Quantcast

DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

DON'T STOP THE MUSIC  Dance/performance number 243 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Yarbrough and Peoples  reaching number 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  22/01/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.51 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.

Pauline  223
Sue      222
Rosie    220
Patti     216
Gill        215
Lulu      212

I very much approve of just about everything in this. As a fan of Legs & Co i want to see lots of close-ups, smiling faces, and a lot of leg showing and we certainly get that with this. The costumes are terrific, though why Flick chose the Scottish theme im not sure, but short Tartan skirts are always a nice sight. I wonder if Aneka 6 months later remembered Pauline's red edged hairdo and thought, hmm id like that style for my Summer smash hit. One thing im not so keen on is the bored looking audience.

Rating `9 out of 10`, steady routine to a not to bad song.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Gorgeous Daze
Och aye the noo! These lasses look like they've stepped off the most scrumptious tin of shortbread. Did Yarbrough and Peoples suggest to our choreographer a Scottish clan? The look is surely informed by the emerging tribal flamboyance of Adam & The Ants and Spandau Ballet anyhow. The shoes however have a sensible quality grandmothers would approve of. Boots would've gone better. Pauline mysteriously snags the Aneka wig - well she may as well she won't be there when it's time to accompany the Scottish folk singer. As departure day draws nigh it's heartening to see her enjoying herself as much as ever, culminating in rejoicement at the arrival of the Loony Tunes choir!

The elevated stage and low camera angles give this one a rare impression of riding the deep groove, as for consecutive weeks (Or is it days? Or even hours?) they dance to the tune of a reedy-voiced authoritarian. Suitably so, with TOTP authority wobbling (in my mind's eye Punch & Judy-like) between Nash and Hurll at this time. Behind their backs the unattended audience feel free to revert back to being almost as static as if they were seated. Or perhaps I should look on it more favourably as quiet awe, cemented by that dizzyingly long spin that sets the dance on its way, the longest since last spring's Caithness & Sutherland Traditional Home Crafts Festival.

While the desirability of the girls is most evident, minor factors, whether low angles, shots from behind, through perspex, cross-fades, fairground light bulbs, generous thigh focus...conspire to deny us as good an idea of the choreography as might be desired. A pity, because I think they nailed it.

Patti turns it on for the camera. Lulu's in top facial form. Clan loyalty runs as deep as some of the angles. DOTD: Patti

Bonny, could've been even better.  8.75/10

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

The Scottish themed dress could be because it was broadcast close to Burns Night, 25th January.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

brandonb
9/10 DOTD Gill

I think a good number to dance to after several weeks of dubious ones... and Legs do not disappoint. Not an awful lot comes to mind to say about it. I couldn't really care less what the audience is doing or not (as long as they don't get in the way like in Bowie's "Fashion" some weeks ago). In fact here I didn't really notice them. I quite like the record although I think it may get old quite quickly after a few listens. Where it lost a point for me was the tops of these costumes. The tartan mini skirts are great - but all the flouncy stuff and the over the shoulder throw detracts from the dance moves... Stupid allegations of 'soft porn' aside - I think more figure hugging attire works better in general as I want to see the dance moves being deployed clearly. When there's stuff flying around these details get obscured... But it's a small negative and forgetting that niggle it is after all a theme for whatever reason so maybe a bit of a pedantic point. Although I think Scottish could have been done without the need for all the flouncy stuff. But just my opinion for what it's worth. Gill caught my eye here and is my DOTD.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

I really like this one.  The tartan outfits are spot on and there's some vintage stuff on view like a couple of quite lovely Lulu smiles, the mischievous Sue glance followed by a great dip and a commanding centre forward performance by Gill.   Patti grabs me though with one of her absolute best displays of camera awareness and despite being outside left she plays a blinder for DotD.  I do quite like the song until the chipmunk section at the end but this doesn't detract from a really fine performance by the best Troupe on Earth.  9.5/10 for me please

