Quantcast

DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

    Dancing with the Captain was written by Dominic Bugati and Frank Musker, who were fairly prolific songwriters and later released an album together as The Dukes in 1982 and worked with such luminaries as Sheena Easton, Bucks Fizz and Brian May.  This song was the highest charting success for the universally liked (on OFTDs!) Paul Oscar Beuselinck and reached a creditable #8 in the UK.   I’ve already done Paul’s Bio so I won’t bore you again but will acknowledge that his success as a Producer/Director on Stage grossly exceeds his prowess as a Singer and Actor.  DWTC was also danced by Mary Corpe with the Second Generation and Him & Us on the Arrows Show so here we have another opportunity for direct comparison and I suspect an honest verdict might be a split vote this time (Mary looks particularly fetching IMHO).  Here are the links:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iW2bbHFzYIo

         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBPrQ9r52zQ

                 DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN       -       Paul Nicholas                      Oct 7th 1976

                                             DANCERS:      Lulu and Sue

       LINK:       http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x265qpn_ruby-flipper-dancing-with-the-captain-totp-tx-07-10-1976_creation______________________________________________________________________________________________

   This nautical number has Sue and Lulu dressed as the cutest Crew you’ll ever see and doing appropriately sea-going moves too.  Forgive me allowing my background to impinge here and say that I can’t quite ignore the thought that they both look like nurses to me and wouldn’t we all take that little bit longer to leave the Hospital if they were on Staff.   Getting back to the matter in hand, I quite like the jolly nature of the dancing and Mr Nicholas is less annoying than sometimes is the case here.  I see someone lost a game of Blokus on the Studio back wall before the Dancers came out and I think Mr Nicholas was an idiot to pass up our Dancers for a random Audience member but part of me is glad he did.  Thus I award 6.5/10  for this outing and of course there is no DotD here with only two dancers on display  (although if the German jury wants to start another contest that’s fine)

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Well you're quite correct P4PM, there was no need for the girl planted in the audience to receive the hand of the Captain, his two ship mates were doing a good enough job without her. Cant be sure, but is this the first time an audible noise was made by a member of Ruby Flipper. Listen and look out for the Woo made by Lulu as she and Sue see of the intruder to the stage at 2.15 mins. I must check the routines before to see if this is the first noise (probably not).

As for the performance, well anything with Sue and Lulu in full cutey-pie mode will get the thumbs up from me. They can climb my rope anytime !

`8.5 out of 10`.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

That's not a proper ship's captain's uniform there Paul, I don't know what you were thinking there, but anyways, Lulu, & Sue, way more than make up for Paul's fashion faux pas, they're looking rather elegant in their hostess outfits, & Paul seems to be enjoying their company, arguably a bit too much, & not content with all of that, he grabs a woman from the audience, & has a dance with her, but our girls seem to take it all in their stride @ least.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

For sure one of the better backing numbers.  I wonder how much was Flick's involvement in the direction here as I like the use of the camera to imitate the roll of the ship while Sue and Lulu look a million dollars in those cute outfits, which I for one would have been happy to have seen worn again in a full routine.  And both girls are clearly having such a good time that I'm giving this an 8.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

PaulF
Checked out the other versions but there is nothing so divine as our Lulu and Sue. 7/10
Paul

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

VintageVideos
It's no secret that I've never been a member of the PN fanclub but this one is definitely the best of the Beuselinck trilogy. Yeah it isn't half bad which means I can watch it from start to finish without the need to cringe. Sue & Lulu are always a fine pair, with Lulu still looking oh so young here while Sue is already the pro as we know her.
That being said it's also the best of Paul's songs, which is why I do not hesitate to give it a solid

7.5 / 10

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Old Grey Whistler
I don't think I would be being too controversial if I was to suggest that Paul Nicholas wasn't the greatest of singers but while I wouldn't buy any of his records, I don't mind him too much. His songs fell into an upbeat party category and I think there is room for that sort of song in the music world.
As for the dancing, well you can never go wrong with the Sue / Lulu  combination and while there is nothing too complex here, it makes for an enjoyable couple of minutes or so.
The score is 8 out of 10
The girls of course would be back on stage with Mr Nicholas within a few weeks as part of a brand new troupe (Now what were they called!) and looking somewhat different.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Gorgeous Daze
Wouldn't you love to strap Richard Jobson into a chair and force him to watch this for 24 hours non-stop, Clockwork Orange style?

It's those cute little sailor girl outfits that make this a success. Had the girls been in nautical jumpers and bell-bottoms we would have had them down from Lieutenants to Midshipwomen. And I think it's because of the costumes that all the actions to Mr Nicholas's would-be party song look cutesy and fun rather than twee. I like them coming to the front of the stage and doing the Almost Bump. The second time there's nearly a collision with the amused PN. Getting a girl from the audience up for a dance is typical 76, but I agree there's no call for it when the Captain's got this most able pair on board.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

We have two of Ruby Flipper backing Paul Nicholas on one of his pop songs. The two were Sue and Lulu in sailor costumes doing a sailors horn pipe movement to the song. Then for some reason in the middle of the song were he doesn't have to sing he chose a girl from the audience to dance with. His the man blind when you have Sue and Lulu dance with and they are right behind him. And by the way the ladies are great as usual.

The score 6 out of 10.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Colm
Quite jolly, that's all I can really say. Is this one of the few performances where the dance troupe appear to a live performance by the orchestra?

Score: 8

PS. Do I spot Pauline among the Second Generation in one of the other clips?

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

PattiForPM
Just want to say thanks to all those who have taken the time to comment on Dancing with the Capt so far.  Lulu and Sue are certainly a pair of vote-magnets and have boosted this performance considerably.  Colm I can't find Pauline in any of the Clips and didn't think she was in the 2nd Gen but maybe I'm mistaken.  I'm hoping there are more reviewers out there and, without mentioning any names, at least one of the previous Full House Clubbers is slipping (perhaps spending more time than he should tweaking )

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

bucksby
Lulu & Sue look fantastic. Nurses? No wonder you work in the medical profession! 7 for me.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

PattiForPM
Thanks for the vote Bucksby and yes I believe my career choice was sound for a number of reasons

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Mikey
Oh yeah, I love this!.......not!

This record reminds me of 'Kung Fu Fighting', but nowhere near as good, I do want to like it but its just overly chirpy and forced. The backing dancing by Lulu and Sue mirroring each other is the obvious saving grace (great outfits ladies), with some nice nautical moves that are integrated in.

Too much Paul and not enough Flippers and the dreaded tilting camera is back to make us seasick. A soggy 6/10

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

PattiForPM
Thanks for the review Mikey.  I have to say I'm right with you on the camera-tilting trick.  Even on the hallowed ground inhabited by Swing Your Daddy I am not so keen on the camera tilt but in that one it's just about the only thing I don't like whereas it often seriously detracts for me and in this case I agree it's not soothing at all, although it fits the Theme we must admit.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Maybe camera tilting should be on another thread, but i find the worst example of this is the Pans dance to `Machine Gun`. The camera slowly sways virtually 180 degrees and it does nothing to enhance the the viewing. I find my head turning sedately with it.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Mikey
You could do that in a wider context by looking at things that spoil perfectly good routines.

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

PattiForPM
I agree Mikey.  A list of spoiled delicacies is a good idea

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

Have we achieved ten sets of ratings for this nautical themed routine ?

Re: DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN

PattiForPM
12 by my count Ryan and it's in the Charts but I'd love more comments...