Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twilight

Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twilight

This is an experimental thread to see if anyone is interested. If enough interest is shown we can go through to 1984.

The ideas is I will post close up pictures of the Cheerleaders and Zoo and see if it's possible to work out who was on the show. Also comments on the Zoo routine can be made.

TOTP 5th November 1981

Zoo Danced To:
ELO- Twilight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8db9ZtC6dM

My initial impression when I saw this is what a complete mess. Thank God they got better.

Zoo Credited (#=named in pictures)
Wesley
# Anita Mahadervan
Tony
# Sharon Haywoode
Radford Quist
# Julie Harris
Christine (possibly the blonde in red)

Spotted Cheerleaders
Mark Rowan
Grant Santino

1.
Julie, ?, Anita
Radford, ?
Sharon, ?, ?

Left middle is probably Radford

2. ?, ?

3. ?, ?

4. Julie, ?, Anita
Radford, ?

5. ?, Sharon

6. ?, Julie

7. Julie, ?, ?, Anita

8. ?, ?

9. ?, ?

10. ?

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Yes a neat idea Doc giving Zoo some later publicity. After five years of our favourites Legs & Co i guess the new group had an hard act to follow. I agree that their debut routine did appear to be very disjointed and if the truth be told on further views it doesn't really improve.

I do remember being more interested in the cutey in gold who was on the peripheral of the routine, i suppose she was whats became known as a `Cheerleader`. I believe you have her listed as number 10 on your picture list.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

I think in 1, 4 and 6 the man is Wesley.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

PattiForPM
It would be easy to gain vascular access to Peter

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Colm
Middle right in 1, and on the left of the grab in 3 and 5, is Radford Quist.

In the cheerleading lines, I can spot Mark Rowan, in a matching leather waistcoat and trousers, and Grant Santino, who Pete briefly interviews after he moves to the funkier single version of ABC's "Tears Are Not Enough".

That annoying guy in the Superman suit was a regular cheerleader at the time; he's the same guy in the Hawaiian shirt who stands beside Sue during the "Ossie's Dream" performance.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
By a process of deduction I'm guessing that the lady in red is Christine.

Also comments on the Zoo 'performance' are welcome, you can rate it if you want, but someone else will have to keep track of them.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

PattiForPM wrote
It would be easy to gain vascular access to Peter
Plus it's an awful outfit!

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
In picture 1, from the twilight performance it looks like a cheerleader managed to gate crash the picture as there are too many men, only 3 were credited

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Colm wrote
Middle right in 1, and on the left of the grab in 3 and 5, is Radford Quist.
Having been in contact with Anita about the group shot, she has identified Radford Quist as being the chap on the left of the middle row with the raised clenched fist. In addition, she positively identified Julie and Sharon (or 'Sid' as she called her) but can't put a name to the rest.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
I suspect the other guy is Tony of Tony and Pinkie fame.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Ah, my bad. I thought his face was more similar in appearance to Wesley Pestano's.

As the two remaining male dancers who feature prominently in this routine are white, neither can be Pinky's mate Tony.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
Legs fan has claimed that one of the white guys was Wesley, so I suspect that's wrong as well.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Well, this is Wesley from 19/11/81

Wesley, Pinki and Tony are credited 17/12, probably for the Godley and Crème bit. I've not got the video ready to get screen grabs yet. But here's a you tube grab:

I'm surprised 'The Bride' didn't get a credit.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

AC/PD
LegsFan was half right then.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
Not even a 1/3 right, he's not in 4 or 6.

Oh and LOL!

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Legsfan
Well, I can tell you that the lady with the biggest smile is Anita, for obvious reasons

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
Is it only Ryan that has something to say about the Twilight routine?

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Gorgeous Daze
Doc wrote
Is it only Ryan that has something to say about the Twilight routine?
Not anymore.

I think it's an ambitious big statement of a routine, a large cast for mass introductory purposes and overly busy to really stamp a clean break from anything that's gone before. All driven along by a woefully underrated single from the Time album, a record which many an ELO fan felt betrayed by owing to its synthy sound.  The routine was too overwhelming to be an immediate success, but now it can be replayed at one's pleasure though the flow isn't all it might be the intricacies can be appreciated properly. Though it is decidedly Marmite. Zoo continued on an uncharted course but nothing was quite as OTT as this again.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

AC/PD wrote
Having been in contact with Anita about the group shot, she has identified Radford Quist as being the chap on the left of the middle row with the raised clenched fist. In addition, she positively identified Julie and Sharon (or 'Sid' as she called her) but can't put a name to the rest.
To paraphrase a Thatcherite contemporary British Gas campaign, we should be seeing 'Sid' when we get to summer 86. Here's the floral recipient in HQ on another show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRfFpeA5ODg

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

AC/PD
Yes, not your archetypal 'Sid' is she. Can't see her running a cafe.
I have a memory of watching Haywoode perform Roses on Pebble Mill back in the day, possibly on a 'heavy cold' schoolday.
Here's the official video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_aam3tDci8
Spot the 'Leg'.
12