Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twilight

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Gorgeous Daze
Well that certainly beats the grim corridors of a typical 80s comp! Though whatever the reason for your absence it was probably better mid-summer to rely on that other great fallback the upset stomach.

Love Shaz's (unsatisfactory too) dress and nice to know they were still mates by the looks of things.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
To help (or not) with the IDs, here's Pinki and Tony in 1981 with Kelly Marie.

and from Twilight, I think this is Tony.

Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Doc wrote
Is it only Ryan that has something to say about the Twilight routine?
Not anymore.

I think it's an ambitious big statement of a routine, a large cast for mass introductory purposes and overly busy to really stamp a clean break from anything that's gone before. All driven along by a woefully underrated single from the Time album, a record which many an ELO fan felt betrayed by owing to its synthy sound.  The routine was too overwhelming to be an immediate success, but now it can be replayed at one's pleasure though the flow isn't all it might be the intricacies can be appreciated properly. Though it is decidedly Marmite. Zoo continued on an uncharted course but nothing was quite as OTT as this again.
I suspect Hurll wanted something that would metaphorically smack the viewer in the face. It certainly did that to me back in 1981 and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Gorgeous Daze
Doc wrote
I suspect Hurll wanted something that would metaphorically smack the viewer in the face. It certainly did that to me back in 1981 and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Yes I've little doubt it got the Hurll seal of approval, but I imagine at this initial stage at least the concept was largely Flick's.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twighlight

Doc
It's interesting to note that Hurlls concept of dancers everywhere and the 'party' atmosphere had largely been rejected by the end of 1984. Other than the cheerleaders appearing at the end of the show the rest of the program looked more like it did in the late Robin Nash era with a few more videos added.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twilight

Anita's confirmation means 'Left middle' is no longer a question mark.

Re: Cheerleaders and Zoo in close up 05/11/81 Twilight

Doc
I know. I was just waiting for him to crop up in later show.
Good to see Lloyd back!
12