EVERYBODY DANCE -- [April]

EVERYBODY DANCE    Dance number 95 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Chic   and reaching number 9 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  13/04/78  Duration of dance --  2.33 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 91           Sue 88
Lulu 88               Gill 87
Rosie 88             Patti 87
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23uafg_legs-co-everybody-dance-totp-tx-13-04-1978-27-04-1978_creation

This one is proving a little difficult for me to comment on. Its not that i don't like the dance, i do, and the song is a terrific disco number. Its just there are no nuances or mishaps in this for me to pick out. Every thing here just seems perfect. From the mirrored ceiling, to the raised dancing platform, the girls put on a disco dancing master class, and the choice of the sparkly red outfits was spot on. I cant fault any dancer here and picking one as Dotd is difficult. Well i have to pick one and will go for the dancer who seems best in these disco routines, the supple and lissom `Sue`. Though they perform well, its not in the max category, so 9.25 out of 10 from me.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

This is of course the follow up to our current board leader "Dance, Dance, Dance" but somehow I feel there's no way it will knock its predecessor off the top. Yet it's a very good routine to a very good disco song and deserves a rating of 8.75.

And even P4PM's continuously dismissive remarks about one Mrs Hoskins can't keep me from voting for Patti as DotD.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Doc
Did anyone notice that Rosie almost had an embarrasing boob tube failure near the start, if you look carefully you can see her in the background speedily pulling it back up. Despite this she carried on with same energy for the rest of the dance, so for this she's my dotd.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Good spot Doc, you must have a keen eye ! I think its safe to say Rosie was the most blessed in that department of all the six dancers and for her to have to wear a strapless top infront of a full TOTPs audience must of been a slight concern for her. I would imagine she was relieved once the routine ended.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

A fairly straightforward routine with just Legs & Co. clad in matching mauve sequinned outfits, performing a generic dance routine with copious amounts of twirling, the studio audience, although visible, don't distract too much from the action, it's the flashing lights that present a far bigger problem, they're just too bright, & spoil any chance of seeing a nice group shot on camera.

7/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Another irresistible call to action from Rogers, Edwards and Co. which our own company accept with relish and vigour.  It's a routine that's as sparkling as the costumes and there's plenty of action which requires multiple viewings to appreciate.

For me, Dancer of the Day is Patti, but Pauline comes a close second for the best reactions during the "Doodle-doodle-doo" parts.

My score: 8.5 out of 10

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Andeebee
clap your hands clap your hands....

Stonking and rather sexy routine....not much else to say

So close on DOTD, would of been Sue, but Patti pips it (yeah yeah go on and gloat P4PM)

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Any chance of a score rating Andee ?

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Andeebee
Sorry Ryan

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Sparkling and spot on this takes me back to that great year and no mistake so a 9 from me.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

"Stonking" - nice word ADB and I totally agree.  How on Earth could someone not realise that this would be the highlight of this TOTP Show?  Great Disco vibe and performance to match.  Ladies in appropriately skimpy outfits looking the biz.  I really like the run down the stairs and then back up part at the end and yes there are some real Patti highlights here and she is undoubtedly my DotD (actually DotC[entury] but that's another tale).  This is a very enjoyable Dance and earns 9/10 from me.  May I also say I am glad people don't allow my other comments to bias their appreciation of Patti's artistry.
LNV

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

LNV
At the school-disco again it seems. This time the ladies are brought on to start off the proceedings to help us shy wallflower types get onto the dance floor. “Everybody dance, clap your hands…” An admirable outing by Legs & Co, the magenta maidens make merry so to speak, as they turn, twirl and do little back-step movements in those dinky bootees. Difficult to pick a DofD, if I must persist in this at times unfair practice of choosing one dancer as being truly singularly better than another. Gill’s hip sway movement at one point looked particularly delicious as is her way. [Think back to ‘December ’63’ as another such moment.]

8/10

DotD: Gill

I’m still awaiting delivery of my Legs & Co dancer as Jimmy almost promises to do for us. That line could be seen as an example of ‘70s male condescension towards the ladies; or am I being over sensitive on such utterances.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Just to say that `Dancer of the Day` is optional. No member who takes part in `Comments on Legs & Co` routines is under any obligation to put forward a DOTD. If i thought the practice was unfair, id scrap the idea.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

No LNV, I reckon your spot on in regard to your take on JS's comment.  It struck me as crass the first time I heard it and subsequent viewings haven't altered that view.  His remark was not just condescending towards the ladies but towards the viewing audience as well.

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

AC/PD
A quintessential Disco dance routine, which bears repeated viewing, not that the incompetent editor of the truncated show would know anything about that.
In my opinion this is a classic which oozes the music and look of 1978 discos. The sequinned hotpants, tops and bow-tie accessories , as admirbly alliterated about in LNV's description, really suit all six ladies, strutting their stuff on the Saturday Night Fever-esque dance floor and the lighting, although obscuring the troupe on occasion are part of the package.
The routine is straightforward and yet the simplicity, with no faffing around, is what makes this great. As literal interpretations go, this is 100% accurate. Pauline looks so happy here that I fear her smile will explode and she's certainly a contender. However, thanks to prominence, and the fact that Pauline still has that dratted perm, Patti's the stand out for me, despite a late surge from Sue, when the troupe dash back to join Gill.
9/10
DOTD: Patti

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

JEZ
A good happy sparkling dance ,everyone has nice big smiles ,and although the audience are in view ,i like this because legs and co are that one step higher ,but the audience do add to the party disco feel ,very good all in all ,i give a 8 .5 ,i cant give a dancer of the day because i feel that all the girls get the same attention on this routine ,this one should be shown again in a couple of weeks as a repeat ,but as you know mr s presented ,so at least we got the chance for it to be shown first time round

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
A proper disco dazzler in every sense. This truly captures the spirit of disco as the movement comes into full bloom. With Night Fever soundtracking this episode's chart countdown serving as a kind of accidental overture. A nice opening shot of Pauline's midriff! Then no extravagant moves; all fun and frothy in the very best of ways. The darkness and glaring lights is the visual price for nightlife verisimilitude. But to paraphrase Johnny Marr recently discussing Chic, if you don't enjoy this there's something wrong with you.

DOTD, Patti. The glittering starlette of starlettes here.

8.75/10

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

VintageVideos
Gorgeous Daze wrote
8.75/10
a really well balanced rating

Re: EVERYBODY DANCE -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
 I just looked and saw we had a match. Perhaps your rating had remained in my subconscious...actually that's my first quarterly rating and I wondered if it was the right thing to do. I don't think I will make a habit of it but I think its justified on rare occasions. It reminds me of an old history lecturer of mine who as well as B+, C+, D+, etc, would also mark work B++,  C++, D++ etc.