Quantcast

DISCO DUCK

   Yes, the Duck has landed.  Disco Duck was a big Novelty Disco hit for US DJ Rick Dees and his Cast of Idiots in 1976 reaching #1 in the US and #6 in the UK.   Mister Dees wrote the song and it took off very slowly, taking 3 months for anyone to agree to record it and then oddly being denied airplay on his own Station and on other Local Memphis Stations to avoid self-promotion and promoting the competition respectively.  Nevertheless it eventually caught fire and also appeared in the Saturday Night Fever Movie as backing to some old fogeys trying to learn to dance.  Tragedy struck again however when Mr Dees’ agent of the time refused to allow it to be included on the SNF Soundtrack Album for fear that it might interfere with the sales of Rick’s own Album.  Thus Disco Duck and Dr Disco were replaced by Jive Talking and Calypso Breakdown, enhancing the Album’s quality IMHO but not improving the Dees Bank Account.
    Nevertheless with syndicated Radio Shows “Weekly Top 40 Countdown” and “Daily Dees” running across the USA since 1983 and many accolades to his name Rick Dees has been no slouch in the Music Business and going to his glitzy Rick.com website allows one access to “Chef Boy R.Dees Recipe of the Day” and accessories such “Dees Sleaze” underwear and coffee mugs so this inventive chap is clearly doing OK despite those early challenges.

                    DISCO DUCK       -     Rick Dees and his Cast of Idiots

                             DANCERS:      Cherry, Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

             LINK:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x269m8d_ruby-flipper-disco-duck-totp-tx-23-09-1976_creation

       What to say about this Duck?  Oh come on it’s fun to watch and the Dancers play their parts with gusto.  It’s lovely to see those skimpy shorts and tops making a comeback on the four ladies and they’re all smiles. Cherry is least visible I believe and Lulu gets only a little more camera time but Sue and Patti are just great.  Phil provides good support but this is really the Floid Show and the guy does great work with this ham-bone role is right up his street.  Yes he gets my DotD and the end is a little messy but seems to suit the music and lyrics as everyone is supposed to be doing the Duck dance.  I’m giving this 7.5/10  but why do I feel a bit mean?  Maybe you can tell me friends…

Re: DISCO DUCK

Suefan
Unfortunately Dees Duck isn't a Donald Fauntleroy D, otherwise this would have been more to my taste!  As it is I dislike the song with a passion but that said there is no doubt that Flick has devised an interesting routine and Floid plays his part well to earn the accolade of Dotd.  The return of the ladies short shorts and tops helps the routine take off as they all look gorgeous, although I would agree that Cherry and Lulu are a little underdone.
As for a score I'm giving this only a 6.5 for while I do appreciate its plus points it isn't one that features on my menu very often.

Re: DISCO DUCK

PaulF
Terrible song, but just to see the girls strutting their stuff in that skimpy attire is worth a 7.
DOTD Sue
Paul

Re: DISCO DUCK

Andeebee
Mr Disco Duck himself Rick Dees, ha what about his other single 'Dis-Gorilla', man that guy churned them out with much aplomb, and much chagrin from the record buying public, but hey give him his due it's made him  money and a lasting legacy/epitaph of that guy who made that annoying crap record...

Oh this is one of my earlier memories of the dance troupes and one burnt forever into my mind for decades. Yes Disco Duck, the track that didn't make the SNF LP LOL. and haunted my dreams for years, and it took me to The Hustle to recover

I bet there was audible groans from the Flipper camp when this was announced, short straw poll taken......Floid falls fowl, and gets the duck outfit.....and he plays the part well.

Part kitsch, completely fowl this routine splits the Flipper camp right down the middle, those who like, those who don't (and I expect most don't), but it isn't the worse of the Flipper bunch, that belongs to TVC15 or that hideous one (Tina Charles routine), but hey for some this comes pretty close.

Nonetheless, it has charm and should be viewed tongue in cheek, or buckshot in cheek.  I can't fault the absolute sexiness of the girls (Sue in this makes me melt and dream of better times with bin strikes and hot summers) talking of hot summers this most of been a nightmare to film.

And it descends into utter mayhem on the coda (so much so it was incorporated in the truly terrifying video clip) with sweaty bodies all vying for the ducks attention......

To me I don't give a duck or a buck(shot) I'm a dark-horse so I will buck the trend and give this 10/10

DOTD: only one in this, that stunning ray of sunshine with the long sexy pins in those to die for shorts, Sue

Nothing to be said bout Blackburn, apart from "Pa pass me the Winchester, there's a plump duck that needs a shooting", awful intro and outro, the man should be shamed and ashamed......nasty really nasty (I could see JS do this and it would be ok)

Re: DISCO DUCK

There's an impromptu street scene, by the looks of things, what with an audience gathered in near proximity, but what follows, seems like something out of a Stephen King movie, Floyd, all of a sudden comes over all wierd, & swiftly turns into a duck, before changing back t his normal self, & he finds that his dancer friends, seem to have had the same thing happen to them, but unfortunately, we didn't get to see if they'd also turned back to being human again.

