Did we ever come to any conclusion on this Jensen intro ?

Did we ever come to any conclusion on this Jensen intro ?

I think we may have covered this in the past, but im not sure we came to any conclusions on it. Im referring to the mysterious Kid Jensen introduction of the Legs & Co routine to `Torn Between Two Lovers` on 10th March 1977.

Here is the full intro...

"and after all that excitement i think its time we mellowed down a bit, or maybe not because Legs & Co are coming back and they are looking lovely as always. Dancing to a tune which was a recent number one in America. Mary McGregor's Torn Between Two Lovers".

So whats so mysterious ? In it he remarks that Legs & Co are coming back. But back from where, they haven't yet appeared on the show ! This does raise the question that maybe Legs & Co danced to another routine on the show but it was jettisoned for some reason.

The likelihood of Legs dancing to two songs on a show around this time was quite probable as they did so on a number of occasions between Feb and June of 77. Shows then lasted 40 minutes, so a lot of time to fill.

The TBTL routine was 9th item on the show so plenty of scope for Legs to have appeared earlier. Im no pop or chart historian, so i wouldn't have much idea what song got pulled or the reason why. If anyone has any thoughts on this or Kid's intro then say so on here. Im of the opinion Legs danced a full routine and the thing was simply never used and got wiped.

Here is the Dailymotion link to the routine. Whaddaya think ?
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25cryy?playlist=x3zvs7

Re: Did we ever come to any conclusion on this Jensen intro ?

Old Grey Whistler
Whenever I have heard this intro, I have just assumed that 'Kid' meant that Legs & Co were back from the previous week and that this was their only routine on the show. Would he have said 'they are looking as lovely as always' if we had already seen them earlier in the show?  It doesn't sound right to me. I also feel that any other unused filmed routine would have probably turned up somewhere, after all outtakes like on Feel The Need seem to have survived.
I also think Sue, who has a good memory for these sorts of things, would have mentioned it by now if they had gone to the trouble of filming a whole routine and getting costumed etc only for it to get junked at the last minute. I think it would have been a memorable event as it would almost certainly have caused ructions between Robin Nash and Flick Colby.

Re: Did we ever come to any conclusion on this Jensen intro ?

Old Grey Whistler wrote
 I also feel that any other unused filmed routine would have probably turned up somewhere, after all outtakes like on Feel The Need seem to have survived.
This is the BBC we are talking about. Remember these fools were still wiping `whole` shows in 1977, so wiping an unused dance routine to me would be no surprise at all. Yes some outtakes still do exist, but the vast majority of outtakes would have been trashed as they were looked upon as having no historical value.

Re: Did we ever come to any conclusion on this Jensen intro ?

I hear what your saying Ryan, and it certainly is a possibility, but i think i tend to go along with Old Grey Whistler. It certainly does seem to be a bit of a strange thing for a presenter to say on an intro, but having said that over the years many of the DJ's did say strange things, and seemed to have a tendency to talk gibberish and rabbit on a bit.

Re: Did we ever come to any conclusion on this Jensen intro ?

Dancer
See where you are coming from.  Unless this was a slip of the tongue and he added an extra word in as he was possibly caught off guard.  They were prompted I am sure on the camera.  On looking through the charts there really was not that much they could have danced to that could have been pulled.  On looking at the lower thirties there was Cerrone Love in C Minor which was a big disco tune and one they definitely would have danced to no doubt had it gone higher than 31 in the charts.  This was never played on the radio so unsure if it was controversial.  If you are thinking of another routine I am going to opt for this one and it was pulled.  I have never heard that one so it needs someone who is into hard disco to decipher that.