that includes a certain Lulu and Floid trick, mouthing the words) without detracting from Cherry and Sue's state of incumbency.  Miss Menhenick and Miss Gillespie's opening sequence is playful in marking that "passing the baton" moment - but the show goes on, and it's clear the septet have been carefully put together to complement each other's talents and traits.

My Dancer of the Day honour goes to Lulu. Yes, her nerves are palpable to the point of being obvious near the end, but that first close-up and its accompanying shimmy are instantly charming and immediately vindicate why she's been picked as part of the new team.  To be honest, everyone deserves kudos for what must have been a critical moment for the careers of Ruby Flipper.

My score: 8

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

VintageVideos
This was quite a humorous start for RF I think, if you pay attention to the lyrics, it starts with the two familiar faces and "Falling in love... with you"... and who wouldn't? Then it's "Wise men say.... only fools rush in" and just after "fools" the rest of the troupe "rushes in".
A fun routine no doubt, and though I am not exactly enthusiastic about the disco treatment of this classic, I will award it 8.5 /10.
As Dancer of the Day I've chosen Floid, who is giving his all in this routine.

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

PattiForPM
Thanks once again for your assessment chaps.  Looks as if young Lulu is sneaking into the lead for DotD and I'll get the Average Marks and Dancer of the Day tables going soon.  Anyone else want to welcome the new Dance Troupe of 1976 to the stage?

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

I think I was still in denial that Pans had gone at this point and I was generally struggling with the unique outfits for each dancer blokes being in it and being allowed make contact with the girls.
Nothing outstanding in this one for me a 7 and Cherry dancer of the day

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Old Bill
Thanks for the welcome from our genial new host P4PM!

And the perfect and logical place to start. Were people expecting Pan's People not to be on this week, or would this have been a complete surprise for viewers? I'm sure though that everyone concerned that the boy & girl troupe was going to be a permanent fixture. Something for the mums too, as it were. Nothing against RF but I am a little glad it didn't turn out as such.

I love the opening, a really nice way for our two lovely familiar faces to ease us in gently to a new era and to some new friends.

My eyes always light up when I see Lulu, and she does a bit nervous I suppose... but who can be sure? She's still beaming away, singing for and giving me the look I like straight to the camera! Her dancing is pretty much bang on too. If Patti if nervous she doesn't look it  for a moment, she already looks like an old-hand.

I like everyone's outfits, even the fellas. But I'm sorry Floid - leave the singing to Lulu?!

I think is a great dance, lots of movement both as a team and individually. 7.5/10 from me.

The DotD was tricky. And I'm still not sure.... whenever I'm looking at Lulu it's Lulu. But then Sue catches my eye - and it's Sue. Lulu is so fresh-faced but already working to the camera as we love her for - despite the odd wobble. But Sue here looks every inch the old dancing master. Or should the be mistress?? The goddess. After probably more thought than any other dance I think, Sue just pips Lulu today though. Only just - if I rewatch it I might change my mind!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Interesting point you make Old Bill about were viewers expecting Pans this week. There certainly was no clue from Tony B the previous week. I guess these things were announced in the Radio Times, but to be honest i cant remember.

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Old Bill
Could be worth trying to have a look in the RT - just to cure a little curiousity.

And also just see perhaps the only time Peter Cooke and Jimmy Hill have been spotted enjoying each other's company!

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

PattiForPM
Nice RT cover OB, although Mr Cooke's choice in hats a little questionable unless driving Miss Daisy or dancing on Lena's Music.  Anyway it would be interesting to recall whether RF were announced much in advance although I seem to remember someone saying that Flick may have had her own plans without too much backroom interference/notice at the Beeb.  Anyway thanks again to all those who have voted and I'm particularly grateful that 10 people have contributed as this benefits the Maths involved.  Just kidding of course as I'd really love any more opinions and marks.  Time to start the Averages and DotD Threads now methinks.

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

SuPaLu
It's not a favourite dance but it's OK.It was a good device of Flick's to have Sue and Cherry stand and wonder where everyone else is before the rest come on stage.You can see a little stiffness and nerves which is to be expected,but by and large i think they hit the ground running.I wonder what Phil says to Patti at 1.46.I think he says 'wow' at being on TV in front of millions,and being the successors to Pan's People.Must have been a very proud moment for them all.I'll give it 6/10.
Star - Floyd.

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Who's That Hurll
I like the intro to this routine, with the two Head Girls directing the unruly trafiic that sweeps onto the screen.
I can only imagine the shock and disappointment of the Pans brigade when a trio of male homosapiens came into view.
I agree with Jez that the mixed troupes are better suited to the variety shows and the theatre, and the return of the all girl troupe later in the year was the right decision.
Although Ruby Flipper never hit the heights of their predecessors or successors, I am going to be bold and say this introduction was more interesting in it's conception, than the Queen of my Soul/ Legs and Co one.
7.5/10. Dancer of the day to Gavin for his (Ruby) flip.
WTH

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

PattiForPM
Thanks Mr Hurll and SuPaLu, your attention is much appreciated.  I'm sure some of the male viewers did "lay an egg" seeing the male dancers appear but hopefully some were won over and Heaven knows there was still plenty of scrumptious female dancing skill on view too as I'll endeavour to illustrate over the next few months!

Re: Can't Help Falling in Love

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Dancer of the day, Sue making it all look so easy. 8/10