7/10

DotD:-

Floid

Re: DISCO DUCK

Mikey
Whenever an underground movement or genre experiences even a modicum of success, there will always be someone ready to cash in with a watered down version or indeed a complete mickey take. Purists will no doubt scoff, but the less informed joe public will take it at face value and buy it in droves. Case in point Disco Duck, a travesty of the genre or just a bit of fun?. Well the Donald Duck impression is certainly a risk, and pretty annoying, but each to their own. Given this curveball Flick has gone down an interesting avenue by actually having our own disco duck, well Floyd in an oversized outfit anyway, in fact so ridiculous is the outfit its somehow perfect for the song. The rest of the dance is fairly basic, but seeing the ladies in those outfits is a kind of reward for having to listen to the dodgy record. The highlight for me must be the end of the dance seeing all the dancers transformed into ducks and the assembled masses of the audience joining in pogoing style, totally quackers.

Pretty strange stuff, but not without its merits, so 7/10. DOTD Floyd

PS lucky for Cherry she did a dance a week later and not finished her time on the show in a duck outfit.

Re: DISCO DUCK

I must say ive never really had any hang-ups about this. Any routine that kicks off with the camera trained on Sues tail feathers cant be bad ! Yes to some i can see why the song may annoy, but its a bright and breezy tune that i quite like. I have to say viewing our dancers is far more preferable to watching Rick and that duck on the show a couple of weeks later. Talking of ducks, well our `Floid` looked more like Mother Goose, but he deserves my DOTD nomination, if only for his comical faces once he loses the duck costume.

Rating, fun to watch, `9.25 out of 10`

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Thanks for your reviews lads.  I see the Duck has some supporters and I'm quite pleased to hear it.  I do think Flick did the best she could with this piece and I totally agree with Ryan that you can see a huge difference watching the Dancers versus enduring the Rick Dees-hosted versions.  I hope there are more comments to allow this to be induckted into the ratings league table soon...
LNV

Re: DISCO DUCK

LNV
This post was updated on .
I like this. It would have appealed to me back in the day and still does now. So that shows just how far my artistic tastes have progressed.  What’s not to like in this, what I would call the definitive Ruby Flipper outing. It’s fun, frothy and takes itself none too seriously. Cherry probably wouldn’t rate this one of her best dance moments, great as she is, sometimes it does no harm to drop one’s artistic snobbisms to join in with the fun, genuinely. That is why we warm to the Flipper Routines as we do, as quaintly unfashionable as they may look to us for the most part.
Ruby Flipper are dressed in typical colourful carnival outfits and with the gals in hot-pants they are eye-openingly sexy. Even Dad would look up from his paper to see what the heck this is all about.

Another must have surely in any RF Routine to be considered as archetypical is audience participation. What a snap-shot of how we dressed and the hairstyles we had back then.  Such proper behaviour in front of the tv cameras too. Before the man-in-the-street celebrity culture took over, so that any buffoon can make it big. Then we still had respect for those that deserved more than we did to be centre stage.
Where did I see those golden legs before, more chicken like than duck, it was a Legs & Co routine. I know it was --How Can This Be Love.—That’s all I want to say about Floid’s role in this as he gets the short straw too often in my view, it was him underneath the costume wasn’t it ?

At the end the rather large audience all flock together in the centre of the studio to jump up and down in a genuinely happy time for all moment.  Always nice to see, as with the --Dont Go Breaking My Heart-- dance finale.  So if  feeling under the weather from an undefined mallard-y, why not relax and enjoy this bit of fun from the RF team ?

The recent video clips on the Daily Motion site seem to me to be a lot smoother in playback , so congrats to Andee for that as he did mention using a new processing technique recently but, -here we go- there is I think too much flaring on the brightest parts of the picture sometimes. I know that this is inherent with  many of the 1970’s BBC tapes, not seen this much if at all with ITV recordings of that time, always assumed the Beeb had the best techies, I guess not.

I must mention in closing our Canadian peacemaker, PattiforPM who has always shown due respect and thoughtfulness when dealing with the ups and downs encountered on the Forum.  Ya gotta love the Doc for that and I guess I can safely say we all do. He has been one of the Blogs best champions, in time spent on posting on here, on acquiring before the BBC 4 repeats of what were really hard to find TOTPs dance clips. I’ve often said [to anybody that will listen] that I want to be just like our cultural chum from the colder climes when I grow up.

Not managed it yet, guess I never will. I raise my glass to you...see ?

Re: DISCO DUCK

Colm
I'm glad to see this isn't getting the kind of shtick the song, on the surface, would merit. I agree it's a fun routine, acted out with good humour by the dancers, with tongue-in-cheek and great audience participation.

