Quantcast

DISCO INFERNO -- [May]

DISCO INFERNO Dance number 39 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Trammps and reaching No 16 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 19/05/77 Duration of dance -- 2.19 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Pauline 37                      Sue 37
Rosie 37                         Gill 35
Lulu 37                          Patti 32
Something to look out for--Well how about Lulu`s disappearing breast plate, just were did it go, did an audience member keep it as a souvenir or maybe use it as a Frisbee ?
A link to the dance--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eul5Orx1JlA

A really high tempo disco song here performed quite admirably by Legs & Co. Performed on the same studio level as the audience, who were in static mode yet again. I do sense Flicks desire to create the club disco feel to some of these dances, but for me it didn't work, i mean blinding us out with those orange lights only frustrated the viewer when all we wanted to do was admire the dancers.
  The girls outfits were sheer BBC costume department, half a dozen bikinis and left overs from Tom Baker`s Dr Who series in the shape of the gold sprayed plates. The actual dancing is very sexy i must say, and to coin a phrase, they look `totally bootilicious`. But the unnecessary lighting will play a part in me only awarding this one a 7 out of 10.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

The song is great, the suits revealing, the dance sexy and the girls 100% gorgeous.  Gill and Patti manage wonderful facial expressions and Rosie her signature hair swishing.  Then the lighting guy got hold of the things and the rest is History.  7/10

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

I dont blame lighting guys or anyone, FC had the final say, surely she could see these lights stank the place out.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

PattiForPM
Point taken Ryan but I think he played his part even though Flick takes the final responsibility.  I meant everything from a Dance performance standpoint was great and the production part went sadly wrong.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Well of course theres more `lighting lowlights` to come, it seemed in this earlyish period of Legs & Co, FC/The production crew just didnt get it right at certain times.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

I think that I know what's wrong here, it was filmed in pouring rain, with all of the misty affect, & amber flashing warning lights from a highway maintenance vehicle were showing from behing the camera, which, caused a flashing reflection onto the drops of rainwater on the lens, hence all of the little synchronus flashes.

Well at least that's the effect that you'd get where you'd film in such an envioronment, I really am clueless as to why this routine was filmed like this, with such intrusive disco lights, reducing visibility in a way that artificial lights don't normally do.

As for the costumes, I see that the censors were really being tested, much flesh on show, & there was quite possibly a small costume malfunction in there, but the poor visibility means that I can't be sure.

The dancing itself was lively as you'd expect from an up-tempo track such as Disco Inferno, but in all, this calls for a time-machine to take us back about 35 years, & make sure that this routine's done properly

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Andeebee
sadly I find this a headache to watch, to much flashing lights, spoiling a ok routine....I think Flick was finding her disco feet on this one and other earlier disco performances
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Stu
I think the performance is great to a song iconic to the seventies but I've got to base it on overall enjoyment and the constant poor light effects really spoil it for me.

6/10

Stuey

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Andeebee
i poor 4 for me

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Old Bill
It's only just now that I realised that they have records attached to them! I just thought they were just metal plates or pan lids or something.
In response to Ryan I think Lulu must have had a problem with hers as she seems to come running back into shot after Rosie's headbanging as if she was stood to one side frantically sorting out whatever it was.

Anyways, another great routine ruined by the parson's egg that is the flashing lights. 7/10 - and that's generous!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Not a very watchable dance because of the disco lights.I'm sure Flick thought they would add to the disco atmosphere,but they just make it hard to watch.The costumes aren't the best either,as we know Lulu had to remove her chest plate.However i think there is some good dancing so i'll give 7/10.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Doc
A decent dance hidden by those awful flashing lights. An 8.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

VintageVideos
Sorry but this is so annoying that I can't even watch it completely, 3/10.
Vin

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

Disco infernooooooo!. Those lights!. I'm surprised there wasn't an epilepsy warning by the announcer, as it's a lot worse than others that are pointed out. What a pity, with the outfits being so attractive too.
4/10  DOTD Gill.
WTH

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

The lights may be seizure inducing but those costumes are cardiac arresting and this scores a 9 from where I'm sitting.

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
This is a classic example of how to ruin a good dance with poor production. It certainly wouldn't be allowed to be made these days and should really come with a health warning.
From what I can see, the girls are on fine form and without the lights I would be scoring it highly, however as I get no enjoyment from watching and am unlikely to watch it many times again, I give this just 3 out of 10
Now I am off to find some paracetamol!

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Colm
I can't fault the dancing - but those blinking lights undermine Flick's work.

Or perhaps they were to stop the Mary Whitehouse brigade from complaining about the view of Gill at the start of the second verse...

Score: 6.5 - could have been a lot higher...

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
The forum has raked through the embers of this routine, I’m sure when it was conceived it looked wonderful on the drawing board its a cracking track by the Tramps which Legs and Co due full justice, that’s all was required a lesson learned. 7/10

Re: DISCO INFERNO -- 1977

Angie
Great routine but I too find the lights a little too much. Legs are great though!

7.5/10