CONTACT [February]

Re: CONTACT [February]

Doc
THis song is always a favorite of mine when on the radio 'club classics'  and it's accompanied by an approriately high tempo dance 8/10. Dotd: Not an obvious choice as they all do well, Pauline gets plenty of camera time and stands out for having to wear the most ridiculous outfit, Lulu is her cheeky self, but I'm going for Sue who seems to be 'going for it' for lack of a better term
Still living in 1979

Re: CONTACT [February]

bucksby
I like the routine shame Gill is missing. Pauline's outfit outfit looks a bit silly but the others are fine. Hard to pick a DOTD, close run thing between Patti & Sue but Patti just edges it. Routine gets an 8.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Who's That Hurll
'Contact' is an up- tempo Northern Soul/ Disco track that guarantees an energetic response from the dancers.
There's plenty of spinning and arm movement, with some nice touches contained within. We have the Rosie mane shake, the Sue shimmy and Lulu the lyricist ( I love the "you and me" accompaniment at the end of the first chorus).
Black and gold seems to be the theme of the clothing, although Pauline has strayed from the dress code by wearing a giant oyster mushroom. The set is quite rigid in it's formation and the lighting is a basic on/off switch rather than having any coloured lights.  8/10  DOTD Lulu.

Re: CONTACT [February]

A great disco track and a fine performance from our lovely ladies, although I must say their outfits look a bit like accessorised swimming costumes. Rosie looks stunning near the start of the routine, and I also love the close ups we get of Lulu, but having said that all the girls look great, and I always like it when the girls have their own plinth to dance on too.

Rating 9/10

DOTD Very nearly Patti, but I just couldn't resist Lulu

Re: CONTACT [February]

The Rubberband Man
I notice Lulu has odd shoes on

Would this be a detention for Miss Cartwright for turning up on a recording day without the correct kit ?

Re: CONTACT [February]

GiLuRo
The Rubberband Man wrote
I notice Lulu has odd shoes on

Would this be a detention for Miss Cartwright for turning up on a recording day without the correct kit ?
Well spotted Rubberband Man, I've just re watched the routine and had never noticed that before, you have an amazing attention to detail!

Re: CONTACT [February]

Yes guys, i neglected to mention the odd Lulu shoes in my intro as i laid that question to the forum on PD's TOTPs preview for that show. Its the third post into it. GD finally solved it 60 minutes after the show had ended.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTPs-20-02-14-Originally-aired-15-02-79-tp4060091.html

Re: CONTACT [February]

Yes guys, i neglected to mention the odd Lulu shoes in my intro as i laid that question to the forum on PD's TOTPs preview for that show. Its the third post into it. GD finally solved it 60 minutes after the show had ended.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTPs-20-02-14-Originally-aired-15-02-79-tp4060091.html
Ah. I didn't know it had been commented on before.
I like GD's explanation of the situation. It just shows what a well balanced and considerate person Lulu really is to think about doing that.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Yeah we've scrutinized most things about Legs & Co, but please feel free to re-scrutinize ! Its always nice to have a second look at routines and sometimes new things get discovered that have been missed.

I think i may have asked Lulu about the odd shoes in `Contact` during the Q&A's, but to be honest i didn't think she knew what i was on about, and who could blame her. Little things that we observe some 35 years later were just instantly forgettable to them 35 years earlier when they were just doing their job.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Dancer
Edwin Starr had a lovely voice and this song was just perfect for him including the disco beats.  The perfect disco classic that never dates.  I still have my pink vinyl 12" version and it still sounds fresh.  The dance itself looked really good and the girls looked like they were enjoying themselves including Pauline in that awful lumpy costume - but the colours did match.  I will award this dance ten out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Patti.

Re: CONTACT [February]

Everything'sRosie
Despite smiling throughout, Pauline looks like she's being asphyxiated by a giant shower puff. What was that all about? The sort of clothing item one of these designer loons would present to their adoring public and then expect to be lauded for as an example of their "unique" take on the world. Apart from this though, I rather like the dance, much better than the turgid disco-by-numbers track that inspired it. Probably sounded much better among the flashing lights down yer local dance hall.

Anyway, being a podium routine there's no interaction between the girls, and the upper-body moves are far more eye-catching. Not enough Rosie for my liking, and despite Lulu's cheeky playing to the cameras, it's Sue and Patti who make this dance for me. Well, a black one-piece is universally adored, isn't it! A close-run thing, but a super sensual Patti gets my nod for DotD. The routine as a whole I'll score at 8/10

Re: CONTACT [February]

The Rubberband Man
It’s Patti’s new hairstyle that grabs my attention – the perm really suits her and I think she looks fabulous.
A totally exuberant performance by everyone, the enthusiasm and energy spilling over, especially from Pauline who’s got the centre stage position for once.
No expense spared by the costumes department this week although I do like the individuality being displayed – Pauline’s being the most outrageous.

9/10

DOTD: It could be Pauline or it could be Patti as both do this dance sequence considerable justice. However, for what must surely be her most eye catching and fun filled (with a little hint of naughtiness) performance of the year, DOTD is Lulu