CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

CAN YOU FEEL IT - TOTP
Original Broadcast Date:  25/12/1981
Troupe: Zoo
Dancers: Sharon, Tony, Julie, Wesley, Adam, Erica, Eddie, Jeannie, the other Julie, Radford, Anita, Chris
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fj46KxBUdM

Can you feel it... can you feel it... CAN YOU FEEL IT? said Ben the chiropractor as he pressed firmly into my back.  I was seeing him following an unfortunate incident at the disco. I blame it on the boogie.
The Miscellaneous Comments Section is back for a new season and we start with a dance requested many moons ago by AC/PD. In fact it was so long ago that I think he was only AC at the time. It also ties in neatly with the 38th anniversary of its broadcast.
Can you feel it peaked at number 6 in the UK charts in April 1981. It featured on The Jacksons album Triumph, an album which would supply the music to three separate dance routines.
I feel that Legs and Co’s routine to CYFI is a little underrated. It sits at No.15 in the 1981 ratings and at 84 in the top 100. It was perhaps somewhat overshadowed by some of the other dances performed around that time.
By the time of the TOTP Xmas show, 'Legs' had been sadly jettisoned from the programme but Zoo were on hand to perform what was really a very different sort of dance. In fact other than the music and the fact that both were presented by Simon Bates, there is little in common between these two versions.

Gone are the freeze frames which in my opinion were the main negative aspect of the earlier dance.
The lighting on this later performance is intentionally dingy so as to reproduce a club feel. The costumes have changed quite drastically from the rather flamboyant frilly outfits that Legs and Co wore, to the somewhat more typical disco wear for Zoo. It could be argued that the choreography which Zoo are performing to is more suited to the song but equally it feels perhaps a bit more frenetic.  The first version had a touch of class about it, more so than this one.
At times I think the camera gets a bit too close to Zoo for us to really get a good view.
The two dancers that stand out the most to me are Anita, and Julie Brown and if I was nominating a dancer of the day it would be one of those two. Having said that, the other dancers also have their moments and do a more than capable job.

Scoring these dances can be a tricky business so let me show you... let me show you the way to go.
I think it is quite watchable and definitely one of Zoo’s better dances. I think I marginally prefer the Legs & Co dance but there isn’t much in it so I will score it 8.75 out of 10 which is just 0.25 short of the score that I gave to 'Legs'. If you could combine the best elements of both dances then you would have a really great routine. As it is they both fall just short of greatness.
When I first set up this section a wise woman advised me to “aim for 10 ratings and don’t stop till you get enough”. Sadly she’s out of my life now.
So it's over to you guys (and gals) and if you haven't yet rated the Legs and Co version then this is the perfect time to do that as well, the link below will take you to the relevant page.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/CAN-YOU-FEEL-IT-April-td4115712.html

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

Good to see this section back. For various reasons a lot of Legs fans pour scorn on Zoo and i guess its mainly because they are the next cab on the rank when it comes to resident dance troupes on the show. I don't mind them that much and i can count at least two of their offerings to be in my all time favs. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.

I agree with OGW about Anita and Julie being the stand-outs, and to be honest i find myself peering through the pinky-red picture quality solely looking out for them. But there is just to much going on in the routine for my liking, quite simply there are to many dancers are taking part in this. Shame really because its a great tune to dance to with its distinctive beat, as the previous resident dance troupe showed.

Bit of a Xmas grinch score rating im sorry to say, `7.25 out of 10`.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

OGW, i should have added a "good luck with trying to get 10 sets of score ratings" for this. Think you may need it .

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

Thanks for the resurrection OGW.  Ahh the Zoo conundrum...excellent dancing, a stirring tune and fine costumes but...    The red hue is a bit irritating and it is way too busy in some sections.   Anita has a really good outing as noted above, although the camera pans away from her just as she is about to do one of my favourite hands behind the head moves, darn it.   Julie of Colour also dances well but aren't there some sections where she loses her compact or something late in the Dance?  Sorry I'm not always good at IDing Zoo dancers.  Julie ?Tight Fit poses one tribute to Legs & Co move near the end if I am not mistaken too.  Anyway enough of my ramblings, I gave the wonderful New Romantic Legs Drama 10/10 but this is not as impressive to me although enjoyable.  I offer up 7.5/10

