CHIQUITITA [February]

CHIQUITA Dance/performance number 150 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Abba  reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  08/02/79  Duration of dance 2.27 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      134
Pauline 133
Patti     130
Rosie    130
Gill       127
Lulu      125
A link to the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAq7cwdR8dk

Here we find Legs & Co dancing to the 3rd of four Abba songs that they performed to on TOTPs, but we wont see the 4th until the summer of 81. Once again i find that BBC4 have enhanced my visual enjoyment of a Legs & Co routine. After years of only seeing this on a computer screen, seeing it last night on the box certainly helped me to appreciate this quite complex performance a little more, especially after i described it as only so-so the other week.

Quite understandably Flick heads down the literal route and dresses our Latin lovelies in traditional Spanish garb. We then see them changing places, at times it does feel a bit like hide and seek as we search for our favourites. My gal Sue hardly gets a look-in. Ive always found it a bit of a shame the song didn't pick up pace a bit quicker, but it matches the dance so well and visa versa, so full credit to Flick and the dancers for a pretty good show. I like the way the blue sky appears towards the end. For Senorita of the day well its between two. I have Gill & Patti vying for it. Ive gone for `Patti` as she just captures the mood of the song so well, and lets face it, looks more Spanish than Gill.

Rating. Before this got the BBC4 treatment i would have said 7.5, now im up to `8.5 out of 10`

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Andeebee
Not one of my favourite ABBA tracks per se, but the routine to this is first class.

The Spanish hide and seek  (agree not enough Sue) is a nice touch, I assume copying the archways into the bull ring (who knows), I actually half expected Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass to turn up....

I digress, after last weeks stella standing out performance, this week is more subdued, with acres of high heels, pretty dresses and scrapped back barnets. The legs look divine so do the girls. Sadly a tadge too short for me this week.

Scores on ADB's doors: 9.5/10 (would of been 10 but had to drop half as it was too short)

DOTD: difficult, but Gill with the opening close up, phoarr (sorry Sue)

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

The six sexy senoritas, of Legs & Co., certainly present a refreshing change from the usual depiction, of an archetypical Spanish scene of daily life, mainly holiday-makers running riot, but here, it's all rather more sophisticated, our ladies look absolutely beautiful in their differently coloured ball-gowns, & the bun-type hairstyles, complement their dresses rather well, & the dancing around the arches that close-up, certainly adds an extra degree of intimacy to their dance routine.

9/10

Gill

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Ah such atmospheric Spanish ladies and Patti is oh so very serious.  The deeply plunging backs of those dresses are fantastic and the ladies perform this beautifully.  I do find the odd front to Patti's outfit distracts enough however to allow in the beautiful Gill to sneak the DotD vote with some lovely poses.  While appealing in a rather unique way I can not mark this as high as some of my favorites so I will award 8.5/10.  The whole spectacle really works though

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

This weeks dance by our ladies come from the pen of abba. We have a more complex dance to this tune. The ladies are are dressed like Spanish senoritas, in there flamenco dresses. And there scarped back hair into a bun. We see the fabulous face of Gill at the start of the routine. And for me she gets more time in this dance. She gets the main solo in this routine. The other ladies who do well in this routine are Patti who looks fantastic. Lulu and Pauline. But I must say that the fabulous Sue doesn't get a look in. But it still a well produced routine by Flick in a month, that is packed full of good even great routine.

The Dotd will after go to the very beautiful Gill.

The score will be 8 out of 10.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Suefan
Another fine routine with more smashing costumes and a rather novel set.  The southern Spanish vibe works a treat and had the set been a little less intrusive then this would have been another maximum.  Gill, who almost got my Dotd pick last week, certainly gets it on this occasion while the dance scores as a 9.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Old Grey Whistler
A bit of a melancholy feel to the song, typical of many of Abba's later tunes as their marriages began to break up. Our dancers match the tone of the song with some suitably moody looks, and they look fantastic in their traditional Spanish costumes and hair styles.
Unusually Sue struggles most to get camera time. Patti and Pauline look the most convincing as Spanish women, but Gill positively owns this routine and gets DOTD.
My score is 8.5 out of 10.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Some people seemed to think on Twitter on Thursday night that this routine didn't match the song, but I think it does, so there.

