CONTACT [February]

CONTACT  Dance/performance number 151 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Edwin Starr  reaching number 6 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  15/02/79  Duration of dance 2.39 mins
Dancers -- Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      135
Pauline 134
Patti     131
Rosie    131
Gill       127
Lulu      126
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26p0ye_legs-co-contact-totp-tx-15-02-1979_creation

  Nine years after he last troubled the UK top 30 Edwin Starr is back with a fine disco track that is ideal for our ladies to perform to. I do like these routines that elevate our dancers above the studio audience and its great the audience are actually dancing and not just standing in awe looking at our ladies.
  Each of our gals gets their fair share of the spotlight and each shows off their own attributes, with Patti in pout city and Rosie swishing her long hair most noticeable. As ever Sue is giving it her all and Lulu is loving those flashing hand movements.
  As for the costumes, well its feels like Flick raided the costume trunk with the first things she laid her hands on. Lulu getting the sexiest cossie and Pauline drawing the short straw, a helter skelter of a dress i call it.
  By this time in 1979 Legs & Co have perfected their craft to such a degree that they nail any song, routine thats given to them and in turn its getting more difficult to select a Dancer of the day. Ive narrowed it down to two. Lulu is quite irresistible in this, but my vote will go to another.
  Its hard to believe the change in Pauline. Twelve months ago she seemed to be getting raw deals on placement in routines and was hardly noticeable. Twelve months on, she for my money has been the star of 79 so far and looks simply fab now shes got rid of the frizz and her smiles win me over every time. Although she was was given a silly looking dress to wear, `Pauline` is once again my choice for DOTD.

For the rating, well `9 out of 10` seems about right in my view.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Paperboyplod
These ladies seem get raunchier as the years progress, this week they're emphasising the 'Legs' part of their name with some very sultry movements of their lower limbs, & heaps of pointing with some stern facial expressions, acting out some of the lyrics to Edwin Starr's Contact, aimed at the TOTPs  viewers at hem, & in the audience, that had minimal camera time, but at least what we saw of them, were moments that they were seen to be obviously enjoying this latest dance routine from these lip-glossed beauties.

9/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: CONTACT [February]

SuPaLu
An energetic dance to a good disco track.It's not a favourite but it is enjoyable.8/10

DotD:Patti

Re: CONTACT [February]

Likes :
the track- has stood the test of time
costumes
the podiums
fun moves

Not sure about :
Pauline's net curtain outfit- looks as though its a fire risk
dodgy dancing audience in background should be told to get out of shot especially the girl on the left in the yellow blouse
camera angle should be lower and frame the girls against clear background- ( in an ideal world)

8.5 and dotd Sue- technically so smooth and lithe here

Re: CONTACT [February]

The track is perhaps only middle of the road but this routine is in the fast lane.  Great choreography, great performances and some smashing costumes.  And after fourteen months searching for it Lulu appears to have found her black nightie.  But for her supercharged, super-smooth, super-spinning delivery Sue is my Dotd and, as I like this routine a lot, it gets a 9.5.

Re: CONTACT [February]

PattiforPM
Yes the ladies certainly hit this one out of the park and I do like the rather desperate-sounding vocal style of Mr Starr, which seems to bring out a really good raunchy disco piece from the Troupe.  Patti is giving this one the full Hammond treatment and is right in tune for me with the camera finding her at all the right moments.  My only gripe is the really dark lip-colour she has been given but it's a minor point I admit.  Sue is indeed as smooth as silk and looks tremendous and Lulu and Pauline are certainly commanding our respect here.  Rosie seems to get the least coverage as I see it this time but looks great when she's featured too.  I hate to be predictable but I simply must give my DotD to Patti for the way she gets truly immersed in the music.  I give the Dance 9.25/10 although it's almost better than that; it's just that 1979 is so fantastic that I need headroom for some of the other performances.

PS.  How appropriate to our present lucky state on OFTDs is Mr Powell's intro?

Re: CONTACT [February]

Adorable Gillusion
6/10   DOTD Pauline

Re: CONTACT [February]

Colm
On the basis on who gives, for me, the best "contact" with the dance...

DotD: Lulu

Score: 8.5

Re: CONTACT [February]

Andeebee
What on earth is Pauline got draped round herself this week, looks like she has the short straw.

Great Disco number, better than H.A.P.P.Y Radio (which I thought was horrid).

All the lovely Legs get a look in this week on separate podiums, and they look tip top (don't they fellas), they have seen off the last of the Xmas sandwiches, and look glowing this week.

Scores on the doors: 10/10

DOTD: very hard, lulu or Pauline, nope Sue made enough contact for me, so Sue is my DOTD

Re: CONTACT [February]

PaulF
Very agreeable routine 9/10. I must concur with Ryan when he says that the DOTD choice is getting harder. Was going to choose Sue but then got diverted by the sultry pouting Patti before spotting Lulu being cheeky in the background but eventually chose Pauline for giving a fine performance in her ridiculous costume within a very prominent centre stage position.
Paul

Re: CONTACT [February]

Gorgeous Daze
This is an offspring of 'I Feel Love' and a good, solid, floor-filler from the star whose life's journey took him from Nashville to Nottinghamshire. And the routine provides its match. The black and golden spectrum of variations that are the costumes are a definite: Yes, please! But it's a big no for poor lumbered Pauline, who looks like she's fallen prey to a mutant fungal infection. What was Flick or whoever thinking?

