Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

NIPPLE TO THE BOTTLE Television dance/performance number one (err i think) by the troupe formally known as Legs & Co !. Though were they still called Legs & Co when they did that Video Entertainers thing for Granada in 1982, i think they were.
Performed by Grace Jones and reaching number 3 in the New Zealand singles charts !
Original broadcast date Early one morning, sometime in 1983
Duration of dance --  2.11 mins, should have gone on longer, but we were rudely interrupted by a image of the former Labour Chancellor Dennis Healy.
Dancers --  Lulu, Patti, Sue, Tanya, Trisha.
A link to the dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_cwZq4qP4

   Well what a lovely surprise for all of us to come across this. Thanks to all concerned for bringing it to our attention, and how refreshing it is to find its not going to be locked away in some vault somewhere were only a privileged few can see it.
   Judging by the performance, the girls here seemed more raunchy than what we were used to seeing them like on TOTPs, indeed that was also true in their other ITV performance the previous year. Tanya & Trisha seem to be very adequate replacements, both girls most attractive and yes, i agree with LNV, Trisha does resemble Cherry.
   Spokeswoman Sue looks a whole lot different with her new hair, makes her look a touch younger. Talking of age, evergreen Patti still radiates that same sex appeal as she did back in the day. As for Lulu, shes so different from the innocent young girl from 7 years ago, still only 23, she should have had years of dancing left in her, but that wasn't to be.
   Nick Owen seemed to be very excited by it all, it was almost like hed never seen dancing girls before. Anyway the actual dance was so sexy, as were the costumes.

DOTD--Well it has to be `Sue`, not only for her centrally positioned role in the dance, but for her eloquent tones during her interview.

Rating--10 out of 10, well what else could i give this long lost footage.
This is just a bit of fun, the ratings & Dotd wont go on to any scoreboards, but id like to hear your thoughts and ratings on this excellent find.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

PattiforPM
How great to see this post-TOTPs performance appear and yes thanks to all involved in its emergence.  I love Sue's new edgy hairstyle and the mature and more worldy-wise appearing Lulu is an interesting evolution too.  If Patti gets any more sexy I'll have to give up work and she gives a great performance here.  The Sue interview confirms our impression of her intelligent delivery and informative answers and now she is clearly the spokeswoman as LNV noted.  The Dance is raunchy and inventive and I'd be interested to know who choreographed it.  I think Sue said Floid did some choreography and this does have some later Hot Gossip-ish elements but I'm not sure and its overall a very good 80s post-legs performance and the two newbies seem to fit right in.  If only we could see more of this group and BTW what name did come out of this phone-in I wonder.  Anyway I'd give it 9/10 and yes Sue has to be DotD for me although the T,I,A and P keys were aching to be pressed.  I wonder if Sue has noticed this appear yet?

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Andeebee
Wow that was quick, just popped it up with minor tweaks and colour correction....and Ryan has it up

Nice to hear Sue speak so elegantly, and nice to see this from as late as 1983, only others from that time are from Granada TV The Video Entertainers.

Not as polished as a Flick routine, but clearly not a bad stab from 5 girls hardly wearing any clothes....now gonna go off and ring that number to cast my vote.

DOTD: Nick Owen!!! ha no Sue

9.7 just for the ridiculous leeching interview from said Mr Owen, and yes P4PM Patti looks amazing...

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Andeebee
broadcast date is 19/5/83 and time is 12.00 midday

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

bucksby
a definate 9 and Sue is DOTD. I agree with what everyone has said about Patti, she looks amazing considering she was around 33. Sue is a great leader also. Love the outfits. I would love to know what happened to the other 2 girls. I can't help thinking one of the girls looks like one of the cheerleaders on TOTP around 83/84 but could be wrong

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

PaulF
10/10 for this footage, DOTD Sue so graceful and stylish during the interview and the dance. It would be interesting to find what name was chosen and how long they remained together. I wonder who would know ?
Paul

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

I take it that no new name had ever emerged for Legs & Co., as that name was still used during their subsequent reunions for television much later on, as for Top Of The Pops:-A True Story,  in 2000, I wonder if 'Forbidden Fruit' was one of the names rejected in the original naming competition.
Anyways, I rambling on, so as for the actual interview, & dance routine as featured in this clip, naturally Sue's their official spokeswoman, the two new dancers Tanya & Trisha, have defiantly got what it takes aesthetically, & they'd be worthy TOTPs dancers.
There's a contemporary '80s dress-code, as would be expected, but which looks to be of it's time nowadays, fairly regular-type dance moves, you can imagine them being led by 'Mad' Lizzie doing an aerobics work-out in front of the cameras.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

AC/PD
Well, this is a real step into the 80's for Legs & Fruit, and the overall, style and routine convinces me that the troupe WOULD have worked as regular, weekly dancers on the rejuvenated party-atmosphered Top Of The Pops. Hitherto unknowns Tanya and Trisha look the part, notching up the results of the 'girl with the best legs' competition to a dead heat between all five of them.
Sue's off-the-ears hair really suits her and gives her a pixieish air, whilst Lulu still has 'that look' albeit with greater confidence and self-assurance. Anyone else notice they were standing in an order where the Ra-Ra skirts went from mauve to pink, left to right?
There's a really strong 80's sound to the Grace Jones track they dance to and the moves are effortlessly sexy, aided and abetted by relatively stern expressions, although Lulu breaks into that familiar smile of hers.
Thanks to Gary, SuPaLu and Dave for helping to bring this rarity (the last ever TV appearance?) to OFTD's.
9/10
DOTD: Sue

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Andee, that 12:00 is merely a generic time.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Perhaps it's L&C's last UK TV performance, but not their last ever televised spot; there's at least one performance from Ireland's RTÉ from the summer of 1983 that I'm aware of - and according to the RTÉ Picture Archive, they were billed as Legs and Co on that performance.

