COCONUT -- 03/08/1972

Coconut
Performed by Nilsson and reaching number 42 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 03/08/1972 Duration of dance - 2.16 mins
Dancers: Andy, Babs, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBIy03g8Nm8

Harry Nilsson is another singer who passed away much too early. About 20 years ago, he died of a heart failure, just 52 years old. Even though he was one of an elite group of singers with a three octave vocal range, his success in the UK & US singles charts was very limited: three Top 10 hits in the US and just one in the UK. Of course, his best known recording is his cover of the Ham/Evans (of Badfinger) penned "Without You", a worldwide No. 1.

"Without You" was followed up in Britain with a rather weird track about putting the lime in the coconut, drinking both up, and then calling the doctor to relieve the belly ache. "Coconut" features three distinct characters (the narrator, the sister, and the doctor), all sung in different voices by Nilsson. While the single ensured Harry another Top 10 entry in the US, British buyers were less enthusiastic and "Coconut" stuck at No. 42 (while "Without You" was still at No. 41).

In May 1972 ("Our Story", page 115) Pan's People started a big slimming campaign. As part of the campaign, they shot two promo videos for the BBC1 programme "Nationwide" which were broadcast on 27/07/1972 and 03/08/1972. The music for the first video was Tony Joe White's "Save Your Sugar For Me", while the second used Nilsson's "Coconut". That explains why you can see different kinds of food (even 'forbidden' food) in the clip and Babs holding a bottle of "Slimming Potion".

Just as "Coconut" is rather unusual, so is the promo video, which certainly tells its story with a lot of humour. It's not so much a dance routine in the proper sense, but more like a comedy sketch.

I find that rating this performance is extremely difficult. I like the humour, the different close-ups, even the monkeying around. On the other hand there isn't really much dancing here. Furthermore, the song is getting on my nerves after repeated listening/viewing. But as this is one of the very few surviving clips from 1972, I won't be so strict and award

8 / 10

Comedian of the day has to be Babs.
Vin

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Suefan
A most bizarre few minutes but I do like the costumes so I'm going to give this a 7 with Babs as the Doctor of the Day.

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

bucksby
weird song. I remember the muppets doing a version of this and I can't get their version out of my head. Interesting video, looks like a location for a outdoor Dr who serial! Flick & the girls have done as well as they could with the material they have been given even if the result is a bit cheesy. routine a 6, Babs is DOTD

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

This performance is just about the funniest that I've ever seen from Pan's People, & proving, one & for all that PP, when asked to do humour, actually could pull it off rather well, & Babs, is certainly the star of the show here, with her crazy, gormless facial expressions, as she carries out 'neknomination' of sorts, decades before anybody else tried it with alcohol, & put that quoted name to their act. It's a pity how it ended, with Babs out cold after receiving a blow to her head from an errant coconut.

9/10

DotD:-

Babs

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Like:
outfits which were used on jiml fix it too
Babs when she sways her torso close to the camera - gives me heart failure every time
Babs eye makeup
Unique and fun
Andrea
Slimming potion

Dislikes :
andrea's roots need bleaching
the song
the building site/quarry/sand dunes though they make it unique
the programme nationwide- it was awful looking back
not as good what i've seen of save your sugar.
hard to understand how it would help such a campaign and why there was one in the first place
Its a classic but not really for the desert island.

dotd babs 8.5

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

I think this is one of the Marmite routines and I'm afraid I'm on the side of the foreign legions.  Mitigating my opinion somewhat is the special nature of this video footage, being a slimming campaign and a rather unique (or at least duique) chance to see earlyish Pans outside their usual environment and purpose.  Having said this I really hate the song and I can't escape the constant feeling I get of a kind of "Pans People of the Damned" effect which I think comes from the odd choreography and make-up.  The stars seem to be Babs and Andi and these two, being blonde, seem to be most afffected by the stark contrasting make-up which is of it's time I suppose but rather frightening to me.  The costumes and comedy bits are fun and Babs is particularly good in this aspect of the performance and easily gets DotD from me.  Overall however I don't really enjoy this much and can only award 5.5/10  BTW it really reminds me of some of my early experiences on Family Trips to Camber Sands on the South Kent coast and, before you ask, no I didn't have any bad experiences there!

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Doubleday
Well, it's a real curiosity, but then so is the song! And I agree it could have been something out of Doctor Who. I'm curious as to the location, it looks like a quarry to me rather than the sea coast. The costumes are sort of old fashioned seaside or Punch and Judy, with yet more extravagantly flared trousers. Obviously Babs has the principal role and I'll say 7.5 /10 for novelty value.

