Quantcast

CAR WASH -- [January]

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

See, there i am thinking i know it all, when ........

After watching this routine a gazillion times in the past, its only just this evening that ive realized they are wearing the exact same leotards that they will wear five weeks later on `Mighty Power Of Love`. (obviously washed and ironed by Flick) !

Thats whats so good about this subject, always stuff to learn, even the simple basics.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Doc
You'll be saying next that you didn't realise the Star Trek character Nomad was dismantled and the parts used in 3 further episodes.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

The Rubberband Man
I love the “Cheeky Girls” start to this routine with Sue and Gill sticking their tongues out at each other. It sets a real fun mood to the routine.

Car Wash is a terrific dance record and L&C do the song real justice here. Bopping away between the spinning brushes, you’d take your vehicle here any day to get it cleaned and valeted. Nothing better than a spin with the sponge from Sue or a shimmy with a chamois from Patti.

I think the spinning brush going kaput can be put down to Sud’s Law. It may have been Gill or Rosie who caused the breakdown when they were behind it. One of them might have bumped into the thing at the back that’s making the brushes turn or something like that. Who knows?

I wonder if putting the names on the caps was a response to requests from TOTPs viewers asking for a reminder of who the girls were?  I don’t get why Rosie and Gill don’t have their names on the caps though, as surely they would have been the two girls most blokes would want identified the most, as they were the two new girls

DOTD to Lulu for that amazing hip wiggle she does in her short solo at the back of the stage. Where did those moves come from?  Nice one girl!

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

The Rubberband Man wrote
I wonder if putting the names on the caps was a response to requests from TOTPs viewers asking for a reminder of who the girls were?  I don’t get why Rosie and Gill don’t have their names on the caps though, as surely they would have been the two girls most blokes would want identified the most, as they were the two new girls
EDIT.
Gill does indeed have her name on her cap (and i guess Rosie the same). Its almost as if her letters have fallen off though.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

The Rubberband Man
You've Cap'd that well Ryan

Having the letters on Gill's cap almost the same colour as the cap itself wasn't the best plan as it's really difficult to read. The white letters work best.
I think, after very close scrutiny I can also just make out the name on Rosie's cap as well. She has her cap pushed quite far back which makes it difficult to see.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

PattiForPM
Note how Patti's just shines

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

The letters are red on a dark hat! It says Rosemary.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Doc wrote
The letters are red on a dark hat! It says Rosemary.
Yes TOTPs staunchly wouldn't budge from the `Rosemary` moniker would they, rather than her preferred Rosie handle. By my reckoning the first time on the show she was refereed to as Rosie was when her big fan Simon Bates labeled her that before the `Off The Wall` routine in December 79, a full three years into her tenure. Though it would have been nice to check the back of her `Come On Dance Dance` tracksuit, we never got the chance to. Of course the credits didn't revert to Rosie either, though the boys in graphics did come good for Rosie on `Funkin For Jamaica`.

Can anyone come up with an earlier example of just `Rosie` ?

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Gorgeous Daze
That playground duel is a memorable - nay iconic - ignition to this, Legs & Co's first chance to get funky to some classic disco. The get up has cool late Pan's/Flipper-style thighs appeal with caps handily verifying which one early fanciers have taken a shine to, but the throwovers...well one can be too protective. The girls show good action, bouncing off each other to increase the sum of the routine's parts. Eye-catching stuff includes a Rosie and Sue shuffle and a soft version of The Bump(er) from Patti and Pauline. All in all a good delivery and the components are there for a big valuation, except the performance isn't exactly maximized by conditions. It would have received a slightly better finish had they been working the day shift, the linear roller-brush set-up matching the team of six means that with the single camera on the floor a lot of the action behind the front pairs gets obscured, and thinking back to the start subsequent close-ups wouldn't have gone amiss because as it is some nice little engagements with the viewer lose impact. (Most notably a delightful shimmy from a poorly-serviced Lulu). Despite these design flaws it still scrubs up well enough for 8/10

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Doc wrote
The letters are red on a dark hat! It says Rosemary.
Yes TOTPs staunchly wouldn't budge from the `Rosemary` moniker would they, rather than her preferred Rosie handle. By my reckoning the first time on the show she was refereed to as Rosie was when her big fan Simon Bates labeled her that before the `Off The Wall` routine in December 79, a full three years into her tenure. Though it would have been nice to check the back of her `Come On Dance Dance` tracksuit, we never got the chance to. Of course the credits didn't revert to Rosie either, though the boys in graphics did come good for Rosie on `Funkin For Jamaica`.

