Quantcast

DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

PattiForPM
   Once upon a time (in March 1947 as a matter of fact) a boy called Reginald and a girl called Pauline were born about 3 weeks apart on a small but significant island.  They decided to wait until they were approximately 29 years old and when Reg was playing in Toronto (a City in a large and very significant Country spanning six time zones) he decided to play pretend and called himself  Ann Orson and his wordsmith friend Bernard played too and called himself Carte Blanche and together they wrote a song and decided that Pauline should play too.  Unfortunately she was playing in London at the time and so they sent her the song to do her part (this being a lot harder before iPhones) but eventually Bob was their Uncle and they had a big Hit called Don’t Go Breaking My Heart and it climbed to #1 in all the significant countries except Germany.  Even the most famous pig puppet in the World performed this song in 1978 and uttered the immortal words “Eat Your Heart Out Kiki”

    DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART  -  Elton John and Kiki Dee                           Aug 26th 1976

                             DANCERS:          Cherry, Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

                            LINK:      http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x269mtx_ruby-flipper-don-t-go-breaking-my-heart-end-credits-totp-tx-26-08-1976_creation

   The Troupe are still in their morning glory and with this mixture of acting out, Tiller Girl behaviour, crowd-scanning and Edmonds silliness we are entertained up to the ending credits.  It all fits the music quite well and it is great to be able to get another peek at the ladies in their gear but apart from the key-giving ritual and the group kicking there isn’t a lot of dancing to admire and there are lots of gaps during which we look over the punters, such as they are.  There’s a lovely Cherry smile in here and it’s all the more precious given that she was nearing the end of her tenure but all in all I can only award this middling marks of 6/10  and my DotD will be the delectable Cherry once again.  Please let me know what you all think of this

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Paperboyplod
This is as good as it can get with what appears to be an 'impromptu' dance routine, although it was probably all carefully choreographed, & not just Ruby Flipper themselves, & if not, Sue just happened to have a spare key that she could hand over to Floid?
The actual dancing's great, with a great variety of moves, years later, these sorts of performances would be commonplace for Legs & Co., where there's full audience participation, with the actual professional dancers acting as their cheerleaders.

7/10

DofD:-

Sue

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Audience participation on this grand scale should by rights have me climbing the walls but I quite like the song and even more significantly, in fact very significantly indeed, Sue has not yet changed out of her Morning Glory clobber!  Consequently this end of show extra scores an 8.5 with gorgeous Susan as my Dotd.

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Lots to keep the viewer occupied in this one. Noels intro with monetary bribe, his subsequent chatting up of the audience girls but getting nowhere and his likening of events to Napoleons humiliating withdrawal from Moscow.

But its the six dancers who are the main attraction and i agree the girls costumes are very appealing, and im glad they didn't go for a quick change. The arm in arm link up at the end is a favourite Ruby moment for me and finishes off a decent end to the show.

DOTD. `Sue` does look quite ravishing and she is my choice.

Rating. `8.25 out 10` for me.

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

PattiForPM
Thanks lads.  This is a bit more popular than I thought and it seems that the ladies' outfits account for most of that surplus (understandably).  Note that Floid agreed with my DotD choice please .  More opinions would be very welcome however.  We haven't heard from the "don't like audience on the same level as Dancers" faction yet for example

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Suefan
Now don't get me started on Floid !

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Colm
If they got bored of showing the video to "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" after so long at Number 1, then why didn't TOTP give the dancers/audience a moment to shine for subsequent songs which stayed on top as long, or longer, afterwards?

That's not what we're here to talk about though, it's what's probably the closest we get to an "impromptu jam" from a dance troupe still intact to VT. And there's a nice balance of audience shots and RF focus, especially that glorious line. I love how the boys are in sing-a-long mode, but the girls, even Lulu, don't give in.

DotD: The lovely Sue - Cherry isn't as prominent here as in "Morning Glory" from earlier in the same programme IMO

Score: 8

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

VintageVideos
This has to be one of the best loved editions of TOTP for fans of the dancers with no less than 4 performances that include members of Ruby Flipper. But while "You Should Be Dancing", "Aria", and "Morning Glory" are all well-choreographed routines, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" seems to be a mere filler of the just-let-yourself-go-and-stimulate-the-audience kind. Apart from the 'key scene' there isn't much in it which would be worthy of inclusion in a 'real' routine. Yet the dance served its purpose as the audience obviously enjoyed the motivation. Furthermore, the girls are still wearing their "Morning Glory" dresses which just can't go unnoticed.
I think a comparison could be made with "Jeepster". Both routines work so well because they are so simple, and both allow us to concentrate on the dancers, not just how they are dressed but first and foremost how they are enjoying what they are doing and how they are spreading the good vibes, and we can feel how these vibes are still touching us 38 years later. Yes we can sit back and relax and savour the moment. No need to be eagle-eyed here, just enjoy what you are seeing.

Unfortunately, due to too many audience shots, this performance does not quite reach the highs of "Jeepster".