DotD: Patti

Score: 8.5

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

I don't think i could think of a better example of a Legs & Co routine that `does` match a song like this one does. Thank goodness i don't do this Twitter stuff, id soon lose my rag with folk.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

PattiforPM
# Very Odd

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

As much as i love this song and Abba,i don't think much of this routine.It does look great;the mood,costumes and set are all fine.However it is not one i can watch again and again.For me it is not interesting or exciting to watch.7/10
DotD:Gill

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

VintageVideos
I am a big ABBA fan, but I never really liked this song. It's much too long and much too slow building up. I mean, a 2 1/2 min routine and you haven't even heard the first refrain completely? I'd much rather they would have released the originally planned "If It Wasn't For The Nights" as a single, an excellent song and a firm favourite here.
Anyway, this is still a good routine with some exceptional costumes, but unfortunately you can't do a lot with such a slow song. Of course, it's much too short, and the ending is quite unsatisfactory. All in all it just stays in the 'nice' camp:

7.5 / 10

DotD: Gill
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

PaulF
I have mentioned this before and it seems that this is a particular problem to my weirdness and an embarrassment to me being a L&Co fan, but I have problems identifying the girls when their hair is tied back or large hats are worn. I have had to watch this routine numerous times concentrating intensely on who's who and by the time all have been positively ID'd the routine has finished. It is for this reason that I only award this dance a frustrating 5/10.

DOTD The delectable Ms Hammond, always throws in a pout or two for easy ID.
Paul

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Suefan
PaulF wrote
I have mentioned this before and it seems that this is a particular problem to my weirdness and an embarrassment to me being a L&Co fan, but I have problems identifying the girls when their hair is tied back or large hats are worn.
You've no chance in a fortnights time then Paul !!

However, it would be a tragedy if you marked down what was one of the most original and splendidly executed dance routines, simply because you were unable to distinguish each individual dancer.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Lookmacinanger
I’m trying my best to look for the positives from Legs and Co assignment to Chiquitita and I’m afraid to report I’m still looking around the arches! You will find more life in a tramps vest than this offering from Abba and I lament Legs and Co being lumbered with the task. On the plus side the routine looks much sharper in this BBC4 version so that is something to celebrate. Although everyone scrubs up well as senoritas, the nature of the song leaves no room for manoeuvre and Legs and Co gives it their best as usual.  I won’t be influenced by Patti looking more Spanish than the other ladies and Gill being the cameraman’s favourite, Sue and Rosie managed to keep a low profile and Pauline gave us a wonderful first leg but for me Lulu sparkled in her fleeting moments. 7/10, Dotd Lulu. Normal service from 1979 will resume shortly.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

JEZ
A great abba tune ,and the dance and costumes interpretate the song brilliantley ,i dont know how the people on twitter cant see  how it doesent ,it also brings a nostalgia factor for me because my dad was very much an abba fan and i remember him watching this dance routine of legs and him singing along to it ,it gets a nine from me

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

PaulF wrote
I have mentioned this before and it seems that this is a particular problem to my weirdness and an embarrassment to me being a L&Co fan, but I have problems identifying the girls when their hair is tied back or large hats are worn. I have had to watch this routine numerous times concentrating intensely on who's who and by the time all have been positively ID'd the routine has finished. .
You're not being weird at all Paul.  In some of the routines it can be difficult to identify the ladies.  I think Grandma's Party was the worst in that respect.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

VintageVideos
Don't forget the smurfs!
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

Old Grey Whistler wrote
PaulF wrote
I have mentioned this before and it seems that this is a particular problem to my weirdness and an embarrassment to me being a L&Co fan, but I have problems identifying the girls when their hair is tied back or large hats are worn. I have had to watch this routine numerous times concentrating intensely on who's who and by the time all have been positively ID'd the routine has finished. .
You're not being weird at all Paul.  In some of the routines it can be difficult to identify the ladies.  I think Grandma's Party was the worst in that respect.
You should have a try at identifying those Japanese girls then in 1981 when Legs accompany Aneka on stage. That is probably the hardest occasion in terms of identification. But i have managed to do so, but it took some time.

Re: CHIQUITITA [February]

My fave slower tempo Abba biggie, this. I must have a longer attention span than Vin and better ears than Mac.

The multi-arched folly is a good and fruitful setting for our senoritas to play a pensive game of now-you-see-me-now-you-don't, eyes with no hope for tomorrow. I wish it wasn't bare and cold though. It would have been much better draped in foliage and hanging baskets. And roses. For Pauline to take one between her teeth to add drama to the unsatisfactory ending. I'm sure the tea boy could have got a 4 o'clock bargain bunch down Shepherd's Bush market. Oh well.

But this might-have-been shows what niggles away at me as I watch this: it needed to burn with more Mediterranean passion. Part of the problem is the butcher's knife of an editing job that the song gets means that what should have been the routine's prelude is the main event. And when the moment finally comes the dance only bursts into half life. It's not a bad routine at all, and I like the dresses and hair-styling, but it doesn't fulfil its potential.

The shoddy ending tricks us into thinking Pauline hasn't noticed the music's stopped. She had emerged from the shadows into blue sky to almost claim DOTD at the death. But that will go to the other most convincing Spaniard, Patti, whose gravitas just clinches it.