EVERYBODY CLAP -- 29/04/1971

Everybody Clap
Performed by Lulu and reaching number 3 in the "Breakers" charts
(which means it was bubbling just outside the official Top 50)

Original broadcast date 29/04/1971 Duration of dance - 2.24 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbYPO5wxsUo

From time to time, Pan's People would accompany other artists on TOTP with a supportive routine. "Everybody Clap" (also known as "Everybody's Got To Clap") is such a performance. Aired on the same edition as last week's offering "Mama's Pearl", it shows our girls dancing in unchanged outfits beside Marie McDonald McLaughlin Lawrie, better known as Lulu.

Lulu seemed to be TOTP's darling in those days judging from the number of times she appeared on the show with songs that never charted. She had been very popular from 1964 to 1969 but after that period the hits quickly dried up. A lot of people probably remember her best for her Eurovision smash "Boom Bang-A-Bang" in 1969. When asked about it, she told John Peel: "I know it's a rotten song, but I won, so who cares? I'd have sung "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" standing on my head if that's what it took to win." She made a brief return to the charts with "The Man Who Sold The World" in 1974 but it would take another 19 years before she enjoyed her biggest success and only number one hit with the help of boy band Take That and a remake of "Relight My Fire".

"Everybody Clap" was written by Lulu's then-husband Maurice Gibb and her brother Billy Lawrie and produced by Maurice Gibb. The recording also featured Leslie Harvey, John Bonham and Jack Bruce. Maurice Gibb can be seen in the performance, playing acoustic guitar. For me this song proves that the assistance of established musicians does not always guarantee a good record as I think the single bombed deservedly (notwithstanding that Tony Blackburn got all excited about it and called it a "fabulous new record" and "chartbound" – well wrong again, Tony!).

Lulu was actually a real live wire and wouldn't have needed the support from Pan's People. Maybe that's why we get to see so precious little of the girls – less than 30 seconds in all – but the routine is certainly worth watching if only for the breathtaking close-ups just before the 1 min. mark.

I've added this performance as a little extra this week, because it could be regarded as the 'sister' routine of "Mama's Pearl". It isn't up for ratings or DotD but your comments are most welcome. Please don't forget to also add your ratings for "Mama's Pearl" if you haven't done so already.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

PattiforPM
Beautiful colour and clarity making me once again so sad that so many other performances are not available from this time and later.  Those close ups are indeed great but I must agree the song is a dirge and what's with the big grunt in the chorus?  Anyway a real treat to see Pans People in their Mam's Pearl glad rags again.  Pity they could have had Lulu and the ladies dancing together; now that would have been fascinating

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

BeautifulBabs
hate the song even with john bonham drumming - well worth a post but it would be only narrowly ahead of i cant stop
i dont like the grunt either p4pm

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

With MMML and her entourage invading their dancing space the ladies have generously agreed to stick around to support this song.  Over and above the call of duty if you ask me, even if they had been regulars on the lady's own show some two years earlier, but always nice to see some close-ups.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

It's easy to make comparisons with Mama's Pearl, because of the practically identical set of costumes, but from the relatively low-key appearances of Pan's People that we to get to see here, they're really enjoying themselves, supporting Lulu, no not that one, it's just a shame about the rather dismal stage scenery.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Old Bill
Sounds to me more like a Cliff Richard song this. UGH!

But yes as has been noted, the girls are criminally under utilised. UGH!

And yes, with Lulu providing enough fun herself and her colourful cheery looking back band... UGH!

...I wonder if there was any real point having them there at all? UGH!

But with the hot-pants, UGH!

and the low-button blouses UGH!

I'm sure Mary Whitehouse was glad it was less than 30secs! UGH!

Still, they looked ok to me. :-)

But the grunts....???? UGH!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Andeebee
I have no comment to make really bout this track from Mrs Bee Gee, really don't like her screeching in this, she performed much better on 'The Man Who Sold The World' (yes with Bowie on sax)

Pans look pretty enough, but they are only there, thank God, to detract from that ginger harpy

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Its one of those performances that crops up a lot on my ID routine thing, with it beginning with E. Apart from that, i cant say it means a lot to me. Sorry.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Mikey
Looks like a mini folk festival is taking place behind Lulu .

Other than the close ups though this is a waste of the ladies time, T-Rex 'Hot Love' is so much better.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

JEZ
don't like the song at all ,there was another dance troupe who also did a backing dance to this song along with lulu about the same time in 1971 ,it was the pop show whitakers world of music and the dancers I think were called pieces of eight ,so obviously the producers thought lulu needed somebody else along on stage to try and enhance her performance to this song ,I must admit though lulu has always remained very trendy

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Old Grey Whistler
I never really liked Lulu much. I preferred Dusty Springfield and Sandie Shaw.  I can't think of anything positive to say about this. It definitely belongs in Room 101.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
This is the only featured Pan's performance I haven't commented on and I'll throw in something different to usual as it's not up for ratings. Last week I went a long walk in the beautiful Worcestershire countryside. Sun shining all day long, birdsong, butterflies fluttering down the lanes, country pub. Timeless and wonderful. Seize it before summer's gone all too quickly once again. Along the way I had a look round the churchyard in the little village of Rushock. What's the connection with this routine and TOTP generally?

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze wrote
 Along the way I had a look round the churchyard in the little village of Rushock. What's the connection with this routine and TOTP generally?
I haven't much of a clue on your question GD, so i will have a wild guess. Could the churchyard be the final resting place of Maurice Gibb ?

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
You're on the right lines Ryan. Think of someone else involved who we heard for years on TOTP.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

mojo2007
Any outfit that annoyed Mary Whitehouse is ok with me. My best Lulu moment was a duet on Ready Steady Go with Tom Jones, can't remember the song but great electricity.  Odd that this was kept when so many classic numbers were lost.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
Ok. The clue in my follow-up post was heard  on TOTP for years. Rushock is the burial place of John Bonham, who provided the drumming on Everybody Clap and of course Led Zeppelin gave us the theme music played with the charts for years.

There were probably 100 drum-sticks left on the grave in tribute when I visited. Plus cymbals, coins, a tambourine, angels...and the obligatory bottle of wine. You can see many drum-sticks on the pic of his final resting place on his Wikipedia page. There's more stuff now, but it's all kept nice and neat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bonham

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Thanks for the explanation GD. On the Wiki pic, the bottle of wine has been replaced with a bottle of Vodka !

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

Good one GD, and quite obvious once you know the solution!

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

So it is. Which is inappropriate seeing it was the consumption of vodka the day before that led to his death. I suppose a bottle of wine ain't much better though.

Re: EVERYBODY CLAP -- 1971

PansLegs
Relegated to backing mode but at least there's the good down the line shot.
12