Quantcast

DOTD - How do you decide?

rootean
Having joined this forum recently I'm having fun exchanging views and opinions about L&C routines.

I'm interested to know how different people decide on their DOTD selections.

Is it a combination of various factors (appearance+outfit+performance)?  Or does one element rate higher than any other?  To what extent does sexiness matter?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

PattiForPM
Good question Rootean.  I think we're all a bit different and several people have now shied away from choosing a DotD at all and I'll leave them to explain their reasons.  For me it boils down to who grabs my attention or performs prominently and it may be a single move or expression, a solo or a general appearance.  I willingly admit to a degree of bias towards my favourite dancer and that this is very much a subjective thing but I think it's rather interesting to see what appeals to different observers and brings up some discussion points.  That's my six pennies

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Legsfan
For me is used to be my favourite which was quite unfair, but now where the paritcular dancer really shines like Anita in Rainy Night In Geogia it would be criminal to give a DOTD to someone else. No offence to anyone who didn't pick Anita

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

mojo2007
Being very old I hesitate to select anybody from Legs and when I do I probably work on the question, does anyone outshine Patti this week? I am probably biased by smiles as with Pans , I first look to see what Ruth is up to.  On different days I have probably suggested each one of them, even Lee during her short career.  The groups achieved an amazing balance being very attractive but keeping matters light hearted, I am sure Ruth was saying , don't get too steamed up lads, its all in fun. Compare that with certain other dancers who tried too hard. I think it would be a smile or a small gesture which would catch my attention but sometimes one dancer would be the focus of attention, Babs in the quarry scene  for example. I am beginning to regret trying to answer your question, my suggestion was probably based on a whim and I would suggest somebody different tomorrow.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Dancer
I tend to judge the best dancer by how they performed and the role they had in the routine.  Copious of my best dancers have had lead roles within routines, or it could be how the outfit looked on the dancer (as in Sunday Girl, Blondie) as I very rarely vote for Gill but in this one she looked lovely in the outfit and her facial expressions were lovely too.  You can usually tell by the first time you watch them where your eyes are drawn too.  Some of the girls had very good ways of beckoning you to the camera.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Good question! Sometimes I think the decision is obvious if a dancer has been given a standout role such as Lulu in McCarthur Park, Rosie in Lovely Day or Gill in Please Don't Go.  Other times it could come down to liking a particular costume if they are wearing different things, or a look or smile to camera, and sometimes I feel that one dancer nailed a performance just that bit better than the others. Stage positioning can also be a factor. If a dancer is stuck at the back then they are unlikely to get a vote.  The camera direction also plays a part, as if there is a standout part of a song where the dancing is most memorable then whoever the camera is on at the time stands a better chance of getting the vote. Sexiness could also be a factor, although for me not usually a decisive one, as I find them all sexy!

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Hi rootean.

For me it's very simple, I just vote for the dancer who catches my eye the most that week.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
For me it's very simple, I just vote for the dancer who catches my eye the most that week.
Good shout RNOF. Now thats what i intended DOTD to be about, who impressed on the day. I wanted folk to erase their favourite dancer from their minds and look at it objectively, with an open mind if you will. Its clear that for all folks good intentions, its difficult for some to attend to the task in hand of choosing a DOTD with the gravitational pull of their favourite still dominating their decision.

But the guys here enjoy nominating a dancer on the routines and im happy to keep on entering the totals into the relevant scoreboards, even if i no longer make selections myself on it.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Everything'sRosie
It usually has nothing to do with dancing technique for me, more an inspired moment, a cheeky look to camera. Lulu is an expert at this. For example her "he's in love with my best friend" backwards thumb gesture moment in Love's Unkind. There was only ever going to be one winner after that no matter what else happened in the dance.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Everything'sRosie
Everything'sRosie wrote
It usually has nothing to do with dancing technique for me, more an inspired moment, a cheeky look to camera. Lulu is an expert at this. For example her "he's in love with my best friend" backwards thumb gesture moment in Love's Unkind. There was only ever going to be one winner after that no matter what else happened in the dance.
Got the line wrong. It is, "he's got a crush on my best friend" of course.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Gorgeous Daze
Well to the forum rootean. Good to find you already getting involved in the Legs & Co Comments Section.

There are no hard and fast rules for DOTD, as already alluded to criteria can differ slightly between members. But basically it's the dancer who impresses you the most on the day, whether that be for reasons obvious to most or for more subtle or subjective reasons.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

PattiForPM wrote
I think we're all a bit different and several people have now shied away from choosing a DotD at all and I'll leave them to explain their reasons.
I rarely choose a DOTD these days. I always felt a bit pressed by the need to pick a dancer when actually none stood out. But to each his own, as long as you're having fun with it it's fine. I just wouldn't take it too seriously. If however I had to start all over again, I'd pick Ruth more often than I did
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

AC/PD
Hands Up, rootean, it's nice to see your swiftly chosen choice of avatar.
To answer your question, I't say that whichever dancer is found to be the most captivating is the prime science behind a DOTD vote. As such, factors such as quality, moments of breathlessness, momentary bursts, amusement and sheer entertainment derived enter into the equation.
Very interesting to read the previous replies.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Doc
AC/PD wrote
Hands Up, rootean, it's nice to see your swiftly chosen choice of avatar.
To answer your question, I't say that whichever dancer is found to be the most captivating is the prime science behind a DOTD vote. As such, factors such as quality, moments of breathlessness, momentary bursts, amusement and sheer entertainment derived enter into the equation.
Very interesting to read the previous replies.
I think that pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't attempt to judge it on the quality of dancing as I'm totally unqualified to do that. Sometimes the choice is obvious but many times they are all so good it can almost be a toss of a coin to choose.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

BeautifulBabs
I try to imagine how the routine would look without my dotd  to assess who would be the most missed  ie the strongest link. I do look at others votes before as they often see something I've missed. I never pick a dotd who does not feature in the routine.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Doc
BeautifulBabs wrote
I never pick a dotd who does not feature in the routine.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

Doc
Don't try and be the person who votes for a dancer more than any one else because you want to be No.1.

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

PattiForPM
Shhh Doc don't rat me out

Re: DOTD - How do you decide?

CoffeeThing
Like you, I'm new too rootean and am slowly working my way through the routines (been distracted lately by life events though). DOTD for me is whoever catches my eye in the routine, and that often ends up being Sue, though I do try my best not to keep selecting the same dancer.