DISCO DUCK

Re: DISCO DUCK

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Thanks again for your attention to the RF Thread HTF.  I hadn't seen the Solid Gold Dancers version but I've now remedied that situation and I can't say I'm impressed either.  Your top marks for the RF version however have driven DD right up to the edge of the top ten so thanks once more

Re: DISCO DUCK

L&C4me
6.5/10            DOTD Floid

Disco Duck.... NO000ooooo!            So very 1970's.

That said; the troupe look good in their outfits with plent of ventilation. The dancing is energetic and up beat.
Even the audience take part with some enthusiasm, to the point of chanting. Floid throws himself fully into his role as the disco Duck. They should have left it at that though. The song and duck costumes at the end were so very NAFF. Dancers The best part of this routine were the dancers and the songs either side of it in the charts on this week.
Jim

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Thanks for returning to the RF Comments Thread L&C4me and for your marks.  I recently admitted that I watch "the Duck" quite often but I rarely get past the ladys' metamorphosis part (I even admit I have a snipped copy on my iPod - sorry Flick for mutilating one of your pieces)

Re: DISCO DUCK

L&C4me
That's verging on an affliction P4PM!

I'll make an effort to do more soon!
Jim

Re: DISCO DUCK

bucksby
I do like the track for my sins. The routine was enjoyable too only spoilt by Blackburn's awful intro/outro. Routine 8. DOTD Floid.

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Well I can't help you with your sins Bucksby but I am really grateful for your attention to the RF Comment Thread today.

Re: DISCO DUCK

bucksby
It's long overdue I know but I had a decent laptop to use this weekend and some time to myself.

Re: DISCO DUCK

This may be a novelty record but the dance routine is fabulous.I love the costumes,the audience participation & the humour.10/10.
DotD:Floid

Re: DISCO DUCK

Old Grey Whistler
I was a bit reluctant to review this as I didn't want this song to get stuck inside my head ... and it has!
Still as novelty records go, it isn't the worst I've ever heard. I though the routine got off to a good start before descending into complete chaos at the end. Good to see Tony Blackburn getting into the spirit of things. Sue catches my eye early on but Floid is the star of the show and gets DOTD. My score is 7.5 out of 10.

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Sorry about the ear-worm OGW but keep up the good work on here.  by my count you only have three TOTP RF dances to go to achieve the full complement

Re: DISCO DUCK

The Rubberband Man
I'm sorry but I think this is an epic fail. It's an irritatingly annoying novelty record that the routine is set to. I'm sure there would have been better records climbing the charts that week that Ruby Flipper could have done justice to.

However, it all starts out ok, and the outfits worn by the girls, with the boots, is very appealing. That blue top really suits Lulu; I'm sure that's here favourite colour
Floyd takes the lead and relates, by a literal dance translation, the story about a guy who turns into a duck when he hears disco music

Unfortunately it all descends into chaos towards the end when everyone wears a duck costume, the audience invade the dance floor, and a slow pogo type dance takes over.

Can't deny Floyd his moment in the limelight so DOTD is Floyd
5/10 for the routine.

Re: DISCO DUCK

PansLegs
Any routine that starts on Sue's posterior can't be all bad! This was actually much less of a duck than I was expecting although the latter portion did detract from the overall result. Should have kept it to just one duck I feel, not a whole flock. As soon as I saw that everyone had now become a duck my expression was similar to the girl in the audience that turned around and looked at the camera! DotD Floid 6.5

Re: DISCO DUCK

Dancer
I remember this show being aired at the time and loved this song so much.  I still do and think it is the perfect keep fit and dance song.  Tony Blackburn was big let down at the end.

This song quite rightly went to No.1 in America but only No.6 here which was good but I think it should have gone Top 3.  I seem to remember Rick Dees appearing as himself later on in shows.  The song also appeared very briefly in the Saturday Night Fever film (18) version but a more longer version in the (15) version and I always queried why this never appeared in the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.  It would have complemented it well and it was also on the RSO label.  Maybe the gimmick of the record let it down.

The routine itself was very good and they all looked really good.  The outfits I get the feeling had been seen in another routine but would need clarification on this.  Floyd really took the routine to heart and gave it his all.  I will issue this dance nine out of ten and the best dancer will be awarded to Cherry as she was looking up at Floyd smiling and giving him encouragement.  All in all really, they all deserve best dancer.  Fantastic choreography.

Re: DISCO DUCK

VintageVideos
Dancer wrote
I always queried why this never appeared in the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.  It would have complemented it well and it was also on the RSO label.
I once read that Rick Dees' manager prevented it from being included on the SNF soundtrack album as he feared this would affect sales of his own album. A tragic mistake.
Vin

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Rap on knuckles for not reading/recalling meticulously crafted Host-intro.....but thanks again for your input Dancer.  Always entertaining to read your perspective

Re: DISCO DUCK

Dancer
Thanks.  Just read that.  Normally I do read all the introductions.  One big fail for me and one big fail for Rick Dees as no way was his album going to breakthrough in the chart irrespective of the single being placed on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.  In fact it did not break the top 40 at all.  Good to know about the Jive Talkin' and Calypso Breakdown tracks used as substitutes as these to me were relatively weak tracks moreover the latter and I always felt Jive Talkin' was not a disco song.  Don't remember Dr Disco in the film so much watch that again and look out for it.

Re: DISCO DUCK

The more Flipper I watch, the more it becomes obvious that this was 1970s gold. I love the mad fun back then and this is as crazy as it gets. Floid/The Duck is fantastic and  everyone dies well. 8.25/10 for this Flick classic of a routine. DOTD us once again Sue, she just finishes every move with finesse and I love her look up to camera, a true pro who just knows which camera has the red light on. Brilliant!
This week, I are be mostly drinking piccolos

Re: DISCO DUCK

Everything'sRosie
As far as guilty pleasures go, this is definitely in chuck away the key territory. But I can't help it, I love it. We see those outfits the girls are wearing again somewhere, or perhaps this was the second outing for them. This was shown back when I didn't record the show every week, but this one does survive in my private archive. Oh, those crazy 70s.
Marks 8/10
DotD Lulu.

Re: DISCO DUCK

PattiForPM
Thanks again for your attention lads.  ER these delightfully brief outfits were indeed used previously in You Should Be Dancing (Worn on the tragically lost 12th Aug Show but mercifully repeated on 26th Aug) but on that occasion we had no Cherry to admire.  Almost a shame that Legs & Co didn't keep them for later use don't you think