Cherry on The Good Old Days Solved - Can't be shown on BBC 4

Cherry on The Good Old Days Solved - Can't be shown on BBC 4

It was bought to my attention on BBC Four's Twitter that someone was raving about the 31/12/78 Good Old Days which made me realise they were going in chronological order... well last year you might remember that BBC Four incorrectly listed Cherry's Good Old Days, well remember I said about them going in chronological order.
BBC Four are now in 1979 starting with the 11/01 this Friday. After checking the BBC website next Fridays is the 25/01, so where is Cherry's 18/01 episode???!!
Wiped? Lost? Stolen? Yewtree'd?

We are being robbed of a chance to see the legendary Cherry Gillespie on BBC Four.
Why have they skipped this particular episode?

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Dancer
Who else was in the line up Legs fan?  I have always wondered where Cherry's episode is.  She really is a lovely person to talk to.  Really miss our chats.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Here you go Dancer

Thursday, 18th January 1979

Old-Time Music-Hall from the stage of the famous City Varieties Theatre, Leeds.

For your delectation and delight, your Chairman Leonard Sachs introduces
Frankie Howerd, Helen Gelzer
Wayne Sleep, Cherry Gillespie, Sandy Powell , Lyne Barel

The Nigel Brooks Barbershop Four Members of the Players' Theatre, London:
JENNY WREN , NORMAN WARWICK l, JENNY TILL, DERYK PARKIN
PENNY RIGDEN, CHRISTOPHER WREN
SUZANNE ROBERTS , PETER SUTHERLAND
Choreography DOREEN HERMITAGE

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Dancer
Many thanks Legsfan.  Quite a line up there.  I have to admit I have never watched it.  I tend to take the mickey out of it on Twitter and so do a lot of others.  I have always looked at the lineup in the TV guide and just looked for Cherry's episode.

I noticed Frankie Howerd is on there.  Could it be they cannot show it because of him?  Just a thought.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Old Grey Whistler
Dancer wrote
I noticed Frankie Howerd is on there.  Could it be they cannot show it because of him?  Just a thought.
No I honestly don't think it has anything to do with him.
Maybe the tape has been wiped or lost or mislabelled or isn't in a good enough condition for broadcast.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Old Grey Whistler wrote
No I honestly don't think it has anything to do with him.
Maybe the tape has been wiped or lost or mislabelled or isn't in a good enough condition for broadcast.
Now i can well understand mislabeling, but really, were the BBC so inept in 1979 that they were still wiping. Have anymore later Good Old Days suffered this fate, im not sure ? If so then fine, thats more than likely the reason.

For my money i dont think that Dancer is to far out in his theory. It could be somebody on the show undertakes an act that the over-sensitive BBC deem unsuitable for a 2017 audience, but was deemed simple innocent variety back in 1979. Maybe the act went on for 5 minutes or so and cutting it out of the show would be to much of a break.

For example, would they show a performer to be `blacked up` to a current day 2017 audience, back in the 70s this wasn't questioned at all. Jokes & songs that were okay then are now considered minefields. Id say everything on these shows is scrutinized incase something gets through that could cause offence to the odd inspecting viewer who switches over to BBC4 to see what went down for entertainment in the olden days.

I can't see them pulling the whole programme if there was just one offensive act or joke. Judging by the number of performers that were credited, they could remove it without making much difference to the shows length. We know it was billed to be shown a couple of years ago in error, so it has more than likely been filed in the wrong place within the BBC's vault.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Old Grey Whistler wrote
I can't see them pulling the whole programme if there was just one offensive act or joke.
True, though the point i was trying to get over was that if one act was done up like say for example a Black & White Minstrel then that whole scene would have to be culled. Remember that the entire shows acts always come back at the end also, so the finale scene couldn't be screened as well, rendering the show pretty much useless to a modern day audience.

As for filing in the wrong place in the vault. Well the staggering ineptitude of these people knows no bounds, so yeah, that also must be a consideration.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

zenon
The BBC stopped routinely wiping their shows in early 1978 so it's likely legal or faulty reasons preventing Cherry's episode being shown.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

I didn't realise that the acts came back for the finale.  I agree that would make it awkward for the likes of the minstrels to appear. To be honest I have never watched an episode of this show although I remember that my parents used to watch it.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Dancer
I am pretty sure it is because of Frankie.  His partner is/was very cautious what went out about him.  Likewise I have never seen the programme but I would put money on that it is Frankie.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Doc
The chances are that the BBC don't know where the show is or they think they've already shown it.  A year or so back it was listed as the weeks show on all the TV guides and Iplayer, but another programme was shown instead.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Willoway
Only a guess but the song sung by Wayne Sleep/Cherry is "I love a piano" - without being a regular viewer, I suspect most songs on the shows have either long-dead or unknown composers; however I love a piano was done by Irving Berlin, who's estate should still getting fees for his songs as he only died 30 years ago. So maybe the royalties exceed the budget for the programme.

I did check, Wayne is still appearing on BBC programmes so he hasn't fallen out with the BBC over rights to old shows etc.

...is she really going out with him?

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Legsfan
I'm doing some behind the scenes investigations, so if I have any answers I will let you all know, but I think that they have mislabled it when digitally preserving the file. When the BBC digitalise the tapes do they bin them to free up space? If so it could be lost forever if someone had put the wrong date on another episode then binned the original

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Mikey
Did you find anything further on this Legsfan?

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Legsfan
Sorry no. My investigations are still ongoing, but I should find out soon.
The TVBrain doesn't have it listed as missing, so there must be a complicated reason why it was not shown.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

SuPaLu
I got an email from Cara Boyd from the BBC enquires team and she says it could very well be repeated in the future sometime.She's not saying it is lost,wiped or banned.

Thanks for the info Glenn. I really hope it is shown at least once.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Mikey
BBC4 are skipping another edition 8/2/79, so perhaps the issue with the Cherry one is not an isolated case.

Re: Cherry on The Good Old Days SKIPPED??!!

Legsfan
I have just heard back from someone who was given this explaination as to why the episode with Cherry was skipped.

Thank you for contacting us regarding The Good Old Days on BBC Four.

We’re sorry to hear that you were unhappy that the 18/01/79 episode has not been included in the repeats of this series.

We contacted the relevant team on your behalf, who explained that before we can repeat programmes such as this, it’s necessary to obtain clearance with the writers, actors and other contributors who were originally involved.

They confirmed that unfortunately this episode contained scripted material that was difficult to clear for a repeat broadcast.

We appreciate that this will be a disappointment to you and we’re sorry that we’re unable to help further.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

It looks like Cherry's Good Old Days will NEVER be shown on BBC Four.
Such a huge disappointment.