DANCING IN THE CITY -- [June]

DANCING IN THE CITY  Dance/performance number 108 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Marshall Hain  and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  22/06/78  Duration of song/dance --  2.38 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 103     Gill 98
Rosie 100         Lulu 97
Sue 99           Patti 97

So Rosie becomes the second member of Legs & Co to notch up 100 TOTPs performances, well done to her.

A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23534l_legs-co-dancing-in-the-city-totp-tx-22-06-1978-20-07-1978_creation

Our own Funky Felines are on top form in this, oozing sex appeal right from the very start. Excellent choice of costumes. The leopard skin leotards really highlight the girls bodies, i only just noticed how well toned Lulu is, just look at her legs, much more shapely now shes a little older. Talking of the girls bodies, just check out Gill gyrating those hips, super hot. I quite like the way the girls have their own individual moves in this, Sue with her cute finger biting is rather good.

Once again DOTD is tricky. But ive been seduced once again by `sing-along-a-Lulu`, her little solo secured my vote for her.

Not a bad song, and the female singer is a bit of a looker too. For my rating, im going to say `9.25 out of 10`, it was a super sexy dance.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Andeebee
Such a hard decision for the dancers to choose from, Rosemary looks fab, sing-along Lulu is maturing into a confident sexy woman, Gill and her booby jiggle, but who melts my heart is the finger in the mouth little girl lost look of Sue......grrrrrr, cold shower time for Mr ADB

Nice routine very very sexy girls. bit of bad editing of the song, but overall a nice a fitting 10/10

DOTD: Sue (see above)

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

I love this one.  Sexy ladies dressed to thrill and dancing with smooth aplomb.  I like the song too.  Difficult to choose a DotD in the extreme and Patti in that low set Fedora is ultra-foxy but I'm giving this one to Pauline who has a really nice solo and looks the biz all the way through this one.  The whole Troupe is delectable here though and it's surely no accident that this was chosen to introduce them on ANt and Dec 25 years later.  There it is then, Pauline for DotD and 10/10 with no hesitation for one of Legs' highlights for me.  Thanks once again to Flick and the Ladies for a memorable performance.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

When reviewing the 1978 canon a few months ago, I was going to pick Gill for this routine to one of the best pop songs of 1978 IMO on the basis of her shimmies in the choruses alone.

However, on re-evaluation, I'm awarding DotD status to Pauline, as her part-solo in the first verse is gorgeous, well-executed and topped with that precious smile.

I agree with the comments so far on how the troupe are on top form here, which is reflected in my score of 10.

Also, congratulations to Rosie on a stunning century - perhaps next time she's on Siren FM, we could put in a request for them to play "Dancing in the City" to reflect it was her 100th dance; I might even prompt the guys there to get in on the system in good time!

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Paperboyplod
Another chance beckons then to make useage of a city-scape backdrop, it's dark so it must be nighttime, it's nearly summer so the dress code is rather revealing obviously, Legs & Co. have gone for what looks like leopard-print bikini tops, with cowgirl hats to quite literally top it all off, & they do a merry little dance to this one-hit-wonder of a track, it's just a shame that there wasn't a broad daylight theme instead, the darkness does impede visibility somewhat, & that does mar things for me.

7/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Are we seeing a literal routine?? Marshall Hain lyrics gently imply that someone need not be lonely on a trip to the city and if you are prepared to run down enough alleys you’ll find what you’re looking for!

Legs and Co absolutely nail this one and when it’s all put together we are privileged to one of the best from 1978. Dotd Gill 10/10 (I thought those hats looked like Fedoras). Well done Rosie on reaching your century of appearances.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Super hot is right.  A sizzling performance as Legs & Co go on the prowl which gets a 10 from me.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
Feline leotards, studded dog-collars, and red lipstick: you instantly know they mean business. The red sky shows day is turning into night, and six sex-kats have come out to prowl the urban jungle to this supreme disco warm-upper. The fedoras lend a touch of cool sophistication just to slightly offset what is Legs and Co at their most red-hot raunchy. I think the hat suits Patti the very best.

Soon Pauline provides a polished and sinuous solo with a crouching tigress interlude - 'come and get me then'. Sue is the embodiment of finger sucking suggestiveness, and Gill's giving us great  vibrations. I would imagine this is pushing right on the boundary of what the Beeb powers that were would accept. Lulu gets the second verse solo and continues to demonstrate the rich coming of age vein of form she was in. Rosie gives a lovely knowing beam. And whether it's ensemble parts or duo and trio vignettes this is Legs and Co at their very best.

DOTD Pauline. A purrfect 10/10.  Is this on its way to being the top-rated L & C routine? Does even Barbados have a challenger in the making?

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Yes GD, i am watching the ratings for this routine very closely. At the moment its only 0.01 behind forum favourite `Barbados` and consequently is the top of the Legs dances. Im delaying entering it onto the main scoreboards at the moment as only 8 sets of ratings are in, will wait till say ten sets of ratings have been cast.

Please can i ask any potential voters not to be influenced or swayed by the high ratings already cast. Please rate the routine how you see it.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

VintageVideos
I think this is called group dynamics, it's hard not to be manipulated by all those 10's. I might delay my rating until tomorrow.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Yes, although i rate this routine highly, im not sure 6 maximums out of 8 is how it should be. But the figures do not lie.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Don't worry, OFTDs medical team is on hand to treat those appropriately thilled by this performance and to offer blood testosterone testing to diagnose male menopause in those not sufficiently excited

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
I must admit I thought hard before giving it a ten for the reasons suggested above. Was I being swept up into hyperbole by the maximums already cast? So I watched it at least four more times after pencilling in a ten. There were still no flaws in my opinion and with the possible exceptions of Barbados and Let's All Chant (both of which I also gave tens to) no routines came to mind that I like even more.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

PattiforPM
Yes, being serious for another brief moment, I honestly find this a very entertaining performance and all the pieces fall together well - music, costumes, moves, style, camerawork etc.  For me it is more than worthy of a 10 and I think if you analyse my past marks you'll see I don't give out a whole lot of maximums.  Influence of other peoples' marks is an interesting point but I actually think people on here are comfortable enough and know each other online well enough to mark with honesty and without peer pressure for the most part.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

This extraordinary performance is borrowing a bit from the official promo video for this song:
 - Julian Marshall is wearing almost the same hat as Legs & Co.
 - Kit Hain has a cat (!) on her lap in the video

That being said I'd much rather watch our funky felines (love that name) in this ultra-sexy performance. I have never been a big fan of the song, it's not bad, but I think it slogs along a bit. But whatever's missing in the song is more than made up by our girls who are just sensational here, and I mean each and everyone of them. Pauline may be the star, but all the others are in top shape as well. The way they are all having their own individual moves and gestures here is very appealing, and the dresses are dream-like. I could watch this over and over again and never get tired of what I see.

I don't think I've ever before reflected such a long time about the rating for a routine, as I didn't simply want to follow the masses, but in the end there was no way to award anything less than

10/10

DotD: Pauline

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

I wonder why at the beginning of this `Top Pop` performance by Marshall Hain we get to see a dancer for about 15 seconds ? She had a look of Sue about her in her late Pans/Ruby Flipper time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYgLIicqus

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Andeebee
the same feline leotard and studded dog collar that Sue wears in that black and white promo shoot...

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Just need one more set of ratings and i will transfer this to the main leader board.

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Andeebee
can I vote again

Re: DANCING IN THE CITY -- 1978

Bravo Vin! It must have been even harder for you than me to be objective with an extra ten to follow and the associated discussion.