Cherry tape

rexrook
This post was updated on .
a friend has offered Dee Dee 300 pounds per lost clip from the
cherry tape, but not received a reply.

the cherry tape is about 2 hours long with just pans clips
incl,

down down (status quo) TOTP 1974

daydreamer (d cassidy) TOTP 1974

get down tonight (kc sunshine band) TOTP 1974

rebel rebel (or fame) (bowie) TOTP 1974

walk in the night (jnr walker) TOTP 1973
(poss on totp2 between 1994-2000 aswell
according to gary horsman, which would mean
bbc might have the cherry tape buried in archive somewhere)

boogie on reggae woman (s wonder) TOTP 1975

island girl (e john) TOTP 1975

plus 2 other dances, the one in big white hats,
& the stockings/suspenders one, both 1974/75 with Sue.

Dee Dee also has rarities from Flicks collection inc
jimmy mack & montego bay, TOTP 1970

other pans members like Cherry & poss Sue may still have cherry tape too.

the cherry tape was a leaving gift to Cherry in 1976 from
Grant Watkins, a bbc vt editor who Sue will remember well!
Grant also made the mash up of legs & co to the Racey song.
If he was still alive i'm sure he would have some interesting
stories to tell too.

it is currently believed the bbc dont have a copy of this tape
(the archive is being cross checked for it at this time)
which contains the 10 lost dances, so it would be very important
a copy is made for the archive otherwise they will be lost forever!

nb when 'dancing queens' was being made in 1993 Flick
did mention all the lost stuff she had, but didnt want to give the
bbc copies as theyd been so stupid to wipe their copies.
she did allow the use of some inc short snippets of jimmy mack
& others for the programme.

ps well done to gary h for checking bfi about lost totp from 21.11.73
which should inc pans dancing to 'keep on truckin'. may not be at bbc
archive yet but will be very soon.

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
Hi rexrook ,how great it would be to view these routines again ,it would be like a dream come true if ever these routines saw the light of day though ,but on the more positive side ,YMG from this forum said he has got the full version of the rare jimmy mac clip ,and ryans  says his friend has got the rare 1970 clip of spirit in the sky ,both of these clips ive not seen and are reported wiped from the bbc archives ,so heres hoping that more turn up

Re: Cherry tape

Suefan
It would indeed be great to see any of these clips but I'm not convinced airing other peoples negotiations is going to help move proceedings along.  Frozen bulls and china shops come to mind but hey ho.

A few of the above dates need a bit of tweaking.  I'm guessing the big white hats refers to their original "Your The First The Last...." from Nov '74.  Any other clues re. the stockings/suspenders ref as there were a few to choose from.  No sign of "Dance Wit Choo" or the original "Barbados" in full but some corkers in that list.  Fingers crossed then.

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
so is it correct then ,that pans people did perform to david cassidy daydreamer ,i was never sure about this ,so if anyone can now confirm this i can add it to the 73 database ,

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
i wonder how ymg managed to get his hands on the rare routine of jimmy mac

Re: Cherry tape

rexrook
This post was updated on .
no one has the full jimmy mac apart from dee dee, babs, ruth, louise & poss cherry
who wouldve all got copies personally from flick.

as for negotiations i was told there hasnt really been any yet & might never be any, as previous
attempts to get these returned to the bbc over many many years have met with no results,
which is exactly the reason for mentioning here. good luck!

Re: Cherry tape

rexrook
ps if its necessary to remove my post to not derail
any negotiations currently underway by other fans
then i can do that no probs.

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
Thanks for that valuable bit of info rexrook ,i shall now be intereted in what ymg means then by telling me he has got the full routine ,he told me the reason he had not posted it yet was because it wasnt of very good quality ,he was waiting for a better version to come a long ,but if not he would post that ,infact i would like to know where another of those wiped routines eg disco stomp ,that was said to be posted by a member has got to ,ive never seen them posted on here

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
YMG ,says on page 4 of the thread of saying hi ,from dee dee wilde ,that he has got a very low quality clip but he will put it in the queue to post ,that was in may

Re: Cherry tape

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I know Jez, sorry it's taking me so long. I have to dig out the clip from my archive, but from memory, it was pretty ropey, so please don't get your hopes up too high.