Can anyone come up with an earlier example of just `Rosie` ?
I pretty sure she actually was Rosemary at the time. The shortening of the name was apparently Flick's idea and it stuck.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Doc wrote
The letters are red on a dark hat! It says Rosemary.
Yes TOTPs staunchly wouldn't budge from the `Rosemary` moniker would they, rather than her preferred Rosie handle. By my reckoning the first time on the show she was refereed to as Rosie was when her big fan Simon Bates labeled her that before the `Off The Wall` routine in December 79, a full three years into her tenure. Though it would have been nice to check the back of her `Come On Dance Dance` tracksuit, we never got the chance to. Of course the credits didn't revert to Rosie either, though the boys in graphics did come good for Rosie on `Funkin For Jamaica`.

Can anyone come up with an earlier example of just `Rosie` ?
In the Nair hair removal advert in the Legs & Co picture thread, her shirt has Rosie on it and the ad is apparently from July 1977. Though it is not on TOTP she was called Rosie quite early in her time with Legs.
The post can be found here

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Good detective work Legsfan. I must admit i didn't bother trawling through all the pic section when i made my initial 'Rosie name' post, but the Nair hair removal advert from 77 sure appears to be the earliest Rosie mention. Are there any more in Pics this early i wonder, or in newspaper cuttings.

Looking forward to your comments and rating on this routine !

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Legsfan
I really like this routine especially the really fun side to it like Sue and Gill at the start. I would have recycled old Christmas trees to make the brushes as the resemblance is definitely there!
Rating: 9/10
DOTD: Patti

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Everything'sRosie
I actually went to see the film this came from. Yes, there was a film...about a car wash. I didn't want to but my sister's mate didn't turn up (no mobiles back then, of course) so I was ordered by my parents to accompany her. I have no memory whatsoever of the film except for a scene towards the end when a bottle of urine somehow gets mistaken for a bomb, or something. Don't ask me to explain. It was the 70s. Anyway, enough of that. I've never really thought much of the record; Rose Royce did much better stuff later on imho. The dance however, is a belter. The best start methinks to any routine. Those sticking out tongues are a brilliant piece of improvisation by our Misses Menhenick and Clarke. And it was improvisation I'm pretty sure, as, for some subconscious reason, you can always tell when something's been scripted. Not really much more to add other than it's a lively piece and all the girls get an opportunity to shine. But I'm docking a point for those scarves. Whose bright idea was that!

DotD has to be Sue

Marks: 8.5/10

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

PattiForPM
You could be right about the improv ER and it' a nice thought but honestly I'm a doubter as I know Flick was a strict taskmaster and I think this might have met with some post-Dance "discussion" if Sue and Gill had just invented it.  Now I suppose it may have come up in rehearsal in the cold noisy gym that way however

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

The Rubberband Man
I'm with P4PM. I doubt the start of the routine was improvised on set. It's all been set up with the camera in the right place, and you can see Sue discreetly looking for her cue to start, so it was known about by the Director before filming.
It's certainly an idea that's off the training ground though, probably dreamt up by either Sue or Gill during rehearsals for the routine, and taken into the studio for the final take.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

CoffeeThing
 I love the music from this era, and I love the dance routines too. A good fun routine with lots of movement and great costumes. Sue and Gill are an absolute delight poking out  their tongues at each other at the beginning. The great examples of Sue literally popping as She arrives in screen, full of energy and dynamism. Brilliant. 9.25 and DOTD is Sue.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Dancer
A good routine from all really to a fantastic song.  I too noticed the repeat outfits when I viewed this so thanks to Ryan for resolving my query that I placed on the anniversary page.  Shame about one of the fixtures giving out but all in all it was a good dance.  I will award this one eight out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Sue.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

brandonb
10/10 DOTD: Lulu

How Sue and Gill managed to do that tongue business at the beginning without bursting into giggles at the wrong time I'll never know (you know it's going to be 10x worse when the camera is really running rather than in rehearsal) - but a great start to this routine. I really struggled to try and think of anything that's wrong with this routine and there just isn't. There's some tight well executed dancing here and everyone does a cracking job. I like the song and while not a huge fan of the leg warmer look it's entirely appropriate for the set as is the rest of their outfits. DOTD was really hard - but in the end I also went for Lulu's hip action magic - which could easily have gone out of sync but which didn't due to her professional execution - who could fail to be impressed? But as I said everyone did well in this really - great dancing and heaps of fun.

Re: CAR WASH -- [January]

Thanks for making a start on 1977 Brandon. You are quite correct about the tongue tomfoolery at the beginning of the routine and both gals seemed to enjoy that. I sometimes wonder what if Flick had chosen another combination to open the routine and how that would look. What ifs, so many of them aren't they.