EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- [November]

EGYPTIAN REGGAE Dance number 73 by Legs & Co
Performed by Jonathan Richman and reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 24/11/77 Duration of dance --  2.29 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 69            Gill 66
Lulu 68                Patti 66
Rosie 67              Sue 66
A link to the dance
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24u7ck_legs-co-egyptian-reggae-totp-tx-24-11-1977-15-12-1977_creation

  I have a feeling you guys may give this one a mixed review. Me, i love it. Given the theme, Flick plays all the stereotypical cards, all we needed was Floid dressed up as a mummy ! With Sue all covered up and on camel duty, it was left to Patti to play the high priestess role. Who needs Liz Taylor, Patti would have made a better Cleopatra ! My favourite bit of the routine is the snake charming. As Rosie plays her tune, i just love the look of wonderment on Pauline's face, so much so ive chosen that for the screen cap above.
   Heres something i noticed, i reckon one of our female pharaohs straightened out the carpet during the snake charming scene. Before it one of the corners was upturned and was certainly a tripping hazard to the camel, but luckily somebody had the foresight to smooth it out. I wonder if Sue or Lulu took the `Hump` being told they got the camel job, would love to see those two decked out like the others. Anyhow, ratings time. Every time i watch this it makes me smile, so its a 9.5 from me.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Andeebee
now would of loved to of seen Sue dressed like the other girls instead of having the hump (on the camel), I think one of the girls does try a quick smooth over of the carpet.  Patti in this looks divine.  I give this a 9.5 - would of had the full 10 if there was no camel (now I've got the hump)

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Paperboyplod
Quite different from many other Legs & Co. dance routines, the Egyption theme was blatantly obvious from the off, with a shot of a bust of Tutankhamen, there was good usage of role-play, with Patti presumably playing a mummified Pharoah, but was then unravelled. The Egyption gods couldn't have been smiling on Lulu & Sue on the day that this performance was executed, they had to stand inside a camel, their heads forming it's humps, & their legs, becoming those of the camel, so we didn't really get to see them as Egyptions, so I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks, I'm marking Egyption Reggae down, by & large for that reason alone.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

This routine, as someone else said on a social networking site, is evidence enough for the powers that be to continue the repeat run into the New Year and way beyond.
Although the episode was from late November '77, there's a definite pre-Christmas pantomime feel about this performance even though the ladies play it pretty straight. I quite like the tune although it sounds like an early Sixties instrumental release.
With a title such as Egyptian Reggae, the set-up was never going to be anything less than literal , (a 'charge' against Legs & Co which I never ever think holds much water anyway) so if the song calls out for a Wilson, Keppel & Betty nod, then go ahead and DO a Wilson, Keppel & Betty nod.
The set's pretty good on this one, what with the sarcophagus and gold-sprayed fanning leaves in front of which four lovely Cleopatras bound bare-footedly, although I see none of them offering a bar of Fry's Turkish Delight to the fez-wearing camel.
Ahh, the camel. Thank heavens for the squares of gauze...at one point I feared that the camel would trip over on that carpet and collapse hump over hump. Do you reckon the ladies drew lots for that costume?
Incidentally, my parents had a carpet like that but alas not one containing a rolled up 'leg' from within. I think we had a similar laundry basket as well.
I too like Pauline's 'wonderment' acting which put me in mind of her Ma-na-ma-na expressions, when the 'bee' exits the screen stage-vertical.
A very enjoyable routine with a nicely-decorated set and four lovely Cleopatra's on display, but as we can't see half a dozen Cleo's:
9/10.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

This performance is wonderful.  There are cute Egyptian costumes (how lovely to see them all as brunettes - I know, I know Im biassed), a crazily skilled Camel, snake charming, belly dancing, carpet rolling...there`s no end to the fun.  It fits this funny little ditty very well indeed.  Did any of you used to mass-conga around the dance floor and into the public loos then onto the street then back to the dance floor to this one like I did at Uni?  Ah happy memories (except the loos and some very shocked users).  Getting back on track, I thoroughly enjoy this Dance and it's another that shows the lighter side of Flick and her Troupe and I must give it a 10.
Stu

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Stu
Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! I know some have marked it down for two of our lovelies being inside the camel but I really think this adds to it, it certainly adds to the humour of it all, and the two of them dance so well as one in the camel it only makes for an even more impressive performance for me. This is the closest so far that anything has come to toppling my favourite 'love hit me' and it was very very close.