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

AC/PD
One can tell this is a Robin Nash edition - Legs & Co. are in the studio, performing before a live audience. Well, they're supposedly live, yet somehow managing to remain indifferent despite the sights and sound before them. Prior to the easy-going Bary Manilow 1981 opener, Legs & Co hadn't been in Fashion for a live(ish) TOTP audience since late October 1980, eight routines ago, so at least Mr Nash knew their worth and the power of their actual presence.
Following on from those ultra modern all encompassing costumes worn in I Ain't Gonna stand For It (who needs to see flesh, eh - covered up and still sexy) the tartan take on the modern trend fashion style is New New Romantic. So new that the skirts haven't been finished yet. Also, so much for the suggestion of Legs & Co. looking out-of-date in 1981 Top Of The Pops. If not for the close proximity audience, the watching ones at home can certainly feel the vibrancy and - a typical L&C. essence - the sense of simply having a really good time.
Although GD's recommendation of buccaneering boots is sensible and one to be expected - I think they're in place for Can You Feel It - the low-heeled shoes finally have a credit to their name because with plenty of swish from the flowing sleeves either side of those natty waistcoats, we could do with as much leg as possible on show to counteract the covered top half.
Although brandonb makes a good point about the desire to see the actual moves, what's lost in that regard is gained by the very close proximity to the dancers, almost as if we're on the floor before them - caught up in the dance action whilst trying to get to the bar.
When glimpsed as part of a dance compilation for The Story Of 1981, the sole glimpse of Pauline was a rear one from this particular song, looking as if she'd reverted back to the classic bob cut from before late 1977. Why go for the wig? It must have seemed like a fun idea at the time and indeed it's a good choice for style longetivity. As for the section where she sings merrily along, well they could have been Pauline's vocals...but her pitch was too high. I do like the control and command of Gill's confident performance and the slight 'attitude' she displays throughout this dance to a record which, as with the dancers, is sexy in places.
9/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

brandonb
Pauline's Dimples wrote
the tartan take on the modern trend fashion style is New New Romantic.
I thought it was a bit New Romantic too in terms of the waistcoats - which are a bit buccaneering and maybe a hint of Adam and the Ants. But I think from what I recall New Romanticism was generally more of a hodge podge of things unless you went for the full pirate look. This seems too consistently Scottish to be quite that. But there is definitely a hint of it for sure. They did look up to date for 1981. I guess the allegation they are outdated like the 'soft porn' claim is another where you have to be very selective with routines you choose to make your argument appear to have any substance (at all).

Although GD's recommendation of buccaneering boots is sensible and one to be expected
When I thought about it I wondered if these white tops under the waistcoats were being reused from the routine for ELP's "Fanfare for the Common Man" a year or so back which of course featured boots... :) But perhaps that kind of top is rather generic for the time... so maybe / maybe not.

Although brandonb makes a good point about the desire to see the actual moves, what's lost in that regard is gained by the very close proximity to the dancers, almost as if we're on the floor before them - caught up in the dance action whilst trying to get to the bar.
Yes, it was a minor quibble. You can't worry too much about that kind of thing as it constrains the themes you can illustrate too much... However without the throw and the waistcoats I think the tops (if they were the same) worked better in "Fanfare for the Common Man" as there was less stuff flapping around to confuse the movement. That's why I suggested maybe they could have done Scottish in a less distracting way. Even pinning the throws at the back would have helped. But had they changed things too much it probably wouldn't have had a hint of New Romantic about it - so swings and roundabouts... it's perhaps too much of a pedantic quibble. One which might have some merit when you are viewing one routine in isolation - but less so when viewed as a collection of routines.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
This is a terrific routine. High-tempo and funky, makes even this old bugger want to get up and bust some shapes! 9 out of 10.

DotD is almost impossible to adjudicate. The short skirt makes the most of Rosie's best assets, and she even throws in a couple of her trademark nostril flares to boot. Lulu is really giving it some with the facials, Sue's hair is begging to have some lucky fingers run through it, and as for Gill, well she has simply been oozing sex appeal since the turn of the year. I could have gone for any of these four, but I'm actually going to vote, for the first time as it happens, for Patti, who looks beautiful and goes into a few moves front and centre in the middle of the routine that are just hypnotic.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

I like it when Legs & Co do Scottish. Six bonnie lassies dressed to kill in the splendid tartan and plaid is a gallus sight to behold.
And the dance routine is good too, helped by it being set to the synth funk disco boogie sound of “Don’t Stop The Music” – proper dance music for L&C at last.