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

PattiforPM wrote
 Sorry I'm not always good at IDing Zoo dancers.  Julie ?
Julie Brown is wearing white, whilst the other Julie is in red. In other words the really talented dancer named Julie is wearing white.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

First of all thanks to OGW for kind of resurrecting this thread. I think I should support him for that so here goes:
Let me start by saying that apart from Anita I have no idea who's who. Sometimes there are dancers appearing in the foreground and I wonder do they actually belong to Zoo or are they just audience members? I think that's part of my trouble with Zoo - I can't really relate to any of them. And the cameramen seem to have similar problems: there is so much happening that they can't show it all so the whole routine appears somewhat disjointed.
Yes, there is a spark of fine action here and there. However, unlike the best of Pan's People, Ruby Flipper or Legs & Co., there is no progression and no climax. You get a couple of good or maybe even spectacular moves but they are over before you know it. And the next moment the camera is already focussing on somebody else (who may or may not belong to Zoo...).
How to rate such a "spectacle"? Well, my ratings have always been grounded primarily on the extent of my enjoyment, and I will make no exception here. Did I enjoy this performance? Yes but only a bit. Will I watch it again? Probably not.

4 / 10

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

PattiforPM wrote
Julie ?Tight Fit poses one tribute to Legs & Co move near the end if I am not mistaken too.
Excellent spot P4PM

It’s the Freestyle nature of Zoo’s dance sequences that for me is a bit hard. It starts off very nicely with everybody together, but at other times it seems everybody’s at sixes and sevens.
It’s great to see every Zoo-er and their friend has turned up as it makes the performance look busy, and you can’t fault their collective energy what with all the spins and floor dives. I’m not sure about the dance actions that go with the “hunger and strife to another child” line though, and I don’t think this is better than Legs & Co’s performance which I scored a respectable 9 points.

However, when compared with other Zoo dances this is one of their better ones, and I give this 8

Also noted TOTPs Christmas trees do not improve over time.
You only need one 'ism' in your life, and that's Luluism

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks very much for your ratings so far. If reaching 10 reviews is the summit on Everest then we have at least left base camp, albeit with oxygen running low and the Sherpa's threatening mutiny.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

Just 5 sets of reviews and score ratings for this latest offering in the Miscellaneous dances section. I do think its worth supporting OGW who hosts that section, but this routine is clearly being forgotten and overlooked buried away in the Miscellaneous list, so im moving and pinning it to the front page of the forum were hopefully it will gain another 5 sets of score ratings as ten sets is the benchmark.

All we ask guys is 2 or 3 sentences and a score rating. Hope you will oblige.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

Thanks for this.  I am one of those who never dips into the miscellaneous but have just viewed it and I had never seen it before so obviously never saw that Christmas one.  I absolutely loved the routine.  They all just enjoyed it themselves and the Kids from Fame came to mind along with the film Fame.  This in my opinion has to be one of the best performances I have ever seen of Zoo but I have not seen them all.  It was just terrific.  I love Anita in this and her outfit.  The girls look like they have been kitted out from Victoria's Secrets.  I am going to give this a whopping ten out of ten because there was energy there and lovely synchronisation.  They all enjoyed themselves.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

G-RUTH
Never rated a Zoo routine before....so here goes....
Less is more as the old saying goes, and for me there really is too much going on here. It almost has a chaotic feel about it. That being said, I did quite enjoy watching it and I am sure I will take the time to view it again at some point. It is a great song and the whole party atmosphere does suit it well. I could have done without feeling like I am watching it while stood out in a blizzard! I think I will award this 6/10. If dotd is a thing here, I don’t think I know enough about who is who to vote for that yet!

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT

Thanks Ryan, it looks as though bringing this on to the main board has already had some success. Thanks also to Dancer and G-Ruth for their ratings.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

G-RUTH wrote
 If dotd is a thing here, I don’t think I know enough about who is who to vote for that yet!
Thanks for your rating, G-Ruth and welcome to this section. I decided not to collate DOTD scores on this comments section because with different troupes involved I didn't think it would work too well, and in the case of Zoo, their dancers were rotated so often that it would have been quite meaningless.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

Old Grey Whistler
Can anyone else spare a few minutes to write a couple of sentences and leave a rating?

