DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 15/11/1973

Do You Wanna Dance?
Performed by Barry Blue and reaching number 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 15/11/1973 Duration of dance - 3.09 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
https://youtu.be/s5eYYrV2_p8

Barry Ian Green, born on December 4, 1950, started his musical career at the tender age of 14. But it wasn't until 1972 that he achieved his first major success as the co-writer of Lynsey de Paul's Top 5 single "Sugar Me". Signing as a solo artist to Bell Records in 1973, he felt he wasn't green any more so he chose the stage name of Barry Blue. As part of the blooming glam rock scene, he managed to score five Top 30 hits. The most successful was of course "Dancin' (On A Saturday Night)" (No. 2 in August/September 1973) - another co-operation with Looney de Small, as Lynsey was affectionately labelled by the late Spike Milligan.

"Do You Wanna Dance" was the follow-up single to "Dancin'" and reached a respectable No. 7 position, the final of Barry's solo offerings to make the Top 10. Still we have to give him credit not only for producing the group Heatwave but also for (co-)writing such important pop ditties as "Kiss Me Kiss Your Baby" (Brotherhood of Man), "All Fall Down" (Five Star) and Toto Coelo's immortal "I Eat Cannibals".

Let's go back three months now to the TOTP episode of 10/08/1973. It was the week when Barry Blue entered the Top 30 with "Dancin'". On the same show, Pan's People danced to First Choice's "Smarty Pants". Now we all know that this episode was wiped by the BBC, but at the same time we know that someone kept a recording of "Smarty Pants" because a short snippet of it was shown on "Tales of Television Centre" a couple of years ago. Why do I mention this at all? Simply because Pan's People are wearing the same body suits as three months later in "Do You Wanna Dance". So we have another case of dress recycling in this week's performance.

"Do You Wanna Dance" is one of the few existing Pan's People routines running over the end credits, which is a shame as the routine is a real eyecatcher. Fortunately the credits are gone after app. 30 seconds. Stupidly though, soon afterwards the camera starts to move away from the girls for a while. The same happens a little later during the routine. Truth be told, "Do You Wanna Dance" isn't really anything special - it seems to be quite a simple dance without any surprises. On the other hand, the girls do look marvellous. Well, who could resist such a sweet invitation by those five beauties?

I'm not too keen on the song, in fact, I've never been a fan of Barry Blue, but it isn't too bad either. The routine itself is not one of my top favourites yet it is always a pleasure to watch. I won't deduct any points for the end credits as we still have a full 2 1/2 minutes without them but I can't quite ignore the inconsistent camera work. All in all, my rating is

8.5 / 10

DotD: Babs

P.S.: Yes there is a womble in the audience...

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

PansLegs
I would have thought a song titled something like this one coupled with Pan's People should provide a very memorable result, but this track is rather lacking. The tempo is probably too slow and it's quite repetitive, consequently the routine is limited. Positioned at the end of a show with the start of the routine obscured by the end credits I wonder if Flick put much energy into this one.

Having said that the troupe looks good although the outfits are not a favourite and judging by the footage seen of Smarty Pants, the earlier outing of this attire seems to have a lot more going for it. Some haphazard and rather distant shooting of the dancers doesn't help and although everyone is doing the usual grand job I am still left with a feeling that somehow it should have been better. 6/10 DotD Dee Dee

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

The song is certainly nothing sparkling but the girls certainly are and while those outfits are far from being a favourite they do have their plus points.  The straying camera work doesn't bother me as we get plenty of time to see the ladies in action so a generous 7 for the routine.  I do like the way Cherry joins in the refrain but for my Dotd it is Dee Dee just pipping Babs.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

Well I've always liked this one and I do hope one day we get to see Fancy Pants too.  The ladies seem to be having fun here and they look just delightful.  I don't mind the song which obviously has a compelling beat.  Yes the rather over-polite cameraman seems to get a bit stuck behind the front row of the audience (instead of the usual road-kill approach) and then gets trapped behind the spotlight frame and the Credits are a slight distraction too but this is still a great deal of fun to watch.  DotD gives me pause for thought as all the ladies have their moments but in the end it's Cherry who catches my eye the most and I love it when she mouths "FLY" near the end.  I'm giving this 9/10  Oh and thanks PansLegs, that's my new Desktop Wallpaper sorted!

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

A dance routine, that's visually similar, a t first glance, to the one forBarry Blue's other big chart hit, Doancing On A Saturday Night, all costumes of different colours, & all of that.
The stage set is, shall we say, functional in nature, as Pan's People, on this occasion were relegated to the closing credits, they didn't really have to bother, when I came to creating a lavish performance, it's simple hip swinging, & hand waving, maybe to the studio audience who were within camera shot for much of the performance, & DeeDee, seemed particularly enthusiastic about that.

