Discussion about /Comments on routines

Suefan
A while back I suggested it might be interesting to offer some thoughts as to what Flick might have been going for with her unusual routine for 'The Groove' .  So far only P4pm has stuck his head above the sofa (have copied his post from another thread to here for reference).

"SueFan the Groove has become one of my faves with its smooth moves and those belted shirts.  I think Flick was trying to convey a mildly sleazy lounge-like ambience.  With Patti waking up at the beginning and the girls emerging from behind the long sofa I always think of it as the morning after a party (why didn't we get the invitation??) and that half-awake state the whole waking group gets into.  That girls-hidden hand-clapping near the end is quite tantalizing in its own way (even though I would have liked to have had more time to admire our girls in all their glory too).  I think this all fits the music well with its jazzy theme" P4pm.

So here is my take on the routine.

The setting transports me back to one of the hotels to be found near Joburg airport in the 70"s such as the Grand or the Sun (they've improved a lot since then) with its transitory clientele.  Unlike P4pm, to me the party has yet to get started.  The afternoon siesta over, one thing is for sure though, the cocktail bar is quickly filling up with good looking girls.  Decisions, decisions.  Finally the dilemma is resolved and, as her competition disappears, I follow the Woman in Red as she slinks her way down the corridor.  She stretches out in the room as I pour the champagne - now lets party.

I appreciate this probably tells you more about what is going on in Suefan's head than our diminutive New Yorker's but so be it.

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

JEZ
i love the song and the routine of forever in blue jeans got to admit at the moment its one of my favourite routines but for the life of me i cant see where the idea of having lulu dressed i think she is supposed to be a toddler and patti as a little old granny i have worked looking after older people and have yet to see a granny dressed or wanting to wear blue jeans pheraps someone with a bit more of an imagination than mine could tell me what flicks idea was on this dance

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

Suefan
Hi Jez, I'm thinking along the same lines as YMG did for the "Forever... number in that the costumes are a progression from toddler through to old age.  YMG lost confidence in his own theory with Rosie being dressed as a Bunny girl but I think he was on the right track.  From white socked hockey playing schoolgirl to waiting on tables for Mr H.... a natural progression don't you think?

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

PattiforPM
The costumes that seem strange to me are the "Calling Occupants" ones but I guess it's just a cross-section of the human race being observed by extra-terrestrial beings.  Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have changed Patti's outift anyway but the choreographic thinking is rather intriguing.  Does anyone else have other thoughts about this?

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

Suefan
I think your likely on the money P4pm but with Gill in the beauty queen get up part of me would like to think each costume had some relevance to each girl.  Was Patti I wonder an ace hockey player in her youth, did Sue really have a passion for the Detroit Tigers as I have long suspected, was Rosie's dream to be a cowgirl before the lure of TOTP took over, is that a national costume that Pauline is sporting from where she last went on holiday?

oh yes suefan forever in blue jeans i can understand where ymg is coming from on this routine now pheraps he could have been a choreographer with his creative mind he must be on the same wave lenghth as flick i would have just dressed the girls in a pair of blue jeans lol

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

Suefan
Yes Jez, but then you'd have missed out on another chance to get out that little teddy.
Suefan
LNV

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

LNV
The Groove routine could be more suggestive than it initially appears. The extra long sofa is reminiscent of certain erotic establishments. Waking up to meet their next clients.
How much is this a dance routine or merely titillation? Did Legs & Co over reliance on such performances spoil their reputation as dancers of artistic merit. Certainly a routine I couldn’t envisage either Pans People or Ruby Flipper performing in such a manner.
The hand clapping behind the sofa at the end gives it a touch of class. Redeems it from being just salacious. Applauding themselves for displaying one of their more ingenious dance numbers.

pheraps some of the costumes in some of the routines didnt seem to go with the song coz every now and again robin nash used to say we need to do a routine with say raincoat or schoolgirl outfits because he said it catered for certain viewers which they called the mackintosh brigade so pheraps flick had to abide by his instructions hence forever in blue jeans bunny girls etc

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

Suefan
I've just been sent "Fanfare for the Common Man", a dance I had not seen for 33 years, and it struck me that every so often a hint of the Pirate costume appears, seemingly without much reason.  Others I can think of are "Can You Feel It" and "Portsmouth" and there are possibly one or two more that I've forgotten.  Perhaps FC had dreams of a life on the ocean wave.  I'd certainly captain the Jolly Roger with this crew of girls.  Pew, you'd have to be blind not to.

PS.  The copy of "Fanfare...." is not the greatest quality so if any of my shipmates have a decent copy it would be appreciated.  Otherwise this common man might have to walk the plank.

I'll save you from that plank SueFan.  Another routine I've been watching recently is "Turn to Stone" and it's great fun and super high-energy but as YMG mentions on the Blog the outfits are a little inexplicable in the nicest possible way

Re: Discussion about /Comments on routines

Suefan
Thank you P4pm, that should save Suefan from getting out of his depth.

I also enjoy the high energy "Turn to Stone".  Good song with everyone giving it some welly (I believe that is the technical term).  From memory this must have been the week of the college field trip to Poole's Cavern.  If you recall it had been rather wet and, having rather foolishly sat on the grass to eat their picnic lunches, the girls skirts became soaked. However, having taken them off it proved rather nippy down in that cave, hence all the hopping and running about.  Fortunately a day or so later they all jetted off to Cairo so nobody caught a chill.
Suefan