Reference: http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Legs-amp-Co-td2078716i260.html

And would you get sultry dance routines to a song with the word "nipple" on breakfast television these days?

Honorary Dancer of the Morning is Sue - for the eloquent responses to Nick Owen's questions and that nice kick alongside the spin.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Old Bill
Well, firstly 10/10 for the find. And always nice to hear voices as well as see legs.

Sue is so eloquent - such a pro, and so comfortable in front of the mic, as well as in front the camera.

But is all so 80s. My least favourite decade. You can understand why they want to change, indeed even had to change. But the 80s Hot Gossip raunchy smoldering forbidden style isn't really my cup of tea. Although the "tutu-spectrum" was nice!
Like Andee says, it's obviously not a Flick routine, but it is still quite hard to tell how they would've turned out if we'd seen more them, dancing for more than a minute to some better songs than this Jones nonsense.

I must say I'm not crazy about the dance itself, but I'm not saying it's not very good - just not my thing.

Although watching the clip is lovely, and the contrast between the girls' frillies and Nick's woolies can't help but make one smile, the whole thing makes me a little melancholy. Here are our favourites, dropped from the Pops due to changing tastes but no matter - they want to carry on. And they're trying. New members, name, getting publicity, new choreographer (presumably), new management (Lulu?) - they really want to give a go. But they just seem to end do cabaret and very little more TV work.

I'd really like to know what became of all this, what name they got/were given/chose and how long they carried on for, and what eventually did cause them to quit. Did the cabaret stuff dry up or did they get fed up of the endless travelling...?

Anyways, I'll stick with the TEN. Just for Sue's "Good morning!", Lulu's little Lulu-smile and the director lingering on Patti. And for their spirit!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Suefan
Yes top marks for this interesting find.   New experiences and new dance worlds to conquer.  Other than trying to think of a new name, which does seem to be a difficult thing to do, it must have been an exciting time.  The edgy feel to this dance is great although I wouldn't want it every time, but I reckon that was the point, to explore the diversity of dance in different ways.  An 8 from me although I can't decide whether I like Sue's modified hairstyle or not.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Who's That Hurll
This is a colourful and raunchy routine to one of Grace Jones's lesser hits. The title (could make a joke here, but this for family viewing) of the song leads to grabbing of appropriate areas on the costume and there's plenty of hair shaking and hip swivelling on show. Lulu is starting to look like a proper rock chick - ideal for revisiting a certain Ram Jam track!. I like new girl Trisha's look to the camera at the start during the interview and the steely glare towards the end(3.54), although she does get cut adrift from the other four at times(i.e. 3.10). Sue is in control for the interview, but when it comes to Dancer of the Day there's no doubting who has taken the lead and that is a certain mature, smouldering Miss Hammond. 8.75/10

p.s. could this be added to a Miscellaneous or Zoo/Miscellaneous comments section?.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Thanks for taking time to rate and give DOTDs for this. Its only a bit of fun but here are the results.

91.45 out of 100 gives this an average of 9.15 out of 10. Interestingly this would slot this in at number 4 in the charts on the overall Legs & Co leaderboard.

As for DOTD, well Sue almost made a clean sweep, 9 nominations out of 10. Only the seasoned Patti prevented a full house.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Lookmacinanger
 Well if I had known this was on TV-am back in May ’83 I think I would have missed the bus and been late for school!

The spine of the team looks as good as ever with Lulu, Patti and Sue all showing subtle changes in their appearances from their final days on TOTP. Trisha and Tanya look like two worthy additions to the line-up and I hope they enjoyed their time with Legs and Co.

Always enjoy Grace Jones tracks with their edgy style and attitude which made her standout from her peers. The routine looks a great fit to the music and shows us all what we were missing when Legs and Co no longer appeared regularly on TV.  9/10, Dotd well I did like what I saw of Trisha

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

I have to admit, the two `T` girls look ideal and certainly wouldn't have looked out of place if they around back in 76 (which they obviously wernt) and were given the nod back then from Flick. But which two would have missed out ? There i go, trying to rewrite history again.

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Andeebee
still undecided with Sue's hairdo in this......

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

An interesting point which raises another hypothetical issue - if L&C survived the October '81 cull and stayed under the wing of Flick as TOTP's resident dance troupe, would Trisha and Tanya have been part of the evolving line-up to replace the departures of Rosie, then Gill, then Anita?

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Andeebee
food for thought Colm, and I think one that could deserve a thread, but it was attempted not long ago with the what would of happened if Lee & Mary stayed on with Ruby Flipper scenario

Re: Comments/ratings etc on fruit that isnt forbidden !

Colm
You're right Andee, I think it's best to let history stand.
12