The tartan mini skirts are very sexy. I love the sassy way Sue throws her head back at the “Turns me upside down” line, and Patti’s subtle glances to the camera are cool. I think Lulu in the midst of it is fully in her comfort zone, and she also looks the fairest of them all. Very pretty. So DotD is Lulu.

It's a L&C Classic. 9/10 thanks

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

I love the Scottish theme for this routine, the flouncy shirts, over the shoulder throws and mini skirts all work well together, and all very fashionable for the day with the new romantic craze just starting. I like some of the camera angles too, looking up at our girls from below, a bit similar in a way to last years Check Out The Groove. All of the girls stand out here, but I'd like to have seen a bit more of Rosie.

Rating 9/10

DOTD A difficult choice here, it could have been Patti or Gill, but in the end because she looks so happy, Lulu nailed it for me.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

There's certainly past evidence for Legs & Co's costumes being inspired by an artist who had recently appeared on TOTP. In his intro for Green Onions Simon Bates mentions that Dollar's Thereza Bazar '[seemed] to have started something quite strong with that little dress' she wore sixties style when they performed I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Colm
I love the costumes - a wardrobe choice that's completely on point - but part of me wonders if they were easy to dance in given the studio environment? We certainly don't see any evidence of a sweat being broken.

And while I love Gill being front and centre in this routine, and she doesn't put a foot wrong, she barely engages with the camera - neither do the delightful Rosie or Pauline, victims of circumstance sadly positioned at the back of the stage - while it's up to the experienced Flipsters to embrace the screen time they get. That rear glance, with a sweet smile, to camera by Patti, is the highlight of the routine for me...

...but overall, the dancer who shines most for me here is Lulu, who gets my DotD honours.

Score: 9

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

I wondered about the Scottish theme of this dance routine, of course it was about the date of Burn's night, anyways, this is another strong performance from the nations favourite dance troupe, or so I say, but I can't hel but be totally distracted by the overly large blouses, it makes the dancers look like they're about to be caught by a hurricane, & be swept away.
There's some great pirouetting here, what a view the studio audience must've had there.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Scottish/new Romantic Spandau style themed routine for an arse end disco track, yup it was finally on the way out here, even thou it was burnt at the stake in USA in 1979 (blame Rod Stewart and The Stones).

I like the song and I like the routine, all smiles and short skirts and at times some worrying camera angles. But hey mustn't grumble. Top routine top tune, full marks? no not by a mile

Scores: 9.5

New Romantic of the Day: Sue

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Adorable Gillusion
7.5/10   DOTD...Gill

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

This routine by our ladies to Yarbrough & Peoples. Are on a high stage, with the audience all a round them. The ladies are wearing Scottish tartan mini skirt with billowing white blouses. And wearing green and red tartan waistcoats. The tradiitional Scottish gear. The dance is so tipical of our ladies dance style. In this routine no solos at all, We have a lot of spins from the beginning and at the end of the routine. We also have red finged hair do for Pauline. Just a good all round dance routine by our ladies.

So the Dotd must go to Sue. in the routine. But I could have given it to any of our ladies they were so good in this routine.

So the score is 8 out of 10.

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Mikey
Really interesting record this, the heavy repetitive synths leading a new electro based direction for funk and disco music until we eventually get to house music in half a decade or so, but for now this 8 minute epic track chipmunk vocals and all is bottled down to a mere 3 minutes for our wee lassies to 'strut their funky stuff' once again. Tartan skirts and flouncy shirts are the order of the day, and oh boy are they sexy, particularly when worn by a certain Patti Hammond who uses her great camera awareness to give me a knowing grin, at least i think it was at me. 9/10 DOTD Patti

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

The costume choice is an interesting one but rather than a nod to any emerging fashion I imagine that like me, a slight first mishearing of the name of this group conjured up for Flick visions of those wild border constituencies, inhabited by traditional liberals back in those far off grim ond steely days, and the tartan look it was.
Given that I find the song a bit of a stinker this is a routine I rarely watch but the dance performance is an enjoyable one with lots of good closeups, marred a little by excessive use of the low angle.  I'm going 6.75 with Gill out front as my Dotd.
Suefan
Stu

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

Stu
Song's ok, routine is good, short tartan skirts are awesome!!

8.5/10

DOTD - Patti

Re: DON'T STOP THE MUSIC [January]

I don't like the song or the costumes but the dancing is OK if far from their best.7/10
DotD:Lulu