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

Gorgeous Daze
I dunno about Zoo, but watching routines such as this and Twilight, Circus seems more apt. Sprinkled with stardust, this performance is just the sort of thing you expect to see as part of a Christmas extravaganza, if not traditionally TOTP. The big and busy cast selection really suits the grandiose production of the record. Exuberance Is Us, shout the beautiful ones. They can feel it alright, enough to seize it and maybe a tad too much, it's like watching a party full of show-offs. But hey, I'm not quite enough of a misery to mark them down for it.

I enjoy the energy, am whoop friendly and there's a good scattering of vignettes, though in the process just as you're enjoying something the camera switches somewhere else, as of course it must when many are doing their own thing. It kind of prefigures the modern vogue for gearing entertainment towards short attention spans. I admit I'm aware here of my own attention fluctuating according with which gender is visible and how much! I doubt that I'm alone.

I approve of the Christmassy red and white dress code. Always a pleasure to watch my fave Zooster Julie Brown, displaying her prize ability and delightfully effervescent as usual. And good fortune that some of the clearest shots are of Anita, another one having a festive ball.

The dark and murky Yewtree red subtracts a little off the shine, I'm at 7.75/10

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for your rating GD.

We are only two ratings away from achieving our improbable target of ten and there are still some prolific posters who have yet to respond. One final push is all we need and perhaps a swig of gas and air and then we will be able to cut the umbilical cord on this one and move on.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

AC/PD
"It's Christmas Day, for heaven's sake." That's 'speaking clock' Simon's way of getting a time check into a pre-recorded edition and there's certainly a sense of special occasion about Zoo's performance in line(s) with December 25th by way of there being a large turnout in operation. Although Zoo were often too numerous to keep track of, in this case the grandiose occasion of a TOTP Christmas Day edition gains them a free pass in that regard.
Much approval goes towards the song selected from 1981's hits for Zoo to dance to for high energy excitement from which the dancers can absorb and expel in kind. There certainly be some extra oomph in them there 'igh kicks! The sizeable studio floor's fully utilised (it's there, so use the space) but even with numerous viewings, it's so difficult to keep track of each individual performer, even a dancer-cam or sixteen would mind monitoring a task and a half. Switching from one dancer mid-stint to another is a negative which, like food and nibbles on the big day, leaves one feeling bloated. Our favourite and familiar dancers grab the attention and fortunately there's enough of fizzy, frizzy Anita to satisfy this viewer. (I think she might be wearing a spot of make-up...) Never a frown with Julie Brown and she's another delight to watch dancing here although a problem with her beads causes her to become clearly distracted and stop dancing altogether. Lovely Anita too loses her way a little towards end, looking at her nearest colleague and regaining her rhythm just in time for the finale of a performance in which the Can You Feel It style of effects overlay add to the occasion.
8/10

Thanks for making this routine the latest choice for your lively Miscellaneous Comments section OGW and apologies for being slow to offer up an opinion.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks very much for your review, AC/PD. There is absolutely no need to apologise. You have been a good supporter of this section and I very much appreciate it as I do the support from all the others who have contributed.

Just one more rating required to hit our target. Harry and Meghan would seem to have a lot of spare time on their hands now, perhaps they would like to join in...

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

Mikey
Xmas 1981 and Simon Bates thinks we might have forgotten one of the Jacksons biggest hits already, no Simon we haven't forgotten, and take your coat off or are you not staying?

They aren't playing the rather good dayglo video, instead its TOTPs very own flash mob "Zoo" here in red and white outfits. The 1981 xmas show is miles better than those of the previous few years and the party sprit although totally fake definitely makes it a better viewing experience. Amoung the crowd of Zooers are a few well known faces including Anita before she departed to Toto Coelo (good idea Anita). Anita has also reused Lulus red outfit from the routine they did to Hands Up a few months earlier when they had a proper troupe (sob).

All in all yeah its good, there is no doubting the skill of the dancers, but too many of them means its a case of more is less and im not sure the 'starfield' effect was all that neccessary. Cracking tune though so its 7.5/10.

Re: CAN YOU FEEL IT (Zoo-Miscellaneous dance comments section)

By the way the Youtube link no longer works, and i cannot find an alternative.