EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

VintageVideos
Everything's Tuesday
Performed by Chairmen Of The Board and reaching number 12 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 25/02/1971 Duration of dance - 2.43 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
https://youtu.be/4mdcePO_Lkc

Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, collectively known as Holland-Dozier-Holland (or simply H-D-H), were one of Motown's premier songwriting and production teams between 1962 and 1967. Following a dispute with Berry Gordy Jr. over profit-sharing and royalties, the threesome left Motown to start their own labels, Invictus Records and Hot Wax Records.

One of the artists signed to Invictus was Chairmen of the Board, a quartet that hit the top 3 on both sides of the Atlantic with its first single release "Give Me Just A Little More Time". Even though all four members of the CotB would sing lead vocals on their albums, it was the distinctive voice of General Johnson that was showcased on the 45s and thus became their trademark.

"Everything's Tuesday" was the Chairmen's third single release, climbing to No. 12 in the UK in March 1971. Like many American artists, the CotB rarely visited the TOTP studios (not at all before June 1971), which is why their records were destined to be danced to by Pan's People. And that's exactly what happened when "Everything's Tuesday" went up to No. 20 in its second week on the charts. Fortunately this is one of the very few TOTP editions from 1971 that still exist in the BBC archive, even if only as an unedited studio tape.

Admittedly the costumes do look a bit odd in this routine, and I presume they might not go down well with the OFTD community. But apart from that, I really like this routine. It's a very cheerful dance with a lot of variety. The routine also features one of the best intros ever with Flick slyly smiling under her big hat before she turns her pretty head around and walks towards the stage as if she's going to say, "come along with me, I'd like to show you something!". Last but not least it's great to have another dance with the complete line-up of the classic period.

I suspect that this may - once again - divide us, but I'll be going quite high with my rating and award

9 / 10

DotD: Ruth
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

PansLegs
Lovely to see a routine that begins on a close-up of Flick and this one has a few unusual moments... we think there's only five dancers to start and then we see half a minute in that Ruth is there. It's great to see the girls in hats for a change and the costumes are feminine without being revealing.

There's a certain tweeness about the proceedings but it's all quite fun even though some of the camera angles seems to be at odds with Flick's choreography and therefore certain attempts at visual uniformity don't come across. Just after a centre-point involving Babs there's a bizarre carousel movement that doesn't work well at all which is no fault of the camera work, but no doubt a lack of rehearsal time and the hurry of recording a single take meant there was no room to finesse things. A pleasant routine but ultimately nothing too special. 7.5/10 DotD Flick for the near constant smile and starting the performance so well.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Well I'm a bit torn to be honest and I'm almost one of those OFTDs splitters Vin mentions but in the end I think Flick did a commendable job with what I regard as a quite ghastly melody which imposes a skipping rhythm on the Troupe and almost commands them to wear goofy clothing.  I can't say I like the clothes or the song then but I just admire the fact that someone was able to make a watchable performance out of this.  Also I can just about clamber over these lyrics by thinking about Tuesday Weld so they become slightly more bearable than that other dirge about the wretched Bill and his female stalker.  I see I'm digressing badly.  Anyway I do like the opening section here but do think it fades a little at the end and I think 7/10  is fair as it could have been a whole lot worse.  Flick is getting my DotD too for a good performance and for her inventive mind

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

I quite like the oufits, particularly those hats, although I'd have voted for skirts in the same material as the tops rather than those trouser things.  I would agree that the camera work isn't the best but the dance bowls along very nicely.  Very evocative of the period and brings to mind a particular lazy afternoon trying to master a punt on the Cam so I'm giving it an 8.5 with Flick as my Dotd.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

A delightful display of frantic sashaying around the stage, just about sums up this performance, but I couldn't help thinking that it must've been stiflingly hot in all of that clothing in a television studio where temperatures would be relatively high.
The gymnastics with the legs really does add a tad extra something to what may have gotten a bit bland part-way through the dance routine, & Ruth's close-up camera shots, are added bonuses.