An easy score for me....

10/10

Stuey

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

A simply splendid routine with what, without a doubt, has to be the jauntiest camel there has ever been.  This get a 10 from me.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Doc
A fun and memorable routine plus the girls look great. Great work by Flick! 10/10

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Old Bill
This is a fun one! Super. Really enjoyable, although one might say not the most complicated dancing but that's neither here nor there.

The camel makes it, although it's a shame we don't get to see Sue & Lulu. (I wonder why they didn't use 'extras' like the Disco Ducks....) but they pull some pretty nifty footwork. I was worried too about the carpet, but my eyes weren't as eagle as Ryan's so didn't notice the straightening out. You can just see a quick flash of shadow by the camel when it cuts to the snake, which is presumably someone doing something... (Wasn't snake charming an indian thing?) Anyways, - like PD says Paula's expression as she watches it rise it adorable!

Somewhat tedious song though. But smashing fun. 8/10 - would be more but it's a tad monotonous.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

VintageVideos
I just love this one, and although I can't quite make up my mind to give it full marks, it's definitely a favourite.

9.5/10 is the vote of the German jury.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
Those cleopatra’s look great and although that camel throws some great shapes I would rather the front and back legs of that particular species were out there where they should be and leave the extras to sweat it out under the pantomime camel. 6/10

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Mac are you giving enough credit to the "Ship of the Desert"?  No extras could possibly have reggaed the way Sue and Lulu did and stayed clear of that hazardous rug.   Seriously I think the camel was an absolute highlight of this routine even though I accept that it's not quite as attractive as it's contents.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
Love it....8.5/10

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
This is a very inventive performance which works really well.  Sue and Lulu do a fine job coordinating themselves within the camel, the stage is nicely dressed with stereotypical Egyptian items, and the snake charming is a highlight. I'm just glad that no one tripped over the rug! The girls are looking great in this. 9 out of 10.

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Angie
I agree with OB - a fun, super and enjoyable routine but I too find the tune a little monotonous....the girls are great but I find it a shame that Sue & Lulu are stuck in the camel costume!

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Colm
So much fun. Everyone performs perfectly. Scene-stealer has got to be Pauline for the "snake charmer" scene.

Score: 10

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

It's back to Ancient Egypt for Jonathan Richman's brand of reggae. This performance combines the epic majesty of 'Cleopatra' with the lightheartedness of a Morecambe and Wise Christmas special. All the ingredients are here; the rolled carpet, the snake charming, the camel in the fez and some Hieroglyphic high kicking to boot. It's just a pity we didn't see The Kid emerge from the Sarcophagus wrapped in bandages from head to toe, with his microphone in his hand ready for the next link.

9.5/10

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Suefan
It's a neat idea WTH but better not to upstage that rather nifty ending from the camel !

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Mikey
Wow, Flick waves her magic wand and creates something out of nothing. The star of the show is obviously the nifty dancing camel, well it was almost panto season i suppose. The barefoot dancing Cleopatra a-likes provide the icing on the cake in some great costumes with a nice break in the middle to watch Rosie charming a snake.

Not sure the rug was a great idea though, luckily Sue and Lulu are sure footed enough not to stumble.

Very entertaining but not a great record so 8/10

Re: EGYPTIAN REGGAE -- 1977

Mikey
Looks like I can't vote for the camel as COTD