Quantcast

DONT GIVE UP ON US -- [January]

DONT GIVE UP ON US Dance number 16 by Legs & Co.
Performed by David Soul and reaching No 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 06/01/77 -- Duration of dance 2.39 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.
The Legs & Co attendance register so far after 16 dances ---

Gill       16                Lulu     16               Pauline 16
Rosie    16                Sue      16               Patti     14
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25dipa_legs-co-don-t-give-up-on-us-totp-tx-06-01-1977_creation

A very graceful dance performed to near perfection by the girls. Im not much of a fashion expert but i simply adore those blue dresses and the girls look most fetching in them. As for David Soul, well this was the first of his hits, a very soppy ballad, but i cant knock the guy. I mean he released 5 singles in the UK, 2 went to Number 1 and the other 3 in the top 12. Bit of a cheesy finish to this one as they gaze longingly at `Old Hutch`, but i have always enjoyed this dance and on my watchable ratings gets a 7.5 out of 10.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Paperboyplod
This is yet another wonderful routine from Legs & Co., simple but effective as they say, some great circilar movements there, & judging by the smiles on the girls faces, they quite enjoyed this one as well, nice matching costumes, really showing off their, ahem, legs, & they got a nice portrait or David Soul for them all to drool over, that's not really my cup of coffee you'll understand, but I'm sure that these girls really appreciated it!

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

PattiForPM
Yes I agree this is a good slow routine full of gentle swaying and grace and those luscious long legs and blue dresses, well they just take your breath away.  Is the ending hokey and the song slightly naff? You betchya, but the whole thing just plain works.  Highly enjoyable and well done 8/10

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Yes,love this one.Beautiful dresses and a lovely dance.I like the song as well.9/10

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Lookmacinanger
Good old 'Hutch' was certainly the man in '77 didn't I hear that he once found his enquiries lead him into Legs and Co dressing room. This routine is beautifully performed to a soppy old ballad and everything works to my way of thinking, good effort all round. 8/10
Stu

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Stu
This for me is one of those when the routine is a perfect match with the song. The girls look so beautiful and elegant. As I've mentioned previously I don't know anything about dance but this looks like a routine where their ballet training played a big part. Really enjoyed it. Although I don't care for the bit at the end when they're fawning over a still shot of Hutch's mug! Or was it Starskey? I forget.

9/10

Stuey

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Andeebee
gimme a 10 for this - Sue is just a dream in this

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Old Bill
A beautiful elegant dance, all very lovely. And I know it's a much slower song, and therefore easier to dance to (is it??) but here the girls are in perfect harmony with each other, contrasting with my perhaps harsh observations from Maid in Heaven - just 6 weeks earlier. And for me it just adds that little bit something extra - a dance which is really nice and relaxing. Very watchable.

The dresses are lovely - very flattering. The song is not bad either for schmaltzy ballads. I met David Soul once actually - he was very nice. But not nice enough to be worthy of the girls' adoration at the end!! What was all that about!?

7.5 / 10
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

VintageVideos
Beautiful, but I better not watch this too late in the evening or I may doze off (sweet dreams anyway!). The song is just a plain bore and the girls can't do much about that. They all look great as ever, so ladies, you're not to blame, don't take this personal, just 6 /10 (yawn)

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Doc
I like this dance, it works well with the song. My only complaint is the ending with David Soul's mug taking too long to appear, I'd much rather they had danced to the next verse. Still it's probably the ending that makes this one of the few dances that I can clearly remember watching the first time round. A memorable 9 for this one.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Who's That Hurll
Now I'm onto 1977, I'm retrieving my comments from the 1977 monthly votes to save time.

Don't Give Up On Us:  A graceful performance, with lovely shades of colour and impeccable timing.
                                Not forgetting the magical ending with David appearing in the ladies built in crystal
                                ball.

9/10.    DOTD Gill.
WTH

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

PaulF
Nice clear set to see the ladies looking and dancing beautifully. Good routine and very enjoyable to watch. 9/10
Paul

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Old Grey Whistler
We move into 1977 and find our girls looking very elegant, and producing a nice if not very memorable dance to this David Soul ballad.  I have docked half a point for the nauseating ending so give this one a steady 7.5 out of 10.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Suefan
Lovely slow dance, nice costumes.  This one works well and scores 8 with Gill for Dotd.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US

Colm
A gentle start to 1977 for the girls, and they treat the song kindly. Lots of stunning close-up shots, and beautiful solo spots by Gill and Sue.

Score: 9

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US -- 1977

This is a gentle routine to start off 1977. We have all the ladies in blue dresses laying down looking at a blue spot. With the picture of David Soul in it. Then getting up and dancing in formation, we have two solos. One by Gill and the other Sue who one of her fantastic spins. For the song I would rather have " Silver Lady ".

So Dotd will have to go to Sue.

The score must 7 out of 10.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US -- 1977

Angie
Good gentle routine to a gentle song.......great set and costumes.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US -- 1977

Mikey
No post xmas blues about this one, well apart from the set, oh and the outfits. Whilst i usually prefer the more uptempo numbers, this has a grace and elegance about it that is transfixing. David Soul obviously found his niche in this schmaltz but its listenable and not bad for its style.

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US -- [January]

PansLegs
A nice surprise as I only ever recall seeing that fuzzy clip of David on the chair. Lovely dresses, nice dance, some good close-ups. Pity they took so long to bring in David's face at the end. For the solo twirl, Sue DotD 8/10

Re: DONT GIVE UP ON US -- [January]

L&C4me
8.5/10

A Lovely, sweet, heavenly, memorable song of the mid 70's that takes me immediatly back to that period whenever I hear it. It seamed that David Soul turned everything to gold around this period. Successful film star, drama actor and very successful recording artist. This was a great opportunity to put his charming voice to a nice routine. Gill opens the dance smoothly, beautifully and gracefully. The whole dance syncronisation is very compelling.

The dancers' lace up long blue dresses blend with the astrological set, depicting them as moon beams. These are some of the best figure complimenting dance costumes, that despite the amount of material, the sleek gorgous lines of our dancers are fully displayed in all their impressive stature.

The set picks its cue from the many heavenly astrological elements in the song: written in the moon light, painted on the stars, maybe stars are few & angel and dreamer. Dancing is performed above the moon/sun surrounded by planets and stars.

overall a smashing piece of artistic effort nicely choreographed.
Jim