DotD: Gotta be Floid

Score: 8.5

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Thanks again chaps and I see the humour and rich flavour of the Duck is bringing higher marks than I had anticipated. The song may attract its share of derision but many of you seem to feel that the Troupe has once again elevated the entertainment value and I have to agree.  One more comment and Mr Dees will surely tower over Mr Bowie and Ms Charles by quite some margin   Oh and LNV thanks for returning to the Flipper Fold and for your much too kind words

Re: DISCO DUCK

In any poll about the worst songs of the 70s, this record is sure to be amongst the "winners". And there isn't much to say in favour of it: a true novelty song with horrible lyrics, a fake Donald and a DJ who can't sing. Yet it was one of the best selling singles of 1976 in the US, going all the way to No. 1. Hmm....

Now this is actually a good record! Why? First of all, it has a great melody. Once you hear it, it sticks with you all day. Secondly, it's total fun. Not serious stuff from pretentious singers who think they can change the world. Yuck! We've had enough of that already! Thirdly, you can dance to it! A new dance even. Well after the funky chicken and the funky gibbon, here's the duck! And finally, it's popular, so it has to be good. Remember, it sold 2,000,000 copies in the US alone! Hmm....

Fast forward 38 years. In 2014 a group of middle-aged men were asked how to rate this performance by Ruby Flipper. Here are some of their replies: Anything that starts with that shot of Sue must be good! It's good because it spares us to view that awful Rick Dees! It's good because Flick made the most of it! The record is of course bad, but Ruby Flipper had to cope with a lot of bad records, after all, it was 1976! Tony Blackburn is disgusting as ever! Hmm...

I think all of the above is true, more or less. But does it explain why I love this performance? Honestly, I don't know. But I do! Heck, I even like the song! I wonder how a 'Disco Duck Appreciation Thread' would fare.

10 / 10

DotD: Floid 'The Duck' Pearce

Re: DISCO DUCK

Doc
Disco Duck is one of those annoyingly catchy songs that you find yourself singing for several days after you hear it. The duck outfits are pretty dreadful but despite this it's surprsingly enjoyable watch 9/10.
Dotd: Floid does a good job but I find myself distracted from him by Sue (and who wouldn't be with that outfit).

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Your comments are much appreciated.  Well it seems we may need two tables at the next OFTDs AGM with Doc, Vin, Colm, LNV, Ryan and ADb at one and Mikey, PBP, SF, PaulF and myself at the other.  Oh and Vin I managed to find a website to assist you:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0046247/     hmmm...

Re: DISCO DUCK

Old Bill
Ahhh come on you nay-sayers! This is some great silly colourful fun, that also happens to have some rather nifty footwork in it to an annoyingly catchy song.

With the tiny shorts and boots the girls look great. Floid's duck routine isn't too irritating.

Bit of a shame it descends into a clucking free-for-all towards the end.

7/10 and although she's featured much, it has to be Lulu for DotD. The barnet Lulu... that barnet!! <3
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Thanks OB, I'll add your marks to the Duck-totals.  Lulu in these early days is super-sweet and this does suit the mood here I think; it's could almost be Disney-ish if the costumes weren't quite so skimpy (thank goodness)

Re: DISCO DUCK

JEZ
The dance is a typical flick style dance ,I mean what else could be done to disco duck than put the dancers in duck costumes and let them disco to the song ,I like the dance the only little thing that puts me off the dance is where the studio audience get involved with the ducks at the end and it all looks a bit chaotic ,but nevertheless a 9 for effort in covering this novelty record

Re: DISCO DUCK

Gorgeous Daze
After all the gun-toting bluster there seemed slim chance the Duck would find a Slimbridge. I was expecting enough feathers to make a duvet, so it's a pleasant surprise it's found a sanctuary here. This is disco suitable for the nursery and the routine fits the Duck's bill nicely. Fun for all the family, with us Dads indulged with the return of those costumes and a great start which shows that Sue's diamonds are attached and not a print. Nice to clear that one up.

The ducklings are in linear formation doing a bit of flapping ahead of full transformation, while King Duck struts his stuff. It's a very confident performance from young Floid who's never better than when he's got some hamming-up to do. His big bird looks particularly silly but you can take it as all part of the fun. Like all aspiring dance crazes 'Everybody's doing' the Disco Duck, so if there's one routine you've got to let the (big) kids get involved in a free-for-all it's this one.

It's hard to look beyond the girls for DOTD when they're this appealingly attired. It's a measure of Floid's performance that I feel I must. DOTD Floid.

Happy Daze. 8.5/10

Re: DISCO DUCK

Lulu is a heavenly delight in 1976....

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
I just want to apologise for making it look as if the Duck is farting in Header pic #3.  This was totally by accident I do assure you although the costume does look a bit constricting in places