I'm just too budy right now to spend any time on fun things like OFTD, I'm afraid. I'll hopefully get back to posting clips in a week or so, when the hectic work dies down.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Cherry tape

Boogiebox
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
i was unsure myself if pans had danced to david cassidy ,daydreamer coz i dont remember watching that episode of totp ,but suefan says they did ,so that is proof enough for me to list it ,this is another clip that would be great to view

Re: Cherry tape

Suefan
Jez, I've been Daydreaming the afternoon away hoping you might be able to exercise your beguiling charm on Dee Dee.  I've no idea who rexrook is, the originator of this thread, but I've heard it from a good authority that the basic detail, if not some of the dates, contained in the original post are correct meaning there are several goodies in that particular Cherry trifle.

Re: Cherry tape

Boogiebox
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Cherry tape

rexrook

yes the 'island girl' on the tape is the actual broadcasted clip
& the whole tape is in broadcast quality with dj intros!

the stockings clip is dated 15th october 1974 but i cant remember what the song was, any ideas?

Re: Cherry tape

rexrook

Re: Cherry tape

rexrook
i dont think DD knows that some stuff on the cherry tape is not existing at the bbc.

if she did & wanted to save them for future viewers she might be inclined
to let them make a copy. i dont think the offer of 300 per clip made any impact,
& that was to just to let the bbc make copies. would a higher offer make any
difference, cant say!

also if anyone recalls the rough date of the totp2 show allegedly with 'walk in the night'
& pans please say, as it would help to check if the bbc have the cherry tape too.

or if anyone knows gary horsman (gary h) from the pans people forum ask him, maybe he can remember.

Re: Cherry tape

Hi Rexrook, you're pic is interesting to say the least.  If from Oct 14 1974 the surrounding routines on TOTP at this time were (according to our worthy Database maker Jez) "I Get a Kick out of You" by Gary Shearston (Oct 11), perhaps Slim Whitman's "Happy Anniversary" (not yet confirmed for Oct 17, but in these costumes it would be a happy anniversary for any man) and "Let's Put It All Together" by the Stylistics from Oct 24 and "Da Doo Ron Ron" from Oct 31 (seems a little far ahead but I recall someone saying that this was a memorable routine so perhaps...).

For what it's worth my opinion is that we are more likely to see the Cherry Tape if Dee Dee or the other dancers feel it is of general value to release it rather than expecting them to respond to a bidding war.  I think the relationship between the Dancers/Flick and the Beeb has not been trouble-free but this is only my impression.  There have certainly been reports that Flick was peeved at the wiping of shows (as indeed are the rest of us) and that the Dancers/Choreographer were not always treated with the respect they obviously deserve.  Maybe I'd be reluctant to give stuff to the BBC in these circumstances too.  Perhaps they see these tapes as more of a personal memento and this might be why we are not seeing them either given that I'm sure whoever has these tapes is now well aware of the demand for them from at least a select band of guys.

Re: Cherry tape

JEZ
i remember long ago in 1992 dee dee ,louise and babs were on this morning tv programme ,and it was said by the girls that a video of pans was going to be released to the public ,so i would imagine this was their own personal video clips they were gonna use ,because no mention of it being a bbc venture ,nothing happened ,as ive always been one to keep an eye out for any dancing girls or totp video or later dvd releases ,i remember then in 1993 contacting dee dee via letter at her dance attic studios in putney to ask if the video was still going ahead ,and i think it was a company called valentine music that was gonna put it out ,but dee dee said they could not get the rights to a lot of the music ,and even if they did it would work out too expensive ,so unless things have changed ,unless the clips were only used for private use ,i dont think they would be available for general use ,unless the bbc had them back and decided to release a dvd

Re: Cherry tape

PattiforPM
Good point Jez.  Although general release for sale might be legally dodgy I'm sure returning the tape to the BBC Archive would still be possible if they wanted to do this though as the same argument applies to all the Shows already in the Archive.