The stage design gives us a directors' box vantage point. The camera work is good, with brisk cross-fades. There's a pair missing, but it's a very leggy performance. Lulu has been a little low-key this year up till now, but on this one she's back to how we like her best - eye-catching and camera-friendly. She was a contender for my DOTD, but in the end I whittled it down to the two at the front, who are gradually being revealed to be the dancers' dancers. I can't separate them, so it's gone to a mental toss of a coin and it's landed Sue side up.

8.5/10

Re: CONTACT [February]

AC/PD
Rosemary had the shortest skirt in Love's Unkind. It looks as though the kimono worn in Contact was purchased from the very same shop. Oodles of legs on display from not only her but also the other four as they dance to a track which is perfect for Legs & Co.
One of the best moments is when Pauline seems to regenerate into Lulu : leans forward in that bubble wrap-sheep which becomes black chiffon nightwear an instant later.
Pleasing to see the audience have been plugged in for this one and aren't just standing there in comatose states of inertia.
Extremely to pick one out of the five as they're all largely successful in garnering attention and enjoyment.
Have to pick the one with the best costume, namely a tiny silver jacket.
DOTD : Patti

Re: CONTACT [February]

I have to say I was very skeptical if I'd rate this routine highly as I never really liked the song. But when I watched it I just went, wow, what a performance! All the ladies are so full of joy and energy, it doesn't matter who you look at, they're all just great. Yes Pauline is a bit handicapped with her somewhat strange dress but she manages to shine nonetheless. Lulu is in top form and she would have been my DotD were it not for the sheer incredible performance of one Patti Hammond who I just can't seem to take my eyes off here - and boy is she H-O-T!
Initially I wanted to dock off half a point for Pauline's outfit, but this routine is just too good to award anything less than

10 / 10

DotD: Patti
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: CONTACT [February]

PattiforPM
The influence of the raven-haired temptress's spell spreads like the perfect contagion across the European Mainland

Re: CONTACT [February]

Old Grey Whistler
Legs & Co were certainly on form in February, and this is another fine performance.  I am not quite sure about Pauline's dress but it is nice to see her in a prominent position. The camera work and lighting is good and the song is okay as well. It is nice to see Lulu smiling again, and as usual the dancing is top notch.  My only minor gripe is that we don't get to see a lot of Rosie, and I do miss Gill, so it just misses out on the maximum and gets 9 out of 10.
Dancer of the Day could have been anyone really, but I narrowed it down to the two brunettes. Pauline is great in this, but my vote goes to Patti who is simply irresistible.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Lookmacinanger
I was looking at you, (you can only dream about the next line).  Given one of 1979 hottest disco tracks to work with Legs and Co certainly appear to reach out, make contact and leave a lasting impression with their audience. Patti and Lulu looked to have made it quickest to the dressing up box and got first choice of accessories but everyone seems to be having a great time regardless. 10/10. Dotd, Lulu

Re: CONTACT [February]

Mikey
Yep, this is disco at its more commercial fun end, the lyrics are cliched, but who cares really when its all about having a good time. That is precisely what Flick has given us with the routine here. Despite the bargain bin outfits, the golden set looks nice and each dancer gets a fairly equal share of the camera, and are looking red hot may i add!.

8.5/10 DOTD Pauline and the mutant tutu

Stu

Re: CONTACT [February]

Stu
Enjoyed the routine and the way the stage was set out with the girls all having a platform each to perform on. DOTD goes to Pauline for not missing a step and maintaining her beautiful smile despite being under attack from a giant jelly fish.

9/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: CONTACT [February]

We have five of the ladies, and just missing Gill for this routine. Three of the ladies on a high oblong plinth. These are Rosie on the left side of the plinth. On the right side of plinth is Lulu, and in middle is Pauline. In front of this plinth we have two low ramps. On these two ramps are the other two ladies Sue and Patti. The ladies on the back plinth are wearing Leotard of a yellowish. Pauline is wearing a peace of fabric wrapped round it. Rosie as a sparkly chiffon jacket on top of the leotard tie with a large gold belt a round her waist. Lulu with a chiffon jacket tie a round her neck. Sue and Patti are wearing black leotards. Sue as a patterned Shawl wrapped a round the leotard. And Patti a small silver jacket over the leotard. The routine starts with the camera come in to see Pauline spin around then goes out. To a very energetic routine to show off some of they attributes. With have Rosie with her long blonde swishing hair. And the hand movement that Lulu dose. We have the wonderful Patti pouting away. And Sue as usually on top form. Just a good all round performance by the ladies, to a fab song.

The Dotd will go to yet again to the great Sue for her performance.

The score as to be 9 out 10.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Old Bill
I always thought the song was called Eye-to-Eye Contact. Well well - you live and learn!

Poor old Pauline - she finally gets the centre stage position she deserves but then gets lumbered with a right lemon of a costume! But she deals with admirably - and smiling as ever.
A great fast dance, to a catchy song. Nice outfits and lots of hair flicking - what's not to like?
One or two the girls are a little ahead or behind on the spins, but with a pacey dance like this it would be nigh on impossible to be otherwise.

8.5/10 and DotD... Patti or Lulu. After much diliberation I had to plump for Lulu again predictably I'm afraid.

She always a perfect 10!
Jeremiah 31:13
12