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Its a fun routine to a wacky song. With plenty going on in the clip there are no dull moments.

Its very entertaining which is the main thing and im happy to give it a `9 out of 10`.

DOTD, its got to be `Babs`.

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Hey p4pm I know you have written before that babs and andi look as though they are starring in a zombie film
and i sort of agree with you but I like to think the eye makeup is  more like that twiggy had in the 60s - Camber sands is lovely on a good weather day away from the holiday camps but is in Sussex not Kent- - this comment has nothing to do with Canada doing better than uk at the sochi olympics honest

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Colm
I think this is great fun - a good comic routine to a catchy song (which is now going to stick in my head for the rest of the night).

DotD: Very tempted to go for Babs - particularly for that shimmying before the troupe line out - but I'm picking Andy instead for shoving that cream bun in Dee Dee's face!

Score: 8.5

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Sorry about Camber Sands misplacement BB and I do see the Twiggy make-up similarity but I didn't like it on her either so I guess I'm stuck with my bias.  I do understand why others like this performance but, despite it's humour and originality, I just don't find it appealing enough to my ears and eyes to mark it any higher

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

PaulF
The song is weird but this just shows the diversity of Flick and the girls. 7/10

DOTD has to be our Babs.
Paul

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Lookmacinanger
Thanks to our host for the background information regarding this segment. I thought the only surviving clips of Nationwide were the skateboarding duck and that lady hand bagging Mrs T. during an election phone in, but on the other hand were you curious enough to want to go to one of Frank Bough parties? ahem.

Well I think I stand shoulder to shoulder with my colleagues on my opinion of Nilsson’s track Coconut and I can only offer the view that he’d been down the pub with Keith Moon and Ringo Starr one lunchtime before remembering he had some recording to do that afternoon.

Pans People give an solid if nor ironic performance that will certainly linger in the memory and all this before a Dalek comes screaming around the next sand dune being chased by the Exxilon's. 8/10, Dotd Babs

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Andeebee
Never a fan of this, prefer the 'Sugar' promo to be honest......this features 'scary ass' Pans prob clowning around on some deserted beach location used for Dr Who etc etc.  A strange oddity from the pans cannon, one that doesn't even make a repeat showing for me...

Scary ass Pans person: Babs

Score on the fright-o-meter: 6/10

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Gorgeous Daze
This is an oddity! A bulldozed beach on a dreary day makes a terrible setting. I can see what those who have mentioned Dr Who are getting at. I also thought it had something of the feel of The Prisoner. The girls look like an order of jesters clowning around on the sand doing slapstick performance art with mind-controlled faces. The song is creepy and altogether it's like sinister brainwashing to diet rather than encouragement. The girls getting down low and stalking for chip butty-scoffing absconders. Dancing blithely on round the prostrate Babs seals the mood.

Looking at it positively though the girls are good here off their beaten track. Particularly Babs, my DOTD by some way.

6/10

Btw, on what BBCFour programme was this shown? It seems unusual because I would expect either short clips of this or the whole thing, rather than nearly all of it.

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Mikey
Despite its weirdness this is one i do enjoy watching, simply for the random things happening and the fun approach used. Babs seems to be the stern cake hating authority figure, and i like the ladies sneaking around trying to get their cake fix, kind of reminds me of the r whites lemonade ads. There are some other more comedic routines such as monster mash, but this is far more playful than anything else they did, free of the totp shackles to run around what seems to be an abandoned quarry.

As outfits go these are quite strange, sort of like funky ringmasters, but is Babs lack of a bow tie significant or did they just forget it?

The narrative is a simple one, but well choreographed with some nice comedy moments, Dee Dee getting caked, Louise's toe feather, the coconut hitting Babs at the end and many more....what the hell was going on that day!?

A break from the norm, that despite being quite short and cut off at the end is entertaining so 9/10. Babs is DOTD for proving that coconuts are bad for you if it lands on your head. Now wheres that cream bun....

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Btw, on what BBCFour programme was this shown? It seems unusual because I would expect either short clips of this or the whole thing, rather than nearly all of it.
I am sorry but unfortunately I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe one of our other members has an idea when this clip was shown on BBC4?
Vin

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

Paperboyplod
It's never been broadcast on BBC Four AFAIK, unless they'd been screening re-runs of Nationwide, but I'm certain that I'd have gotten wind of that move, if T's actually happened.

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

VintageVideos
The BBC4 DOG in the clip tells a different story...
Vin

Re: COCONUT -- 1972

BeautifulBabs
there's a dog in the clip vv?- I never noticed but then stray dogs can wander in such habitats