7/10

DotD:-

DeeDee

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

PansLegs
PattiForPM wrote
Oh and thanks PansLegs, that's my new Desktop Wallpaper sorted!
No problem, but either you have a very low resolution desktop or it will need blowing-up considerably!

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

katy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

VintageVideos
Thanks, katy. Of course you can always go for 7.5 should your indecisiveness persist

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

Paperboyplod wrote
A dance routine, that's visually similar, a t first glance, to the one forBarry Blue's other big chart hit, Doancing On A Saturday Night, all costumes of different colours, & all of that.
Hi PBP, not sure what you are referring to. As far as I'm aware of, Pan's People never danced to "Dancin' On A Saturday Night". Maybe you are relating to "Smarty Pants" (not to be confused with "Fancy Pants" btw...).

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

PattiforPM
Oops, sorry about the Fancy Smarty confusion

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

I wondered if PBP might be thinking of the Legs EWF Saturday Nite dance perhaps but I could be way off base yet again of course......

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

I agree with Katy, this is very much Classic Pans at their best. I really enjoy this one and i did consider a maximum. But i will scale back to `9.25 out of 10`

DOTD--5 candidates all hard to separate, but `Dee Dee` is my Pans person of the day.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

mojo2007
I shave off half a point because of odd camera work, otherwise its my idea of pan-ness. 9.5  I know it is not to everyones'  taste  but I love Ruth's faces to camera so she gets my vote ( again ).

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

I must've had a Bright Eyes moment there, if you remember what I said some time last year, it's not for the first time that I've thought that a dance troupe interpreted a certain track, but actually, they didn't go anywhere near it.
So my question on the 'Continuous Quiz' thread from ages ago now, was most probably about this Pan's People representation of Barry Blue.
Appologies for the confusion caused, I really should engage my brain, before I post on these message boards.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

bucksby
Always prefered this track to Barry's bigger hit. The girl next to the Womble didnt seem to interested in the dance. As for me though I thought it was a fune routine and only spoiled by the credits rolling at the start. DOTD Ruth, routine 8.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

VintageVideos
Thanks for all the comments so far. Just a quick reminder that a few of my regular contributors haven't rated this one yet, which is why it has not quite reached the magical '10' until now.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

Doc
Not forgotten, I'm just a bit slow.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
A great beefy production on this record, if it was fronted by Marc Bolan I believe it would have glam classic status with the titular question effectively a command. Note the gong at the start, Barry Blue later employed something similar with more complexity on Heatwave's The Groove Line, danced to by Legs & Co, of course. What sounds like a fire alarm even goes off at one point (not a happy accident involving an unextinguished cigarette in the studio bin, I assume!). Together with Pan's in 'say no more' costumes the show is finished off on a real high, leaving pop fans already raring for next week after that final temporally unfeasible half hour in the company of Raymond Baxter and James Burke. Credits are due...there's no helping that. And around this era it seems TOTP liked to conclude with an inclusive audience-friendly feel, so while it does frustrate somewhat when Pan's are in the background this is still a good deal compared to others. I like the girls starting and joining the new line with each line of the song. Not so keen on the pointy/punchy/alternating doggy paddle, but all in all this is - as most of us instinctively feel - fun and sexy quintessential 73.

DOTD Dee Dee  8.5/10

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

Mikey
Do you wanna dance?, no not really, lets leave it to the girls!!

Well this never struck me as being a particularly good routine, and the camera going awol halfway through (to film a stray womble?) doesn’t help matters either, yet somehow I love it. I guess the simple back to basics ‘in a line, do your thing’ approach just works with its high hip wiggle quota. The leotard outfits are highly distinctive again a fab choice. Barrys tune is very catchy if a little formulaic, but works as well as some similar sounding songs, a little inspiration here and there never hurt. My eyes are naturally drawn to the left of the screen, Cherry (my DOTD) seems ideally suited here and looks as cute as ever.

Like Jeepster its not the most demanding of performances, yet watching it just makes me happy, and sometimes that’s all I need, 9/10.

Re: DO YOU WANNA DANCE? -- 1973

Old Grey Whistler
The song is quite monotonous but I enjoyed the dancing. I particularly enjoyed the bit where they all individually did their hip movements  - then for some reason Orinoco Womble came into shot, the camera got stuck behind some stage furniture and we had to endure a brief burst of special effects, which thankfully didn't last long, before we were back with the girls.
Not a classic, but then it was only an end credit dance. I will give it 8 out of 10 and DOTD is Dee Dee.