8/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Old Grey Whistler
It's a dreary tune with dreary costumes to match but luckily the choreography is pretty good. I think the white gloves work quite well in accentuating the hand movements, which seem to be an integral part of this routine. The end result is okay but in truth I don't think it is one that I will view very often, so a score of 7.5 out of 10 is about as high as I can go.
There is no obvious choice for DOTD. I will pick Andrea.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Horrible costumes and a drab song make this a routine i try avoid (except when im making picture quizzes as it begins with the letter E and can be quite useful in that respect).

DOTD- Sorry, i just cant pick one as no one really stands out for me.

Rating-`3.5 out of 10`.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Gorgeous Daze
It's said to the point of cliché how poor the mid-seventies period between glam and punk was, but for me it wasn't so bad. No, although there is a scattering of gems and goodies to be found it's the time between psychedelia and glam that's the real wasteland as far as I'm concerned and here's Exhibit #529: Soul By Numbers. And deary me, the routine is suitably unappealing. Costumes like a grey blanket sky on a summer day and although there's plenty of variety in the dancing the twee style irons it all out.

E's are good for the quiz-setter but I don't have that in its favour. Awarding a little credit for the complexity I'll be Deputy Chairman of the Bored and go 4/10.   DOTD Louise.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Mikey
Unashamedly twee, quirky and feminine. pure and simple and i love it. 9/10. DOTD Ruth.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

SuPaLu
It's quite a cheerful routine and much of the dancing is very appealing.A favourite bit is the sequence near the start when three are sitting on the edge of the stage with two others dancing behind them.8/10
DotD:Flick

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

yup, more like it, super costumes, they look fantastic in this. drab track, but ignore that and look at what is on offer. simple but at times too simple.

Scores: 9/10

DOTD: the lovely Ruth

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Doc
One of the few survivors from when Flick had an extra large stage to play with and it's nice to see how she exploited it. Not sure about the outfits but I'll think it probably just shades a 9/10.
Dotd: Ruth.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Dancer
I loved this song and anything else this group did.  The costumes I really did not like.  The routine was okayish and not one I run to watch over and over again but is a filler.  I will give this dance eight out of ten and Ruth gets best dancer.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Old Bill
I don't I've heard Rs rolled with such relish on the Pops before!

At 1min in when the line up to bend various ways to presumably make a sort-of star-shape I reckon they're in the wrong spot.
Louise, Babs and Dee Dee (I think) at the back don't get a look in. I can't believe it was supposed to be that way. You can just see a white gloved hand sticking out on the (our) right, when surely we should seeing some hatted-heads as well.
If they'd lined up in the middle of the catwalk - right in front of the camera - it would've worked a treat. I wonder what Flick was thinking at the time!

I'm not crazy about this one, too much scampering about and those outfits...?!

5/10 and DotD - for some reason Dee Dee really stands out for me.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Everything'sRosie
Everything's been rosy. Wow, I was almost name-checked in the lyrics! That has to help. CotB were chart regulars back then, and this jaunty number offers good material for a dance routine. And the ladies deliver using the full breadth of the stage. Nice to see all six of them, but those outfits were very much of their time. 8/10 And I'll give Flick Dancer of the Day.

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

Lookmacinanger
This is a tricky one to call, with the routine and outfits undoubtedly showing their early 1970’s credentials. Time (or is it the sea) can be cruel mistress and I’m afraid this routine, has suffered on that score. I will celebrate the chance to enjoy the dancing abilities of a full house of Pans in their pomp and the CoTB always delivered great harmonies which were worth a listen. 6/10

Re: EVERYTHING'S TUESDAY -- 25/02/1971

CoffeeThing
I liked the routine and the music too. Yes the outfits were unusual but the dancing was enjoyable. 7.5/10 and DOTD is Louise, very narrowly ahead of Flick but nothing really between them.