COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

COOL MEDITATION  Dance/performance number 147 by Legs & Co
Performed by Third World  reaching number 17 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  25/01/79  Duration of dance 2.23 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      132
Pauline 131
Patti     128
Rosie    127
Gill       124
Lulu      123
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24mm1i_legs-co-cool-meditation-totp-tx-25-01-1979_creation

      ***THIS ROUTINE WILL NOT BE SHOWN ON BBC4***
  Here we have Legs & Co performing a second time to a Third World song. I do find the melodic tune strangely enchanting, gentle reggae i suppose its called. The routine that Flick has devised for this does work quite well.  Im not sure i would have liked to have seen the girls exposed to another 2 and a half minutes of dancing full on reggae, so by keeping the girls on the deck for a lot of this was probably the right move by FC.
  The girls have on their vests and silky draws, i guess one could say its their PE kits as they go through a whole raft of floor exercises. Im really not sure what any of you will make of this one, it could well be a love or hate routine. I think i will play safe and award this `7.5 out of 10`

DOTD--Well its difficult to choose, so i will select the girl who captures my eye the most in this and i will select the long legged `Rosie`

Oh just one other thing, notice the quite bizarre set at the back. Are Legs & Co really dancing infront of inverted swastikas ?

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Paperboyplod
We've has an aerobics class, from Legs & Co., & now it looks like it's time for some yoga, in reference to what you normally do at the same time, as per the track title.
Sue, once again, appears to be leading the class, but only because, at one point she step forwards, & seems to dempnstrate the next exercise, as she turns around to face the rest of her group, otherwise, the leadership's less clear-cut, than for Take A Chance On Me.
The dress-code's what you'd expect for a yoga class, & so giving them as free movement as possible, in order to execute many eye-watering contortions.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Colm
If Legs and Co were still on TOTP three years later, this could probably have been classed as part of the "keep fit" craze that sprung up in '82. A bit if a companion to "Come on Dance Dance" in being a) ahead of its time and b) adding a touch of sweet sexuality to the proceedings.

DotD: I'm most drawn to Gill

Score: 8

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Another innovative routine which speaks of both gym and yoga classes but it never really grabs me so I'm also going to give this a 7.5, and as she catches my eye the most choose Lulu for my Dotd.

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

JEZ
This is one legs and co routine that i rarely watch ,i think the biggest downfall is the song ,its not a song i like or i have liked at all ,its one routine that slipped my memory from watching it in 1979 ,i  can only go to a 6 for this one im afraid

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Oh just one other thing, notice the quite bizarre set at the back. Are Legs & Co really dancing infront of inverted swastikas ?
Here you go Ryan
http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

OK now for a bit of self-analysis.  A smooth little routine done by a group of six Angels clad in white and with at least a moderate skimpiness rating:  so why do I find it all sterile and rather unappealing?  For me this one is a complete contrast to the fun and sexiness of Come on Dance Dance and I think perhaps the bland music takes quite a bit of the blame but the gym/work-out stuff just doesn't seem to work for me this time and honestly the only bit I really like is the toe-wiggling ending.  I feel bad for not liking it more but I can't help myself and I have tried watching several more times but there's no improvement with familiarity either.  Oh well.  It's 5/10 and I'm giving Lulu DotD as I think she looks slightly more divine than the other Angels.  I will do penance if this is required

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Andeebee
The symbols look like Chinese throwing stars.

Not one of my favourites and a lowlight for a strong January start, but nonetheless it has grown on me, I have spent a few days tweaking this routine for the DM channel )blasted Barry Manilow)

(which at the moment won't be airing on DM till after HC dock appearance - due to the outro of the clip - but will do when it's over)

Not really that sexy to be honest, the toe wiggling is fun, but nothing to get really excited over.

Scores on my doors: 7.5/10

DOTD: the agile and nubile Lulu

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

I must say this is not one of my favourite routine. We have the ladies in white vests and frilly shorts. Manly moving on the studio  floor to the tune. And ending with the camera zooming on to ladies wriggling there toes.

And now to the Dotd well any of the ladies could be the dancer. But I will choose Sue.

The score will be 6 out of 10.

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

PaulF
7/10 I am middle of the road on this one. I don't mind watching but it does not jump out as a favourite. All the girls perform admirably as usual but my DOTD goes to Sue for the most vigorous toe wiggles.
Paul

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Thanks for you contributions today Paul on the Legs comments. I have to disagree with you about the toe wriggling. I thought Patti (on left of screen) put most effort into that !

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Andeebee
Should change it from DOTD to  Toe Wraggelr of the day

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Gorgeous Daze
Yes, these do look very much like PE kits. I'd like to think that a progressive teacher somewhere picked up on this as a means of creative de-stressing back in the day when - shock horror - exams were sometimes failed. The amber glow probably has a relaxing quality in some Eastern tradition or other, to go with the Hindu swastikas in a sort of pick 'n' mix Buddha Of Suburbia way. The dance incorporates keep-fit exercises and a bit of yoga. Flick no doubt realizing that more than this nod towards meditation risked creating a soporific routine. But even as it is, it sadly doesn't provide very stimulating viewing. I find the song OK in the right context, but its languid sound isn't helping lift this one off the ground. The outfits are sexless. And it's rather like viewing a terrestrial version of synchronized swimming, so it's only elevated on to the watchability scale because it's Legs & Co. Even the girls look a little bored.

Well intended, but a bit of a flop. 5/10  DOTD Long-legged Rosie

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

PaulF
After reassessment I find that Ryan was right and it was Patti who put the most effort into the toe wriggling. I would therefore like to change my vote for DOTD to Patti and apologise to her for a near misscarriage of  justice due to incorrect toe indentification. I will pay more attention in the future
Paul

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Old Bill
A nice dance that livens up a dull song. Although some of the floor-based movements are a little peculiar.

Normally I'm not a fan of the barefoot dances, or ones that lack close-ups and looks to camera but this is not bad.

Isn't the swastika a Hindu symbol of well-being and internal energy? I'm sure people who are into their meditation know all about that.

A 7.5/10 and Lulu for DotD for the most laid-back toe-wriggling.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Lookmacinanger
Well it seemed like January ‘79 blistering start had to come to a halt eventually and what better way to wind down than with some Cool Mediation.
The challenges posed by a reggae track have been discussed fully before and Legs and Co can do no more than produce a pleasant but sedate routine to Third World.
The designer must have taken on board my concerns as this week they provide a creative, relevant and unobtrusive set. 7/10 Dotd, Rosie

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

SuPaLu
It's all rather unexciting to me,both the song and the dance.Still,they can't be brilliant all the time.7/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

VintageVideos
I don't like this at all. The music is boring, the set is, err, a matter of taste, the dresses are plain and simple, and the dance itself is not very exciting. The whole meditation idea doesn't appeal to me and either puts me to sleep or keeps me fumbling for the stop button.

5 / 10

DotD: Lulu

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Mikey
An odd mishmash of things here that don't really bring much excitement to this viewer. I actually think a full floor based routine might have worked well here but the constant stand up-sit down interupts the flow, so it ends up looking like a weird PE class. I did like the shuffling on the bums bits though, although i'm not sure there is a dance term for that move. The tempo of reggae clearly does not make it easy to form a routine to, so it seems an odd choice for Flick to have to use, but its quite a nice song all the same. Will give it 6/10 DOTD Rosie.

Re: COOL MEDITATION -- [January]

Adorable Gillusion
2/10  DOTD...Rosie
12