8 / 10

DotD: Sue

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

PattiForPM
Thanks again Lads.  I think this one does fall short of Jeepster but it is garnering some good support despite being less than a main event perhaps.  It seems I am alone with Cherry while there's a crowd gathering around Sue once again but I don't mind that at all!  Please let's hear more of your musings friends....

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Mikey
Excellent song and I do enjoy this good humoured performance. I would like to give a decent mark, but this is not really a routine, more of an end of the night knees up with the audience. Noels amusing intro with the bribe and that annoying screechy lady makes this quite memorable. The camera panning around the audience seems to suggest most of them are enjoying themselves which is always a plus but not quite on a level such as Jeepster.

Unfortunately it cuts off the last minute for the credits, bah!

6/10 DOTD Cherry, whos got the giggles.

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Gorgeous Daze
This is like watching an initial rough sketch of a routine before they form a line getting some kicks in while the second half is written. The audience mirrors the kicks to an arthritic degree. And where had kicks like that last been seen? Yes, in Elton and Kiki's promo video, and this whole thing echoes that pally, playful, impromptu mood.

A cracking song and another supreme arrangement on an Elton record. From a decade when so many Number 1s were there on merit, in stark contrast to the present day where it's nearly all fodder for...I better not say it. The liberating floor-space and audience involvement is again redolent of that long long summer. So good to see those fabulous very popular costumes get an encore. There's something that eludes me about them and the performances that quietly highlights Sue in this and Morning Glory and I'm another who's doubling-up for DOTD. And a word for the cameraman for getting up close with sweet Lulu.

It's not a lot more than a footnote in the story of Ruby Flipper but it's a good watch that rounds the show off in celebratory fashion and leaves a warm nostalgic glow.

7.5/10

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

PattiForPM
Thanks again for your votes which are much appreciated.  I hope at least two more devotees appear soon.  THe audience are indeed an integral part of this performance and although this is common in the Credits section the close scrutiny reminds me of the Days of Yore TOTP examples that you see from the 1960s in some ways.  Here are some of the leaders in the Oscar race for best performance in an Extra Role:

1. Tough Guys           2. Random Air Hostess    3. Edmonds Non-Fan        4. Dancing Girls

My vote goes unsurprisingly for the Dancing Girls

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Suefan
I'm voting for GD whose turn of phrase keeps getting better and better.

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks SF. A few more and I'll have Gavin in my sights.
Steve
LNV

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

LNV
In the feast of nostalgia that is laid out before us on OFTDs, this is a real treat to gorge upon. What a song from the summer of ’76, what a unique dance outfit were Ruby Flipper and will we ever see their like again, certainly not in how they were attired; what colourful outfits ! Not all to my liking really – that is the guys outfits, I mean Phil what on Earth are you wearing ? The 70’s was indeed the decade at this moments that style forgot. So tackily gaudy, a cartoon of a troupe at times they come across as being. Ah, Cherry the artiste what thoughts must have been going through your mind at this time...but it is a jolly time to be had by all and the colourful outfits do add to the party spirit of the piece. What an ending to the TOTPs show. We made our fun this way back then, in real time in the real world without devices to live a cyber life...the change set in when Binatone brought out their tv games console.

The whole presentation is full of charm as Noel is on the money with his jokiness at the start to his -oh not tonight Noely  – reference to Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow  at the end and with the endearing self-conscious look from Lulu as the camera moves in very close to the fanciful handing over of the key(s)from Floid to Sue and Cherry. The audience are as much the attraction and stars as the RF troupe for me. That is how we were and looked back then, ah, sweet warm glow of nostalgia; we didn’t look too bad I’d say.

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

BeautifulBabs
hmm
fairly jolly but ultimately a padder routine because elton and kiki couldnt be bothered to turn up
likes :
the gallagher and lyle song before
Cherry and Sue's outfits
not so good :
in the cancan line at the end the group seem to push cherry into the audience
cherrry's been on on the sunbed but others haven't
Phil's outfit - would be even too bad for saturday night fever.
tidybeard alludes to the audience doing a 'retreat from moscow' on this one where moscow is the dance floor

5 and cheryl dotd

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

VintageVideos
BeautifulBabs wrote
likes :
the gallagher and lyle song before

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

PattiForPM
LOL  There's just no pleasing some people.  This is the Bikini Version too, not that there's anything wrong with preferring two fully clad men

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

Old Grey Whistler
Not a proper routine of course but nevertheless a good way to end the programme.  I always think it's nice when the audience can get involved, some seem to relish it more than others. At one point it looked as though the cameraman was going to collide with Lulu. It is a shame that we couldn't see any more once the credits came up.  Cherry seems happier than I think I have ever seen her in a Ruby Flipper routine - perhaps she had just handed in her notice! She is my dancer of the day and the score is 7.5 out of 10.

Re: DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART

PattiForPM
Thanks again for your time and entertaining reviews lads.  It seems this is a middling performance in most people's estimation.  I agree Cherry does look very happy and tanned here too.  I hope there are still a few more reviewers out there